Los Angeles / staying in Marina del Rey area?

ChicagoBlue said:
Barcon said:
Don't drive around in a car with rental plates on it, you will get shot and robbed.
Get a bus to Tijuana and take in a donkey show.

First sentence....how NOT to get shot and robbed.
Second sentence....how to GET fucked, shot and robbed.

Brilliant! :-)

Yeah but you get to see a donkey show.

Some bollocks on here pal and don't believe it. l.a is a great city. A general rule of thumb for tourists is stay north of the 10(santa monica freeway) and west of the 405. Silver Lake, Glendale, Pasadena as well as all the major tourists spot are a good time and are pretty safe for all. L.a also has some of the greatest trails and walks too. Use your head(and a car) and you'll enjoy it.

everythingchangesbutblue said:
Some bollocks on here pal and don't believe it. l.a is a great city. A general rule of thumb for tourists is stay north of the 10(santa monica freeway) and west of the 405. Silver Lake, Glendale, Pasadena as well as all the major tourists spot are a good time and are pretty safe for all. L.a also has some of the greatest trails and walks too. Use your head(and a car) and you'll enjoy it.

Yep, I hear people are clamoring to go to Glendale, Silver Lake and Pasadena for their hols!!

When you fly to America for a holiday, and you do Vegas, I'm not sure a tour of the LA suburbs is what you are looking for the rest of your weeks hols.....but then that's just me. Some people probably think Morecambe is the dogs bollocks, too.

I laid out a nice ("see California") road trip, because as someone who has travelled extensively across the US, I thought it was the best bang to try to see top cities, plus some state parks, PCH and Big Sur, the central CA coast, SoCal at its best, a little desert and a smaller nice city like SD. I'd fucking shot MYSELF if I had to stay in LA on my big American adventure!!

ChicagoBlue said:

Yep, I hear people are clamoring to go to Glendale, Silver Lake and Pasadena for their hols!!

When you fly to America for a holiday, and you do Vegas, I'm not sure a tour of the LA suburbs is what you are looking for the rest of your weeks hols.....but then that's just me. Some people probably think Morecambe is the dogs bollocks, too.

I laid out a nice ("see California") road trip, because as someone who has travelled extensively across the US, I thought it was the best bang to try to see top cities, plus some state parks, PCH and Big Sur, the central CA coast, SoCal at its best, a little desert and a smaller nice city like SD. I'd fucking shot MYSELF if I had to stay in LA on my big American adventure!!
Maybe he should just stay on the beach then or maybe he should get about and see the city without being shit scared of seeing a black man or hispanic.

ChicagoBlue said:

Maybe he should just stay on the beach then or maybe he should get about and see the city without being shit scared of seeing a black man or hispanic.

Mate, nothing in my post about black men or Hispanics. Just a caution against thinking LA was A London or SFO-type city with lots to do and going on. And, on that trip I mentioned it would be an impossibility to not run into hundreds of blacks and Hispanics!

I live just outside Chicago and would give someone the EXACT SAME warning about certain areas after dark. Just like I wouldn't send a tourist into the Mission in SFO after dark. No point, no reason, especially given all the other better places to be.

Sorry if it came across as if I was implying he was going to get shot by a Blood or Crip in LA. Wasn't my intention, especially for someone who comes from the murder capital of the US. Just think there are FAR better ways to experience all California has to offer than drive 4 hours through the desert from Vegas to LA and then hang out there. I've stayed mainly in Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo Beaches while in LA, which is why I recommended them. Been to Vegas dozens of times and don't generally give advice, because to each their own when it comes to Vegas! Love NorCal, as I think the coastline is beautiful, SFO/Marin County is the nicest place to live in the US, and there is LOTS to do there.

I've said my bit so I'll bow out. Wasn't trying to denigrate anyone, or anyone experiences, just trying to relate my own....especially the most positive ones mentioned.

ChicagoBlue said:
ChicagoBlue said:

Mate, nothing in my post about black men or Hispanics. Just a caution against thinking LA was A London or SFO-type city with lots to do and going on. And, on that trip I mentioned it would be an impossibility to not run into hundreds of blacks and Hispanics!

I live just outside Chicago and would give someone the EXACT SAME warning about certain areas after dark. Just like I wouldn't send a tourist into the Mission in SFO after dark. No point, no reason, especially given all the other better places to be.

Sorry if it came across as if I was implying he was going to get shot by a Blood or Crip in LA. Wasn't my intention, especially for someone who comes from the murder capital of the US. Just think there are FAR better ways to experience all California has to offer than drive 4 hours through the desert from Vegas to LA and then hang out there. I've stayed mainly in Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo Beaches while in LA, which is why I recommended them. Been to Vegas dozens of times and don't generally give advice, because to each their own when it comes to Vegas! Love NorCal, as I think the coastline is beautiful, SFO/Marin County is the nicest place to live in the US, and there is LOTS to do there.

I've said my bit so I'll bow out. Wasn't trying to denigrate anyone, or anyone experiences, just trying to relate my own....especially the most positive ones mentioned.
No worries mate, maybe i was a bit sharp. Just that i've been l.a loads of times and love the city. I was only pointing out places like Silver Lake because its a great place and he mentioned l.a rather than socal. Agree with you about all the other places in Cali. I'm planning to take a once in a lifetime(mid-life crisis) holiday from Seatte to San diego stopping in like you said Marin County/Sanfran, Monterey/Carmel etc, actually been considering whether to start in Vancouver.

MDR is alright, there are a few dodgy areas in L.A. like everywhere else in the world.
Drive up Lincoln and onto Santa Monica or Malibu for a day.
Might as well spend a day in Hollywood doing the tourist thing, Universal Studios or Disney if you have kids.
As for being paranoid about being safe?
Well I have always felt more relaxed here than in Manchester.
You might never get the chance to come here again, so take advantage of it and get out and about.

Ive been to LA several times and used to live there

My favourite part and a good place to relax is Laguna Beach, Newport Beach and Balboa, all south of the city in Orange County, great eating, beaches, Laguna is like an old style beach resort, you can take day trips from there to Hollywood, Venice Beach, M Del REy, San Juan Capistrano and Santa Monica (which is great on a Sunday with street performers etc)

Stay at Laguna mate, you'll love it.

No worries mate, maybe i was a bit sharp. Just that i've been l.a loads of times and love the city. I was only pointing out places like Silver Lake because its a great place and he mentioned l.a rather than socal. Agree with you about all the other places in Cali. I'm planning to take a once in a lifetime(mid-life crisis) holiday from Seatte to San diego stopping in like you said Marin County/Sanfran, Monterey/Carmel etc, actually been considering whether to start in Vancouver.

No worries. I was just trying to give a broad brush of CA, not decide which towns were nice to visit. Just like I wouldn't tell a Yank heading on holiday in England that if you REALLY want to visit Manc you should really go to Alderley Edge and sit outside a sidewalk cafe and have a latte and a scone, I don't think pointing out particular nice little towns near LA are an integral part of a CA vacation. That was all I was saying. I was trying to give him biggest bang for the buck, as a trip to Vegas and CA is a once in a lifetime thing for Brits.

And, go to Vancouver, definitely. You might never leave!!! Love it there. Almost British (or Chinese, depending on where you are!), but with stunning mountains, gorgeous harbour, new and modern, great place to walk, eat and drink! Ran into Peter Beardsley with his family last time I was there! Small world, eh?! And they are nearly always filming TV and movies in the downtown area. Sat at a cafe watching them for a few hours and I was amazed HOW LITTLE HAPPENS in two hours! No wonder they are so damned expensive!!

Be well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.