Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think he will end up at PSG. I understand when people put up footballing reasons about why he should come here but it must be quite enticing to play with Neymar again add in Mbappe and living in Paris it doesn't sound too shabby at the end of his career. It seems to be universally accepted that the PL is a harder more physical league does he want that at this stage in his career. Everything around him at Barca is a shit show at the moment so I can see the appeal of PSG he also has as good a chance of winning the CL with them as us. I don't have any proof of course but my gut says they would pay him more than us as well. I know this is trivial but how often do things change over little things but I read his wife is obsessed with fashion it may be an easier sell to get her to uproot to Paris because of that. Messi is in a position that he has nothing to prove he will always be the greatest footballer in most peoples eyes I can see why people think he should come to us but I can understand the reasoning behind it if he chooses Ligue 1.
We'll give them a free run

to me it looks like as though his priorities have changed since last year, looks like hes more focused on family over sporting projects, and if its true that hes already agreed a new deal with barca then it fits, and imo theres nothing wrong with that
He probably has agreed a new (reduced) deal but if barca can't pay it or want to reduce it further then that brings a possible move into play.

They're obviously wriggling like a wriggly thing to try and meet the contract they offered by pegging everyone else on the payroll.

Can they find a way out on their own, with teabags help, the leagues help, UEFA's help or are they fucked?

I'll be a couple of weeks yet I think until we know the endgame for this.

I honestly think he will end up at PSG. I understand when people put up footballing reasons about why he should come here but it must be quite enticing to play with Neymar again add in Mbappe and living in Paris it doesn't sound too shabby at the end of his career. It seems to be universally accepted that the PL is a harder more physical league does he want that at this stage in his career. Everything around him at Barca is a shit show at the moment so I can see the appeal of PSG he also has as good a chance of winning the CL with them as us. I don't have any proof of course but my gut says they would pay him more than us as well. I know this is trivial but how often do things change over little things but I read his wife is obsessed with fashion it may be an easier sell to get her to uproot to Paris because of that. Messi is in a position that he has nothing to prove he will always be the greatest footballer in most peoples eyes I can see why people think he should come to us but I can understand the reasoning behind it if he chooses Ligue 1.
All valid points, but the language maybe a barrier he, and his family, won't want to hurdle.
But I think pep is our ace card. 2 years with Pep in the sunset of his career. Just like the good old days!!
Personally I would love the greatest player of all time to play for City, even 2 seasons when he's starting to show wear and tear. It would just be a golden signing.
Just imagine how good foden would get playing alongside Messi for 2 years.

Last edited:
I know this may be reaching but I can't get past the fact that if he was going to stay why the hell didn't he sign the contract knowing by not signing it he was adding extra problems for Barca with registering him as a free agent.
I'm going into conspiracy theory here but did Laporta and Messi arrange the way this has played out.

Messi makes it clear he wants to leave, stays and says nothing after that
Messi supports Laporta for president and says nothing while Laporta is saying Messi will stay if he wins
Laporta wins and keeps banging the same drum whilst revealing the finances are worse than he thought
Laporta makes it clear Messi is prepared to take a pay cut but due to FFP it still wouldn't be enough and he would have to get rid of so many players and they can't make them leave so his hands are tied.
Laporta makes a show of running round asking LaLiga to help knowing they can't
Messi gets to say I wanted to stay but couldn't, Laporta says we tried everything but couldn't make it work

It seems like both parties got what they wanted, Messi a move and Laporta to win and both could walk away from this not seeming a villain. Messi could even stretch it by saying no one else would move so I had to go to help Barca due to the state of the finances. I don't believe for one second they didn't know the situation financially before the contract expired. I know I've probably read too much Agatha Christie but I don't understand how Messi let himself become a free agent if he really wants to stay.

to me it looks like as though his priorities have changed since last year, looks like hes more focused on family over sporting projects, and if its true that hes already agreed a new deal with barca then it fits, and imo theres nothing wrong with that

Based on what does that look so? he has not said anything at all.

I don't have problems with people who believe messi might land at city, it's clearly a possibility since barca has financial issues that are not easy to resolve.

what I don't understand is people who somehow think messi prefers signing for city than staying at barca. that's just delusional at this point.
I don't know what the outcome of the Messi mambo will be but I am still struggling to understand how running your contract down and not signing a new one is proof that you love Barcelona NOW "with all your heart". And if Messi signs for City the only conclusion to be drawn is that NOW he prefers signing for City. That might be because City pay him and pay him regularly rather that not at all, or that City can register him or that we stand a better chance of winning silverware - but signing for City would NOT show that he would have preferred to be at Barca. Circumstances count for and change a lot.

He probably has agreed a new (reduced) deal but if barca can't pay it or want to reduce it further then that brings a possible move into play.

They're obviously wriggling like a wriggly thing to try and meet the contract they offered by pegging everyone else on the payroll.

Can they find a way out on their own, with teabags help, the leagues help, UEFA's help or are they fucked?

I'll be a couple of weeks yet I think until we know the endgame for this.

Took the words out of my mouth. He might have wanted to stay but now at a reduced salary and the squad probably won’t be competitive at all. Major rethink possibly?

Based on what does that look so? he has not said anything at all.
based on the fact that it seems like as though he has agreed a deal with a significant paycut and with the team clearly not being competitive enough to win the champions league and maybe not even la liga, i just cant see why he would stay if he wanted a good sporting project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.