Looking for a career change in the new year...

Oh, the joys of working for a living. I'm rertired now and it's bloody brilliant. No more corporate bullshit for me.

I don't envy you guys with the shitstorm that's about to happen, but I wish you the best of luck, whatever direction you choose.

I did the same myself, 20 years or so ago. I had a high flying job in finance and management and was well paid, but it gave me no satisfaction whatsoever. I literally walked out of the office I was so bored with it all.

I trained as a coach driver, and it was the best decision I ever made. I loved it, being paid to see the mist in the valleys as the sun was coming up. It worked for me, and I was a lot happier for it. My friends and family noticed the change, and so did I.

I was miserable for years looking at myself in the mirror every morning dreading the drudgery of the day ahead. I never had that feeling when I left that world behind and found inner contentment.

'This isn't a job to me, it's a hobby'. Oh, please. Leave the bullshit behind and live your life.

M
Renewable energy is the place to be. I recently left working in an office environment as a design manager in a Marketing team and set up on my own. My creativity etc. went through the roof and I went and done my PfCo drone license and bought a Mavic 2 Pro. Pretty good opportunities coming my way and I have the freedom associated with being my own boss without having to work for a 3rd generation of family fuckwits.

What area in renewable? Engineering, environmental etc?
Most probably the engineering side. I would love to design systems and look at them from financial (risk and reward) aspect.
I started a masters in Renewable Energy this year and it seems to be going well.
The idea of working for myself is pretty appealing as well.

Oh, the joys of working for a living. I'm rertired now and it's bloody brilliant. No more corporate bullshit for me.

I don't envy you guys with the shitstorm that's about to happen, but I wish you the best of luck, whatever direction you choose.

I did the same myself, 20 years or so ago. I had a high flying job in finance and management and was well paid, but it gave me no satisfaction whatsoever. I literally walked out of the office I was so bored with it all.

I trained as a coach driver, and it was the best decision I ever made. I loved it, being paid to see the mist in the valleys as the sun was coming up. It worked for me, and I was a lot happier for it. My friends and family noticed the change, and so did I.

I was miserable for years looking at myself in the mirror every morning dreading the drudgery of the day ahead. I never had that feeling when I left that world behind and found inner contentment.

'This isn't a job to me, it's a hobby'. Oh, please. Leave the bullshit behind and live your life.
Great advice.

Life is too short to be unhappy,especially at work.10 years ago,i never dreamt i'd be doing the job i am now,as i believed i was stuck in a career/calling,and there was nothing else out there.

I now work less hours,with far less stress,and much more money......Most importantly,i'm far more content.Hopefully another 12 years and i can put my feet up properly.

If you're thinking about it,then you have reason.....so make the move.

Good on you man! I wish I could advise my parents to do the same but I know they simply can't afford it. Genuinely wish one day I fell into a load of money so i could 'free' them from their drudgery. They're 60 and tired. Can see it every day.

Any advice, been working in the sport/Leisure industry for 5 years now and fancy a change next year. What’s the best websites/tips for looking for new work, how did people decide on what they wanted to do as their career
There’s many traditional jobs disappearing with modernisation and Covid.
First of all look at the growth sectors or those with a traditional shortage e.g. HGV Drivers.
Assess your transferable skills and make a note of them. Ask friends to give you an honest assessment of your personal attributes.
Look at job adverts and be critical of whether you meet the criteria.
You could also look at who you want to work for as opposed to what sector. Many organisations will only advertise on their website these days.
Put the effort and research in and your half way there.
And don’t forget to utilise any contacts you have. It really does work.
Hope this helps?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.