Madness

PaulPowerShower said:
You play him then if he gets injured / knackerd then you deal with the problem

Whats the pint in bombing out of a cup, not even knowing - he might have scored 2 last night and 2 n Sat

ALSo

Why play Guidetti in Midfield?

Why play Jo as a winger?

Why play RSC on his own up front when we all know he isnt match fit

Why not make any subs when we are under the kosh?

Why pick 2 very very very inexpernced full bakc

You have to start off with the fact that he wanted to rest the players who will be playing against Chelsea. Much like Ancelotti wanted to rest his players who would be playing against us.

After that, you look who was available. And after the injuries, what we had left basically started.

Nobody wanted to lose. The circumstances weren't ideal. But shit happens. Chelsea too are out of the competition, despite playing at home with a far stronger set of players than we put out. They also lost key personnel in Kalou and Benayoun in the process.

Mancini is targetted to achieve Top 4 first and foremost. That's what the owner wants. That's what moves the club up a level. Trophies would certainly follow. Mancini cannot be blamed for prioritising accordingly in order to try and meet the objective that the owner and his team have set for him.

not happy with the selection or the inevitable result. this cup should be just as important to the club and fans as all the other silverware. it is a massive psychological handicap we have at the moment with not winning a trophy for 34 years. you can feel it almost taste it in the crowds, the need to get this statistic rid of.

this was a big moment in my belief in Mancini, and he has now dropped down a notch.

saying that 'we can now concentrate on the other more important tournaments' is a laughable opinion, dont you think that now chelsea, liverpool, spuds, everton can concentrate also on these other cups? yet again we missed the bus while looking for loose change in our pockets!!!!

we may well win something this year and if we do i will be the first to call it a master stroke, but through arrogance it wont be the CC!!! the 'easiest' of the lot.

As a European qualifier, we had a bye into round 3, last night was emmimnently winnable, with probably just a slightly more positive line up (they also made 10 changes), Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Everton all out, we could have been one game from facing potentially (last seasons Arsenal quarter final). The only teams we would have needed to be alert too, and i mean respectful, not scared of, would have been Arsenal and United, and they both (legitimately as they have champs league), would have played under strength teams depending on where the fixture fell in relation to champs league.

In other words 3 very winnable ties from Wembley, Winning the Europa League ( hopefully) will take god knows how many games.

The Carling Cup, particularly this year was oh so very winnable, and even winning this tin-pot trophy (says who? certainly not us last year!) would have shut the Rags up, and undeniably moved the "project" forward.

Without writing any title challenge off, i believe our realistic target was, (and still is) top 4 or higher, AND a Cup. We can still do that, and i honestly am confident of top 4, but that first cup could have been so close, and i feel we have just chucked it all away, as if it doesnt really matter, and it does!!

Which would be better: 1) to end the 34 years without a cup by winning the Carling Cup and finishing 5th; or 2) to win nothing this year but finish 3rd or 4th?

We're still some way off being the type of squad that can challenge for 3 cups and a CL spot in one season. The squad hasnt been together long enough. It was worth having a decent crack at the Carling Cup last year when we weren't in europe. This year, with our current injury list, it isnt.

cibaman said:
Which would be better: 1) to end the 34 years without a cup by winning the Carling Cup and finishing 5th; or 2) to win nothing this year but finish 3rd or 4th?

We're still some way off being the type of squad that can challenge for 3 cups and a CL spot in one season. The squad hasnt been together long enough. It was worth having a decent crack at the Carling Cup last year when we weren't in europe. This year, with our current injury list, it isnt.

I disagree, 4th or above is paramount, winning a cup is a bonus, the Carling Cup, particularly due to second round bye, and big casualties this round, would have been infinitely easier to win, than the Europa League, or indeed FA Cup. Who`s to say Europa League will not hamper our league ambitions later in the season, will that be jettisoned as well?, or an inconvenient FA Cup 6th round tie?.

Irrespective of our injuries we should have been capable of getting through yesterday,I also think people lose sight of the boost that actually winning something would give us with regards to our long term aims

We havent won a trophy for aaages, we need one. This was the perfect chance, we blew it. Seems arrogant to me, we are not as good as we think we are

Richards, Bridge, M.Johnson, Wright-Phillips, Adebayor, Kolarov, Boateng, Lescott and Balotelli were all injured for last night's game. Anyone who complains about the team Mancini fielded last night needs to give their head a fucking wobble. If Tevez had got injured last night or maybe Kompany, Yaya Toure, De Jong or Barry (who may well have to play as emergency left back on Saturday anyway due to injures) we would get absolutely hammered at the weekend and then you would be slagging Mancini off for being stupid and risking injury in a game against WBA in the League Cup.

Balti said:
Mancini is targetted to achieve Top 4 first and foremost. That's what the owner wants. That's what moves the club up a level. Trophies would certainly follow. Mancini cannot be blamed for prioritising accordingly in order to try and meet the objective that the owner and his team have set for him.

I dont get that, 38 games in a league season, 17 to win Europa, hard to say how many to win FA cup, we are desperate for a trophy and we lose in a cup when its 6 games to win it. If we win nothing this season and manage 4th in the league how many games in chumps league next season, are we then going to try and win that and the league. Once we win a trophy, any trophy the pressure is released on that front, we have just lost our chance of winning anything this season, another season will go by, for what, to try and qualify for something we wont win, but hey, the clubs profile is lifted. This club needs a trophy, RM should have been told that in 3 seasons if we have not won a trophy and in chumps league its goodbye, trying to do the 4th at all cost is arse about face

Disagree again,

Not saying we cant win the title this year, but i certainly dont expect us to, i know Saturday is their first real test but IMO Chelsea are big title favourites. If as i half expect Chelsea run away with league, our top 4 ambitions will not be determined by how we perform against Chelsea (anything would be a bonus, last year unbelievable) our fate will be decided by how we perform against our more realistic rivals Spurs, Liverpool, poss Everton, Villa etc, and how our results compare to theirs. Last seasons 8 draws in 9 for example and dropped points to relegation threatened sides.

Losing to Chelsea will not destroy our top 4 ambitions for the season, but defeat last night (make that surrender without a fight) did destroy our most realistic chance of actually winning something this season

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.