Liz Truss

Great précis and sums up my thinking. Not sure I’m as comfortable as @bluenova at state management of unemployment, at least not in that way. All governments manage employment to sone extent, but I’m not sure the way it was managed in the pre-Thatcher years was sustainable.

As BrianW has pointed out, Thatcher, for ideological reasons, pushed unemployment to levels that were comparable with the Great Depression of the 1930s.

If that's not state management of unemployment, I don't know what is.

The theory that a Government should try and encourage an economy where people can find a job, rather than have no choice but to claim benefits, is surely not controversial. It's probably one of the main economic ideas that would unite most of the left and right.

As BrianW has pointed out, Thatcher, for ideological reasons, pushed unemployment to levels that were comparable with the Great Depression of the 1930s.

If that's not state management of unemployment, I don't know what is.

The theory that a Government should try and encourage an economy where people can find a job, rather than have no choice but to claim benefits, is surely not controversial. It's probably one of the main economic ideas that would unite most of the left and right.
i did acknowledge all governments mange employment tbf.

There was a clear distinction between Thatcher’s approach and what preceded her. I’m saying I think that was a necessary change as the previous model wasn’t sustainable. The change was inevitable and necessary imo. I don’t expect you’ll agree with that.

i did acknowledge all governments mange employment tbf.

There was a clear distinction between Thatcher’s approach and what preceded her. I’m saying I think that was a necessary change as the previous model wasn’t sustainable. The change was inevitable and necessary imo. I don’t expect you’ll agree with that.

Obviously economies need to change over time - I'd argue that Thatcher tried to force change quickly, using millions of people's lives as collateral, and that doing it so quickly not only ruined lives, but wasn't ideal for the economy either.

Truss is a laughing stock because she caused so much damage so quickly, and was ousted. There's a strong argument that Thatcher was much more reckless with the economy when she came into power.

Truss is a laughing stock because she caused so much damage so quickly, and was ousted. There's a strong argument that Thatcher was much more reckless with the economy when she came into power.
Truss is what happens when the ventriloquist dies, and you are left with the dummy

Thatcher is the 'reality of capitalism' at a certain cycle. It was scarcely unprecedented to have 3 million unemployed. It happened in the 30s, without Thatcher, to give but one example. The only difference was she actively promoted unemployment as a way of cutting wage inflation and breaking the power of unions. It worked - from her POV and that of the many who thought like her.

What we had between 1945 and 1979 was capitalism managed to minimise unemployment. That was why, for example, huge factories created to build and maintain steam locos were continued, year after year, until they became completely untenable. Because many employed 2000-3000 skilled and semi-skilled men whose training fitted them for very little else in a changed world. No one - not even the Tories of the time - relished putting these guys on the dole. In fact, for many years they shrank from it.

It was a priority by political consensus, after 1945, to maintain full employment. People were scarred by the 1930s and it believed - rightly, I think - that mass unemployment had contributed to the rise of fascism. (It certainly had in Germany.)

For a time this was not hard to achieve. There was plenty of work reconstructing the UK, and there was a natural shortage of men caused by death and disablement in WW2. This led to both immigration and a growing role for women. Inflation arising from the choice occasionally caused concern, but no one wanted to tackle it. Until, as inflation does, it began to run out of control in the 1970s.

Thatcher believed this consensus led to inefficiency, overmanning, excessive power for unions and high inflation. It's hard to deny she was at least partly right, but her 'solution' was brutal and broke the social cohesion of the UK. Arguably forever. We have never been quite the same country again, because we went down the path of kowtowing to individual greed and selfishness.
"There is no such thing as society" ...Thatcher, 1987.

"There is no such thing as society" ...Thatcher, 1987.
Not quite. Full quote:

I think we have gone through a period when too many children and people have been given to understand ‘I have a problem, it is the Government’s job to cope with it!’ or ‘I have a problem, I will go and get a grant to cope with it!’ ‘I am homeless, the Government must house me!’ and so they are casting their problems on society and who is society? There is no such thing! There are individual men and women and there are families and no government can do anything except through people and people look to themselves first.

… [It] is, I think, one of the tragedies in which many of the benefits we give, which were meant to reassure people that if they were sick or ill there was a safety net and there was help, that many of the benefits which were meant to help people who were unfortunate … [t]hat was the objective, but somehow there are some people who have been manipulating the system … when people come and say: ‘But what is the point of working? I can get as much on the dole!’

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.