Lucas Paquetá

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep played Palmer mostly on the left wing, he barely got the chance to play on the right with Mahre, Bernardo and Foden being favoured, which you can’t really dispute. Shit happens, he didn’t get a proper chance to prove himself in his best position but we won the treble.
Our recollections evidently differ. I mostly recall Pep playing Palmer as a right winger & as a No 10. I remember switches to the left wing, but as with most in our front line, our players are quite fluid throughout matches.

If you ask, I'm sure some statto will produce Palmer's average heat map etc, & confirm it one way or the other, if anyone can be arsed.

Taking Phil as an academy example, he's played where Pep's told him to, & developed into the player we have today.

After being given numerous chances, Palmer's final season for us was underwhelming, which is near enough universally agreed.

He wanted to tread his own path & left, because he disagreed with Guardiola about his game time. He's now starring in mid-table PL football on vastly higher wages. It is what it is.

As for Paqueta, I see a fantastic player in a workmanlike team, where I feel he'd flourish more if surrounded by better players, in a more clearly defined role.
Also what I see. He's got some serious quality and flair in his game and isn't the starting #8 for Brazil by accident. Fairly surprised at the amount of people who don't rate him on here. Definitely not a stretch to say that Paqueta is WHU's version of Rodri - when he plays, they're a fairly good side above mid-table. When he doesn't play, they suffer.

I think Pep would be able to unlock Paqueta by giving him a more defined role in a Rodri/Foden midfield or a Rodri/KDB midfield. He was clearly supposed to be Gundogan's replacement for this season until the deal fell through at literally the last minute.

Regardless of if any of us rate him, Pep clearly wants the guy and that's enough for me.

Also what I see. He's got some serious quality and flair in his game and isn't the starting #8 for Brazil by accident. Fairly surprised at the amount of people who don't rate him on here. Definitely not a stretch to say that Paqueta is WHU's version of Rodri - when he plays, they're a fairly good side above mid-table. When he doesn't play, they suffer.

I think Pep would be able to unlock Paqueta by giving him a more defined role in a Rodri/Foden midfield or a Rodri/KDB midfield. He was clearly supposed to be Gundogan's replacement for this season until the deal fell through at literally the last minute.

Regardless of if any of us rate him, Pep clearly wants the guy and that's enough for me.
Agreed 100%. There's a huge difference in being coached by Guardiola & Moyes. If we manage to get Lucas, I'm pretty sure he'll play as a No 8 with more emphasis on creating & attacking.

WHU were playing a PL match a couple of weeks ago where they were under serious second half pressure. Paqueta had more defending than attacking to do, & Hammers counters were few & far between, but yet he was being slaughtered by some on here as being useless & not worthy of City.

The mind boggles!

Due diligence only goes so far. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Most of us were cool on Rodri during his first two seasons & would've snapped someone's hand off if offered our £63m back, because he was no Fernandinho.

However, Rodri became Rodri, & Philips was supposed to be our new Fernandinho. It's hasn't worked out, & we desperately need cover & competition for our most important player.

Perhaps Guimarães is that player or Neves? For me, Paqueta's a replacement for Gundog.
I think Pep wants Paquetá and Bruno. Tkixi wants Neves.

Think we sign Neves and Paquetá and replace Bernado with more of a winger.

Compromise and strengthen. Especially if Bernado going helps sign Neves.

I think Pep wants Paquetá and Bruno. Tkixi wants Neves.

Think we sign Neves and Paquetá and replace Bernado with more of a winger.

Compromise and strengthen. Especially if Bernado going helps sign Neves.
I am siding with Txiki on this one. Pep obviously wants more in terms of here and now, but we have to think long-term. Neves could be (potentially) with us for 15+ years. We have to be careful when it comes to buying players in the mid to late 20s range because we have a lot of those (attacking mids/strikers aside) at the moment, so we might need a revolution in about 5 years if we keep up this trend. Paqueta and Neves would be a perfect mixture, IMO.

I am siding with Txiki on this one. Pep obviously wants more in terms of here and now, but we have to think long-term. Neves could be (potentially) with us for 15+ years. We have to be careful when it comes to buying players in the mid to late 20s range because we have a lot of those (attacking mids/strikers aside) at the moment, so we might need a revolution in about 5 years if we keep up this trend. Paqueta and Neves would be a perfect mixture, IMO.
I agree. One thing Tolmie said on Twitter is Pep is thinking of extending and giving him players he wants might secure it.

I’m hoping for Neves and Paquetá. I’ve always said I’d love Kimmich here but can’t see us signing 1 of Bruno/Neves and him. I feel like they are the 3 ‘targets’ we hear about us gathering info on before going for them.

I agree. One thing Tolmie said on Twitter is Pep is thinking of extending and giving him players he wants might secure it.

I’m hoping for Neves and Paquetá. I’ve always said I’d love Kimmich here but can’t see us signing 1 of Bruno/Neves and him. I feel like they are the 3 ‘targets’ we hear about us gathering info on before going for them.

Transfers will have to be even quicker this summer as well though? Depending on who we go for obviously but with the euros on and then the summer tour to the states it would be nice to complete everything nice and early hence why maybe we are chasing release clause players as well?

If the rumours of Txiki leaving at the same time Pep does i can see he leaving a 'legacy' spine of younger players down the middle. Gvardiol, Neves, Foden, Haaland etc rather than more slightly older players. Paq & Neves makes more sense, but cant really complain with Bruno tbf.

Pep wanted him to stay & improve but Palmer had faith in his own ability & wanted to go out on loan to prove himself.
My understanding is the club wanted him to stay and go on loan but he’d lost patience and told Pep either play me or sell me

The work rate and all round game Bernardo has isn't that you'd expect from an out and out winger. He's special. Id be worried about replacing him with just a 'wide player'
Foden is very similar to bernardo, and will replace him, wirtz is also similar to both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.