Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume you’re taking the piss?

No I'm not. I don't watch La Liga. Only saw him recently when they went out to Liverpool last season.

I'm not averse to him coming but are Barcelona set up to get the best out of him? If so would we have to replicate it? Or can he play in one of our positions without us losing anything? David Silva is the only player of a similar age we have had in the team recently, would it be the same position?

Going back to that Liverpool game at Anfield Barcelona needed everyone to match their intensity but my abiding memory was of an isolated Messi starved of service, offering nothing defensively.

Last edited:
This is all based on an article by Guillem Ballbag, enough said. Just another “look at me” empty vessel that makes a lot of noise. Move on

Let's not bring forward trivial issues such as where he will play and whether he is good anymore or one of the more famous tales of whether he would survive a cold rainy night in stoke.

He is Lionel fucking Messi. He could play football on a Sea shore against Poseidon and would still score 5 goals.

But there are still a 100 realistic things what may stop this transfer but the only City concern if this fairy tale ever comes true, would be how much will he cost.
But with Messi on board and smart MBAs on our management team we can pay him 100 million on wages/rights and still make some decent money on account of shirt sales and sponsorships only.

The thing IMHO this deal will change ,is the perception of Man City as a club. Lionel Messi plays for us. We become the Barcelona, Madrid and Bayern level of a football club. The thing that may finally knock United off their perch. We are a better team but they still are the bigger brand.
We get millions of new followers and with the immortal Pep/Messi combination we will present the world one last time, before the G.O.A.T hangs up his boots, our brand increases exponentially. Easier to recruit new players, better football and sponsorship deals and an envy to English football.
I can live with that.

Having said that - there is a 99.9% chance this deal would never happen so let's work together bringing Koulibaly to City. Shall we ?

Last edited:
No I'm not. I don't watch La Liga. Only saw him recently when they went out to Liverpool last season.

I'm not averse to him coming but are Barcelona set up to get the best out of him? If so would we have to replicate it? Or can he play in one of our positions without us losing anything? David Silva is the only player of a similar age we have had in the team recently, would it be the same position?

Going back to that Liverpool game at Anfield Barcelona needed everyone to match their intensity but my abiding memory was of an isolated Messi starved of service, offering nothing defensively.
Messi would most likely play wide right ahead of Mahrez, it’s where he’s spent the majority of his career.

Pep did like to use him down the middle in the role that Aguero and Jesus play for us and that’s when he scored 60 in a season.

He would be capable of playing where Silva does but I don’t think that would be getting the best out of him.

I don’t think we’d have to change the way we play at all, the team shape is already the absolute perfect set up for Messi.

Considering our team shape isn't a million miles away from Messi's most successful period (Thanks Pep), I think he'd slot right in. Wide right, maybe in the old David Silva role, and False 9 when Aguero's not around. 2/3 years, the commercial revenue, the love we'd get in Argentina (pre season in Buenos Aires anyone?), it'd pay off. And imagine, especially for those of us who go to the games getting to watch Leo Messi every week. It'd be an honour to have him wear a City shirt.

A fucking squad player?!! Hahaa!!

He’s the greatest player ever to play the game.

He’s the current holder of the Balon D’Or.

He’s got as many assists as Kevin DeBruyne this season, who’s on course to break the PL record.

He’s the top scorer in La Liga this season with 22 goals in 28 games.

He averages more than a goal a game over the previous 3 seasons.

“Wouldn’t be terrible”?? He’d be the best player in the league, by an absolute mile.

A lot of what you’ve described is because the whole Barcelona team is built around him. Pep initiated it, what, 10 years ago?

Moving to a new club, at 34, and playing for the first time in the most physically challenging league, even for the best player to ever play, will be difficult.

Claiming he’ll automatically be the best player in the league is nonsense.

The team will have to adapt to fit him in and that, given his wage demands, is what I’m cautious about.

A lot of what you’ve described is because the whole Barcelona team is built around him. Pep initiated it, what, 10 years ago?

Moving to a new club, at 34, and playing for the first time in the most physically challenging league, even for the best player to ever play, will be difficult.

Claiming he’ll automatically be the best player in the league is nonsense.

The team will have to adapt to fit him in and that, given his wage demands, is what I’m cautious about.
When you say “the team is built around him”, what specifically do you mean?

Barca play 433, high line, dominate possession and try to get Messi isolated 1v1 against a fullback.

City play 433, high line, dominate possession and try to get Sterling / Mahrez isolated against a fullback.

There would be no team rebuilding required. It’s good to go.

Those with their snouts in the trough would need to come up with VAR2 - Son of VAR © to negate the impact of Messi in their rotten League.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.