Lyon CL QF Post-Match Thread

Got my thirteen year old upstairs in tears and my 19 year old out on the piss with his angry head on. Sometimes I wish we were like my 15 year old who doesn’t give a shit.

Stand tall fellow blues. Take the shit , don’t start blaming, we’re all in this together. We all want to win but when it doesn’t go our way we group up and stay stronger as one

If somehow we had gone on to win this it would be forever tainted with a little sadness and regret that not a single one of us was there to see it

Fuck it... we will have our day one day .. and 40,000 blues will be there having the party of their lives

If its the other way around and Laporte clips him (ahem I mean barely touched him) a foul is called and he would get a yellow.
Codshite. I was desperately hoping for var to intervene on that as it looked an iffy goal and Walton was getting me giddy. But upon seeing the replay, it was nothing. Certainly not enough to disallow a goal

Fernandinho, gundo and rodri are not bad players individually but as a combination they are. No pace, no guile, no creativity, not great off the ball movement etc.
No wonder the defence was struggling in playing it out from the back, they had no targets to hit
As much as we love Pep he dropped one tonight.
That game and Lyons tactics were crying out for David to start as well as Mahrez.
I honestly think Ferdy is now past it. He has been a legend but is just too pedestrian. He should be a sub at best. It was the wrong team and formation and most of us called it before the game. Pep is a genius but tonight's result was mostly self-inflicted apart from the routine bent VAR decision. I agree that Pep has to take most of the blame for this one.

Ok let's say we go out there with our most attacking creative players and formation and then get dicked 3 times on the break.

He was trying to avoid that. It's a one off game with no second leg to bail us out.

There has to be a balance. Yes we were boring as fuck and not the team we are used to seeing but the option above could've backfired drastically.

The players not doing their jobs is what's eliminated us.
The thing is, whilst I take your point as extremely valid, it's much easier to aceept a team trying to play to it's obvious strenghths and living or dying by the sword than see them retreat into a flimsy 'shell' and hope for the best.

Walker letting him onside for first goal then he did not track the runner Cornet. I think that is criminal double mistake.

Same mistake vs Arsenal for Aubamayeng first goal from City defence, of course there maybe it was Mendy being wrong position while Garcia is a slow motion when he has to sprint vs Aubamayeng who is quick.

Getting punished by same mistakes all over again in two games with so high stakes.

All on Pep. Every single inch of it.

Yes, you can talk about the foul, the miss, the goalkeeping howler, but they may have been completely irrelevant had Pep played his best players and best system from the start.

Immediately, you’ve put yourself on the back foot. An absolute stinking start denies the team rhythm and causes the panic and insecurity that was at the root of every problem that cost us tonight.

Lyon are good and it would be arrogant to suggest that just by playing our favoured system we immediately would have run away with the game, but our chances would have been drastically better. A strong start breeds confidence and control, which is what we lacked throughout the entire game.

To be fair to Pep, the last 15 minuteS proved why he wanted a back three. Lyon seemed to score and do nothing, and then exactly when they wanted, they looked dangerous at will and cut through is with relative ease.

Still, coach your players to play in your system and don’t bend to the will of the 7th best team in fucking France.

Embarrassing way to send off our best ever player.

Wtf does this even mean? Major refereeing errors matter. Things don’t happen in isolation. This is 3 years in a row that a ref/VAR totally fucked it

who fucking cares how much he touched him? It’s a trip. It doesn’t take much to trip someone who’s running. Tell me you believe if that was Jesus on Denayer that would have stood?
You don't watch much football do you?

FFS. Really scary some of the posts on here
Whats scary about it?
At least 5 players need to go and a major rebuild is required.
Rebuilds take 2 seasons, maybe only 1 if Pep is the coach, but even so, we won't see the the full benefit of the rebuild till season 21/22 so if he isn't going to commit then should he remain the coach?
I'd love him to stay but he has to commit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.