Lords Reform is dead.

Halfpenny

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19149212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19149212</a>

So, it's gone. Let's be honest, they were never going to win round the Tories but this is the latest embarrassment for Nick Clegg. The Lib Dems have essentially achieved nothing in the time they've propped the Tories up on the way to destroying their tuition fees pledge, cut public services into oblivion and unleashed further privatisation on the NHS. In other words, they've committed electoral suicide and they have absolutely nothing to show for it.

It also appears the boundary changes and the reduction in the number of MPs have gone the same way. This is where Labour are the clear winners and say what you like about Ed Miliband, he's played a blinder here. He recognised that by not opposing Lords reform outright but allowing the coalition partners to fight it out themselves, it would be an easy way of getting boundary changes out of the way, and thus have much more of an advantage in the 2015 election. And sure enough, it's all gone his way. Very good tactics.

Could be the end of the coalition. The tory right will want revenge..

A bad day allround for Cameron with that and Mensch quitting too.

Halfpenny said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19149212
It also appears the boundary changes and the reduction in the number of MPs have gone the same way. This is where Labour are the clear winners and say what you like about Ed Miliband, he's played a blinder here. He recognised that by not opposing Lords reform outright but allowing the coalition partners to fight it out themselves, it would be an easy way of getting boundary changes out of the way, and thus have much more of an advantage in the 2015 election. And sure enough, it's all gone his way. Very good tactics.

I agree with everything you say, but Ed Millibland as Prime Minister?!?

I'm currently watching the West Wing, where one of the characters say "It's Bob Russell's all the way from here on in". He's dubbed the bland candidate in the show, and it's so true of modern day British politics. Look at the cabinets involved: -

Shadow Cabinet
Harriet Harman
Ed Balls
Douglas Alexander
Stephen Twigg
Andy Burnham

Government
George Osbourne
Kenneth Clarke
William Hague
Michael Gove
Theresa May
Nick Clegg
Liam Fox

There's only really one guy I rate in that lot who could potentially be a leader, which is William Hague who handled the 'hotel room' story fantastically well. But he has already had one shot at leading the party, and failed to lead the Conservatives back into power.

mancmackem said:
Halfpenny said:

I'm currently watching the West Wing, where one of the characters say "It's Bob Russell's all the way from here on in". He's dubbed the bland candidate in the show, and it's so true of modern day British politics. Look at the cabinets involved: -

Shadow Cabinet
Harriet Harman
Ed Balls
Douglas Alexander
Stephen Twigg
Andy Burnham

Government
George Osbourne
Kenneth Clarke
William Hague
Michael Gove
Theresa May
Nick Clegg
Liam Fox

There's only really one guy I rate in that lot who could potentially be a leader, which is William Hague who handled the 'hotel room' story fantastically well. But he has already had one shot at leading the party, and failed to lead the Conservatives back into power.
Ken Clarke would be a great PM, although he's probably seen as too old now, sadly.

I had never actually met Lord Reform but I'm sure we must have attended the same gatherings of the elite, the landed and those who have amassed large collections of port and peasantry. I'm sure he was a splendid fellow and I am sad for his both his wife and his son the Duke of Ballotwrigging.

mancmackem said:
Halfpenny said:

Shadow Cabinet
Harriet Harman
Ed Balls
Douglas Alexander
Stephen Twigg
Andy Burnham

Government
George Osbourne
Kenneth Clarke
William Hague
Michael Gove
Theresa May
Nick Clegg
Liam Fox

I wasn't commenting on Ed's leadership credentials, jury's still out on that one for me. Just saying he's played a blinder on a policy he's not really that bothered about, in letting the coalition partners fight it out and ending up as the big winner with boundary changes falling by the wayside.

Halfpenny said:
I wasn't commenting on Ed's leadership credentials, jury's still out on that one for me. Just saying he's played a blinder on a policy he's not really that bothered about, in letting the coalition partners fight it out and ending up as the big winner with boundary changes falling by the wayside.

I know you wasn't mate, it was me questioning it myself.

sweynforkbeard said:
I had never actually met Lord Reform but I'm sure we must have attended the same gatherings of the elite, the landed and those who have amassed large collections of port and peasantry. I'm sure he was a splendid fellow and I am sad for his both his wife and his son the Duke of Ballotwrigging.
Sweyn, when you write like that you are matchless and to even suggest that I could even try to emulate you, as you did, was preposterous :-)

sweynforkbeard said:

Duke of ballotwrigging

Genius mate, genius

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.