Maine Road or Etihad Stadium.

Maine rd,if it was rebuilt,and we got rid of the curse.
we are so lucky to have had the old kippax,that place was awesome sitting on that long bannister as a kid or climbing up at the back hanging on for dear life,thinking you were going to die being so squashed getting out after the match,wow them bogs stunk.COLIN BELLS comeback game,we never cared about trophys just being there was my buzz,

was at maine road yesterday, my what a sorry state that area has now become. run down and absolutely desolate. almost unrecognisable. would take eastlands any day of the week now.

Nostalgia will always make Maine Road number one for me. As a kid I grew up in and around the area, and to me it will always typify Manchester at that time. I remember being taken to my first game in 1979, and taking my Daughter to her first game in 1995. I remember in the 80s it wasn't uncommon to see Asa or Neil McNab having a jog around the area near Platt Lane, or indeed have players pop in school for the odd PE lesson. Being able to watch training session or meeting players at Platt Lane felt like a right rather than a privileged.

Then there special memories like standing on the old kippax (never did like the new one), the 10 - 1 and later the North stand. As a kid I can't remember how many time I ran up and down Claremont Road either being chased by or chasing opposing team fans thinking I was 10 men; Funny when you come to think about it now. Later in life there was the Osbourne and the Claremont for pre and post match refreshments, and all the delight of the curry miles for a bite before a bus into town.

Its hard to deny that city haven't made significant progress since leaving Maine Road, and there no argument that it was a bit of a tip. But I think that it is always good to remember where we have come from, and is why it is still good to hear us sing 'We Are City From Maine Road'.

Chillidog77 said:
Skashion said:
Grounds gather character as they gather collective memories. It takes time to create those memories but the ball is rolling now and is gathering pace. It's celebrated its first trophy, some decent derby wins etc. It is feeling more like home now.

However, that said, Maine Road has something the Etihad stadium never will with it being where it was, in the heart of terraced housing, dark alleys and proper pubs with Moss Side extortionists youth wing in training - far preferable to the yellow-jacketed kind. It was organic. Maine Road is a symbol of the traditional and in many many ways better days of football. Etihad is a symbol of the new football which is far less palatable.

Couldn`t have put it any better myself.
Second that.

Having said what I did - that Maine Road represents the very best of traditional football, the Etihad with its attached campus is also going to be the very best kind of new football, with a fantastic academy and brilliant community facilities (to go along with our award-winning CITC with characters like Alex Williams and now Paul Lake involved in that). I'm proud of our club; past and future.

I'm 24 and whilst some of the best times of my childhood were spent at Maine Road with my Dad, sat in the Kippax with complete cranks, I would take the Etihad Stadium anyday. It is bigger, it is now home to some of the best players in the world.

It's starting to feel more and more like home.

Had I had been born say 10 years earlier, I don't think I would be saying this. A generation thing I would think ;)

Just think of the memories that are going to be created at Eastlands that would never have been possible at Maine Road.

Starting 14th September.

The thing i love about Eastlands is how close it is to the City Centre.

Eithad.

Maine Road selection is close to most City fans hearts but lets be honest it wasn't a world class venue was it?

We have world class facilities/pitch/staff/seating at Etihad and there is plans for even more renovations to it.

On a European night with the lights turned on it's a beautiful sight looking at the Etihad, a true footballing arena.

flipmode said:
I'm 24 and whilst some of the best times of my childhood were spent at Maine Road with my Dad, sat in the Kippax with complete cranks, I would take the Etihad Stadium anyday. It is bigger, it is now home to some of the best players in the world.

It's starting to feel more and more like home.

Had I had been born say 10 years earlier, I don't think I would be saying this. A generation thing I would think ;)
Im also 24 and feel the same, my dad couldn't be arsed with me so went to footy with older bro and personally prefered north stand to kippax at Maine Road but thats probably because we are both too young to have experienced Kippax as a terrace.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.