LIV golf and it's implications for football

law74

With the ongoing legal challenges between the LIV Golf tour and the existing two tours regarding the awarding of points for qualification for other tour competitions, could this have an affect on Association Football?
Currently ALL football (not egg chasing or gridiron or that nonsense of course), is run under the FIFA Umbrella and if the greedy wish to break away and form a European "Super" League, FIFA, through its umbrella organisation, could (& I believe should) give them the "Kerry Packer" treatment from cricket, ten year ban for ANYONE and EVERYONE involved from Association Football.
From the coach of the Under 8's to sponsors and broadcaster's, journalists etc banned from the World Cup, banned from covering games, banned from any and all aspects of the game.

However, if the golfers win their legal challenges against the PGA, then this course of action may now be in breach of legislation.

Interesting and worrying times.

In all seriousness,and believe me when I say it isn't mega important,but once we win the CL I will be satisfied that I've seen us win the lot,and never thought I would be saying this back in 1980 when i first went.

The game can go wherever it wants for me,and I will probably become an armchair supporter then,I won't pay no more directly kind of thing.

We all know how it's changed,and will only get worse,and the European super league will definitely happen sooner rather than later,inevitable unfortunately.

With the ongoing legal challenges between the LIV Golf tour and the existing two tours regarding the awarding of points for qualification for other tour competitions, could this have an affect on Association Football?
Currently ALL football (not egg chasing or gridiron or that nonsense of course), is run under the FIFA Umbrella and if the greedy wish to break away and form a European "Super" League, FIFA, through its umbrella organisation, could (& I believe should) give them the "Kerry Packer" treatment from cricket, ten year ban for ANYONE and EVERYONE involved from Association Football.
From the coach of the Under 8's to sponsors and broadcaster's, journalists etc banned from the World Cup, banned from covering games, banned from any and all aspects of the game.

However, if the golfers win their legal challenges against the PGA, then this course of action may now be in breach of legislation.

Interesting and worrying times.
That’ll be the “Kerry Packer” ban that did not survive its first restraint of trade legal challenge by Snow, Procter and Greig will it?

The ace (well, 2 really) against the formation of the super duper league is a fan backlash again, and the fear of fifa banning players from international football.
Don't under estimate how much this will affect players decisions. A lot of footballers will not go anywhere near it if they cannot play for their country.
Not only that, if the club takes a player into a league that eliminates his ability to play in internationals, you will see court cases against clubs, with players wanting to cancel contracts, or compensation.
If this golf thing is allowed to work within the world rankings, it will be a bad day for football. A precedent will be set.

That’ll be the “Kerry Packer” ban that did not survive its first restraint of trade legal challenge by Snow, Procter and Greig will it?
I have to admit that I was 8 when Packer formed his breakaway league, and couldn't remember all the legal issues, but remember that it was short lived as the cricketing authorities clamped down on it like they SHOULD have done with the IPL instead of giving in to the demise of that game.

Though I still think that the legal issues with golf could have a big bearing on football.

I don't see the parallel really. LIV will rack up unlimited financial losses but -- make no mistake -- LIV has zero interest in co-existing with the PGA. The goal is to completely uproot and subsume the PGA, to displace it and then kill it dead. I don't think the goal of the SL is to kill off FIFA. It's to protect the financial interests of club owners, which can co-exist with FIFA governance. In golf's case, there are only two "owners" -- LIV's and the PGA's.

I am guessing the difference in jurisdiction will be important, as will the "European Sports Model" and the ECJ's previous recognition of European sports bodies and their competitions.

I expect the ECJ will confirm UEFA's governance role and it's right to stage competitions, but will also recognise that they can't stop other competitions as long as they comply with some sporting criteria to be defined by UEFA. They may be criticised for not having those rules already, but they can be formulated in such a way that the ESL loses its appeal to the big European clubs: inclusion on merit, promotion and relegation, sharing of revenue through the pyramid etc. That, together with an increased prize money in the CL should see UEFA safe I think.

Of course, this could all be bullshit :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.