Maine Road FC

I’m pretty sure it’s anyone mate. The OSC sponsorship just helps to cover running costs.

ps My brother was calling for Maine Road to stick 50p in the metre to turn the floodlights up and I explained it was wasn’t their usual home ground!

They are in the 7th tier I think and even at that level there is a fair bit of money involved. Mostly win bonuses but the best players in every team are usually offered something - expenses for training etc so it becomes a steady income. Bonkers when you think there are practically no fans at that level.

With no City on this weekend I went to watch Maine Road FC in Chorlton yesterday.

5 quid in, bring a few cans, proper jumpers for goalposts stuff.

The football was hilariously shite, 0-0 and just a load of blokes jogging round kicking lumps out of each other while a ball gets occasionally hoofed in the air, but it was a proper laugh.

Anyone else go and watch them? I know they were founded in the 50s by a group of City fans but beyond that I’m not familiar with their story.

Do they get funding from CITC or anything?

Last edited:
With no City on this weekend I went to watch Maine Road FC in Chorlton yesterday.

The football was hilariously shite, 0-0 and just a load of blokes jogging round kicking lumps out of each other while a ball gets occasionally hoofed in the air, but it was a proper laugh. Jumpers for goalposts stuff.

Anyone else go and watch them? I know they were founded in the 50s by a group of City fans but beyond that I’m not familiar with their story.

No. No current connection or financial link with the club itself but City's Official supporters club sponsor (or did sponsor for a few seasons) the club.

The football was hilariously shite, 0-0 and just a load of blokes jogging round kicking lumps out of each other while a ball gets occasionally hoofed in the air, but it was a proper laugh.

No the club don't, supporters group did a while ago.

Seen them a few times when they've played cheadle based teams or stockport sports/stockport town.

If this level is "hilarious" go and watch sunday league. Maine Rd and their equivalents exist in spite of the difficulties they face, the brown envelope culture has always been around. The pool of talent has been drained by councils pricing amateur football clubs out of existence, witness Hough End turning into dead end, it has long been targetted by M/c council/developers. Maine Road fc has/had players who were fringe professional level, ex-pros via k-form rules, with various fitness levels, and a few lads who were good enough from the Sunday leagues, which have largely disappeared They are on the red list of "endangered species", like their peers. Amateur referees, county cricket and rugby league are on the same path.

If this level is "hilarious" go and watch sunday league. Maine Rd and their equivalents exist in spite of the difficulties they face, the brown envelope culture has always been around. The pool of talent has been drained by councils pricing amateur football clubs out of existence, witness Hough End turning into dead end, it has long been targetted by M/c council/developers. Maine Road fc has/had players who were fringe professional level, ex-pros via k-form rules, with various fitness levels, and a few lads who were good enough from the Sunday leagues, which have largely disappeared They are on the red list of "endangered species", like their peers. Amateur referees, county cricket and rugby league are on the same path.
Incredibly sad but true post. I went to watch Prestwich Heys v Macclesfield a couple of weeks ago (Heys won 1-0!) and whilst the standard wasn’t the best the day itself was absolutely brilliant. Guinness at the bar and £2 for a pie. £7 to get in for a thoroughly brilliant afternoon’s entertainment. Recommend it to anybody.

Bump.Noticed this earlier.Not watched it all yet though.

Happy memories.Well except the stench of pi$$ coming from
the toilets at the back of the kippax.
Or all the alley's around the ground :-(

Bump.Noticed this earlier.Not watched it all yet though.

Happy memories.Well except the stench of pi$$ coming from
the toilets at the back of the kippax.
Or all the alley's around the ground :-(

Or dodging and sometimes failing to circumnavigate the copious amounts of dog shit in the alley's all around the ground...
:-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.