Lyon CL QF | Pre-Match Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really noticed against Real Madrid how much we had on them physically. We're nothing particularly special on that front domestically but maybe it's something we take for granted in Europe. Maybe it's why players like Gundogan tend to be far more influential in European games?

It might be a big advantage moving forwards. It's possible that's what Liverpool and Tottenham (and Chelsea and Arsenal in the EL) had as an advantage last season. Not having other English clubs to play could suit us if we're at our highest levels mentally.

Bernardo just said in an interview that Lyon and French teams in general are very physical. I think that was one of the reasons we found it difficult to play them, especially when we field Gundy and both Silvas. Lyon covered more distance vs Juventus than City against Real.

Then you have Bayern who are more of a physically powerful team than City.

Our main advantage is our style. Only Barca can match our ability to move the ball quickly but not our energy. Here your observation is spot on, imo.

Watch them parachute Lahoz in at the last minute citing Lyon's protests and not giving us any chance to launch any protest ... and also wash their hands when their guy blatantly sides with Lyon then saying they (UEFA) didn't appoint him in the first place ...

So just so I've got this clear.

The conspiracy is that instead of just appointing Lahoz, which they have every right to do, they've appointed a Dutch referee who isn't fit to referee the game to make Lyon appeal and then they will then be replaced by Lahoz?

...right.

So just so I've got this clear.

The conspiracy is that instead of just appointing Lahoz, which they have every right to do, they've appointed a Dutch referee who isn't fit to referee the game to make Lyon appeal and then they will then be replaced by Lahoz?

...right.

Yup ... had they appointed Lahoz directly, it's too obvious ... watch them replace him last minute!

We look physically fit, mentally strong and tactically sharp.

Lyon are a very fit,hard grafting team who had to play flat out to LOSE at Juve whereas we were at around 80%/85% to BEAT FC Franco.

Both teams have had the same amount of recovery time.

If we play our ‘A’ game and, more importantly, take our chances we have a v v good chance of winning.

I feel that they will have to score 4 to beat us.

It’s our time City.

Feels like it’s going to be one of those ‘opponents soak up pressure and counter’ type games where the team struggle to break the opponents down.

If the lads play with quick passing and movement it’ll be fine. Therefore, I’d play Bernardo in this. Being home may also give him extra motivation and his energy will be crucial in stalling their counter attacks.

Same front 3 as in the Madrid game but with Foden on the left. Can rotate with Gabby. Sterling on the right please. Not sure on Mendy/Cancelo for LB. Possibly Fernandinho to partner Laporte. It’ll be up to Walker to keep Depay quiet; a player whose been quite good since the restart.

Come on City!
I think Lyon as best they can will play us straight up. Now if they score early, of course they'll defend. But I don't think they'll come out with a defensive plan.

Yup ... had they appointed Lahoz directly, it's too obvious ... watch them replace him last minute!

Or the Dutch bloke stays as ref with a word in his ear that everybody thinks he will be helping City out and to make sure that he isn’t seem to be doing that ...

Reactions: MAG
I think Lyon as best they can will play us straight up. Now if they score early, of course they'll defend. But I don't think they'll come out with a defensive plan.

I really do hope you’re right. Due to the reasons we know, that’s the blueprint to beat this current City team. However, if the lads move it quickly and press well they’ll be too much to handle for Lyon. If they come at City straight up like you said then it’ll make for an interesting spectacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.