Lyon CL QF Post-Match Thread

I think sometimes fans believe the shite that SKY peddle about the Premier League being the best & strongest league in the world, just because of the money.
Results this year have shown that not to be the case & maybe we ought to remember that when playing the better sides late in European competitions
So you're saying the PL is not the best and strongest league?

Rodri is a new addition, I think that sort of chemistry takes a little time in general but understand that Fernandinho presents a different advantage in that role - of course the central defense concerns meant Pep preferred/trusted Fernandinho there. I think the bigger deficiency on the night was probably Gundogan, perhaps Foden might have fared better but Pep clearly didn't feel this way. I'm probably most surprised that he did not use Bernardo but again perhaps there was something in trainings that led Pep to make the selections he did none of us are privy to

I would probably concur with what critics have said that it is unusual for Pep to not impose his game on the opponent rather than adjusting to thwart strengths/weaknesses. Of course, he also lacked Kun and scoring has been an issue for City. Of course, in the end, City still could've leveled if not won the match but for poor finishing
We will never find a like for like replacement of Fernandinho. An outstanding and in my opinion, one of the most underestimated players in the world.
An outstanding player who's workrate and ability to read a game of football was magnificent.
Rodri is a class act, a great signing, but he needs energy around him, you simply can't play Gundogan and him in the same side.

well said Harry. Long may King Peps Reign continue. I love his type of football we are so so lucky to have this man at the helm.
I couldn't agree more. Pep's won two Champions Leagues in twelve years. Bayern, although winning it five times in total, have won it twice in the last forty-four years. Next year I predict that the defence issue will not be an issue..

We will never find a like for like replacement of Fernandinho. An outstanding and in my opinion, one of the most underestimated players in the world.
An outstanding player who's workrate and ability to read a game of football was magnificent.
Rodri is a class act, a great signing, but he needs energy around him, you simply can't play Gundogan and him in the same side.
Rodri's passing stats are monumental - 100 per cent in some games - games where he's made up to 200 passes. For me, he's had a good first year.

It’s not the best result but FFS that’s the quarter finals of the champions league in a one off game.

Many have said you need to be the best team AND be lucky, we were not lucky in any way starting with no Kun and all the way the sterling getting a tiny bobble before he hit that ball, and the offensive VAR decision.

We have had worse games, worse results, a lot worse seasons.

Get a grip folks, finished second in the premier league, won a cup and a shield, quarterfinal in the champions league, semi final in the FA cup.

I’m as disappointed as the next city fan, but let’s not turn into that bunch from across town and moan when we don’t win everything - let’s be grateful for where we are, what we have, the players we have, players we may get, and look forward to next season positively.

But most of all - let’s remain humble and remember where we came from and the dark days - and be thankful for the ability to moan about being knocked out of the champions league in the quarterfinals ffs.
Great post.

They started both games against Real, Liverpool at home and Manure away in the cup: probably our best 4 games all season.

The problem wasn't the Rodri and Gundy pairing per se but playing them with 3 CBs against Lyon. That killed our natural game.

A combo of Rodri/Gundy and Silva was worse than a combo of Gundy and Rodri but people have a natural soft spot for Silva and tend to blame other players when we lose with Silva in the team.
They started both games against Real, Liverpool at home and Manure away in the cup: probably our best 4 games all season.

The problem wasn't the Rodri and Gundy pairing per se but playing them with 3 CBs against Lyon. That killed our natural game.

A combo of Rodri/Gundy and Silva was worse than a combo of Gundy and Rodri but people have a natural soft spot for Silva and tend to blame other players when we lose with Silva in the team.
Gundogan has been a problem for city for years. Every CL exit in the last 3 seasons is down to him. In the first away game against spurs Pep decided to “play safe” and play Gundogan alongside fern in the midfield. He Slowed the game down to a crawl and we lost 1-0. Next year first leg Liverpool, he does the same thing fern with Gundogan in the centre, we’re hammered 3-0. If that wasn’t bad enough he decided to add Rodri to the mix. Fa cup arsenal was al down to Gundogan, slow and painful to watch. I think 6 of our first 8 defeats in the pl came when Gundogan was paired with Rodri. I’m afraid gundogun has to go, simply isn’t good enough for city.

Haha Haha. ....Like many of us I've kept a low profile since Saturday....Ive just found out rags lost .
Fuck me I've cheered up , couldn't understand why bastards stopped texting, hahaha

To not have started with at least one of Mahrez, David, Bernardo or Foden was criminal
IMHO 2 should have started the game, probably Mahrez and David.
All that attacking flair, guile and in Foden and Bernardo workrate too left more or less unused does raise serious questions.
All 4 of them must have been seriously pissed off
I hope that this does not lead to more problems with player unrest as Mahrez, Bernardo and Phil must be thinking WTF.
This season is a failure when you look at the calibre of the manager and players we have available we have fallen well short
Agree with most of what you say, but for me Mahrez isn't good enough. He is a one trick pony at best, can trap a long pass and cut inside, nothing else. Cannot unlock a defence on his own and Disappears in big games. And is very selfish - not pep like or good for city

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.