Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BillyShears said:
sjk2008 said:
BillyShears said:
Nothing of the sort. His contract extension isn't an extension. Nor has his buy out changed. He's gotten a pay rise to bring him in line with Ronaldo, that's about it. Both Barca and the Jorge Messi have left the buyout intact for a reason.

It isn't going to happen, Billy.

Why ?

OK, before I go into it, when do you think this transfer is likely to happen?

edit: I also believe his current contract runs til 2018, whereas this has been extended to 2019.

sjk2008 said:
BillyShears said:
sjk2008 said:
It isn't going to happen, Billy.

Why ?

I'd prefer if you just answered the question. If you're going to tell me a transfer is never going to happen, you should back it up with something other than "he's Barca for life". Comments like that totally ignore the complicated and political nature of Spanish football.

BillyShears said:
sjk2008 said:
BillyShears said:

I'd prefer if you just answered the question. If you're going to tell me a transfer is never going to happen, you should back it up with something other than "he's Barca for life". Comments like that totally ignore the complicated and political nature of Spanish football.

OK, well if Barca were of the belief that City were to be bidding a sum that would activate this buyout clause, why would they not only decide to pay a player who is already earning an absolute packet more money given they would probably also be of the belief that he'd be open to a move to City, and also extend the contract by another year?

Surely if they felt a suitable bid was incoming, and that they player would be more than interested, I just dont see the point whatsoever in bowing down to Messi's demands.

sjk2008 said:
OK, well if Barca were of the belief that City were to be bidding a sum that would activate this buyout clause, why would they not only decide to pay a player who is already earning an absolute packet more money given they would probably also be of the belief that he'd be open to a move to City, and also extend the contract by another year?

Surely if they felt a suitable bid was incoming, and that they player would be more than interested, I just dont see the point whatsoever in bowing down to Messi's demands.

The flip side is that they tell Messi to swing because they believe he's eyeing up a move elsewhere. Messi then tells the world that Barcelona won't pay him what Ronaldo earns. The world ie. Barcelona supporters - then turn up en masse to demand the resignation of the current board.

Barcelona had zero choices this summer with regards Messi's contract. He had made it clear via performances in the last 3 months and the media that he felt undervalued by Barca. This put Barca in a position where they needed to do something because ultimately it's one thing to have the best player in the world, but if he isn't playing like that because he's unhappy, then his value is plummeting as is the value of your club's brand.

Lets look at the renewal itself. You're saying the contract is until 2019 ... that's not actually been confirmed by anyone, including the Catalan media closest to the club. But okay, lets say he's extended by 12 months. Why haven't Barcelona insisted on upping his buy out? Baring in mind Ronaldo's buy out is literally one billion euros, you would think that Barca would have the power to tell Messi, if you want that money, we insert a similar buy out.

At the very least make it a buy out which is unrealistic ... because lets face it, if Bale is worth 100 million pounds, Messi's worth twice that. In fact nobody would argue he's worth every penny of the 250 million euro buy out.

I understand that it is difficult for the casual observer to see Messi anywhere but Barca ... but to say it's a transfer that will never happen is naive IMO.

BillyShears said:
sjk2008 said:

The flip side is that they tell Messi to swing because they believe he's eyeing up a move elsewhere. Messi then tells the world that Barcelona won't pay him what Ronaldo earns. The world ie. Barcelona supporters - then turn up en masse to demand the resignation of the current board.

Barcelona had zero choices this summer with regards Messi's contract. He had made it clear via performances in the last 3 months and the media that he felt undervalued by Barca. This put Barca in a position where they needed to do something because ultimately it's one thing to have the best player in the world, but if he isn't playing like that because he's unhappy, then his value is plummeting as is the value of your club's brand.

Lets look at the renewal itself. You're saying the contract is until 2019 ... that's not actually been confirmed by anyone, including the Catalan media closest to the club. But okay, lets say he's extended by 12 months. Why haven't Barcelona insisted on upping his buy out? Baring in mind Ronaldo's buy out is literally one billion euros, you would think that Barca would have the power to tell Messi, if you want that money, we insert a similar buy out.

At the very least make it a buy out which is unrealistic ... because lets face it, if Bale is worth 100 million pounds, Messi's worth twice that. In fact nobody would argue he's worth every penny of the 250 million euro buy out.

I understand that it is difficult for the casual observer to see Messi anywhere but Barca ... but to say it's a transfer that will never happen is naive IMO.

IMO, whether the buy out is £250bn or £1bn, both are pretty unrealistic given current FFP conditions, so that's why I don't think they're THAT bothered about it. Perhaps the club feel that if someone comes in with a bid of £250bn, they'd consider it anyway, even if Messi wasn't demanding a move himself.

I just think that signing a new, improved & extended contract is a sign that Messi is happy to remain at Barcelona for the forseeable future, and not just a reaction from the Barcelona board to appease their fanbase. There isn't much point in upping his salary to make him the best paid player on the planet for a a couple of months/a year until someone like City come and place a bid, all to please a section of support for a short period of time.

Barca statement.......

Barcelona have released a statement confirming that an agreement has been reached "to adjust the terms in the contract binding Leo Messi to the club", with the Argentine expected to put pen to paper early next week.

The two parties have now ironed out the last remaining kinks in the deal, leading to the announcement clearing up any doubts over the forward's future.

The contract will likely be signed on Monday or Tuesday next week, before Messi jets off to join up with Argentina's World Cup warm-up camp.

The new deal includes basic wages of €20 million after tax per season, plus a further €5 million in performance-related bonuses (based on appearances made, goals scored and targets met).

In addition, as the star had been pushing for, Messi's contract will also be extended for a further year, tying him to the club until 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.