Maine Road today

Dyed Petya said:
Am I the only one who couldn't wait to leave Maine Road and was delighted when we finally went? It holds wonderful memories for me, and I loved the place when I was a kid: it was a wonderfully atmospheric ground, but also a pretty impressive stadium even relative to other top grounds of the time.

The shambolic redevelopment of the ground in the 1980s and 1990s completely wrecked it for me, and it lost so much of what had made it a special place. It looked awful, and while the atmosphere could be great even in the last few years, people really look back on that with rose tinted glasses. It was good when we were winning but terrible when we weren't - which was quite a lot of the time in the years coming up to our departure.

The way it was allowed to transform from one of the best grounds in the land to what it became was simply disgraceful. But that simply mirrored the way the club was run as a whole. Giving up on it and starting again was definitely the right thing to do, in my view.

I just posted a pic in another thread of Maine Road from 1923, capacity 88,000! how it went from that to 35,000 with the awful Platt Lane Stand as it was when we left! The shit Kippax Stand compared to the old one! Maine Road wasnt Maine Road from 1994 onwards!

BufordUSABlue said:
Brings a tear to my eye this Balti!

Make you wonder what the present owners might have done with the old ground??

Probably would have sold it and built a new one anyway, as they have no sentiment like us fans, but would have been interesting if they would have bought us back when Maine Road was our home, what would they would have done...

I highly doubt they would have bought us if we were still playing there.

Dyed Petya said:
Am I the only one who couldn't wait to leave Maine Road and was delighted when we finally went? It holds wonderful memories for me, and I loved the place when I was a kid: it was a wonderfully atmospheric ground, but also a pretty impressive stadium even relative to other top grounds of the time.

The shambolic redevelopment of the ground in the 1980s and 1990s completely wrecked it for me, and it lost so much of what had made it a special place. It looked awful, and while the atmosphere could be great even in the last few years, people really look back on that with rose tinted glasses. It was good when we were winning but terrible when we weren't - which was quite a lot of the time in the years coming up to our departure.

The way it was allowed to transform from one of the best grounds in the land to what it became was simply disgraceful. But that simply mirrored the way the club was run as a whole. Giving up on it and starting again was definitely the right thing to do, in my view.

No, i feel excatly the same. If we were still there now we probably would still be flirting between the premier league and championship and we most certainly wouldn't have the sheik as our owner.

I spoke to this Asian bloke today that lives on Kippax st - He has only been in the UK for about 6 months.....I started ranting at him at the Kippax st etc.....

He just looked at me blankly and just nodded....

I sighed.....looking off into the middle distance......and we carried on the interview.....

I agree. In the final years Maine Road was a joke.

A right mish-mash. The architect who designed the "new" Kippax should have been shot.

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
I agree. In the final years Maine Road was a joke.

A right mish-mash. The architect who designed the "new" Kippax should have been shot.
thats my design tec teacher

Go past ir everyday, think the parkside is apartments now, hate seeing the corner shop jst off Maine road. Soooo nostalgic!

"Mind yer car mister"............... ahhhh those were the days. I only ever refused once, i always gave em a quid after that (once i had bought new windscreen wipers and ariel).

MCFCinUSA said:
and who could forget the City Chippy?

I swear I've never had better!

Pudding, chips, peas and gravy and a coke............................

(diet of course)

black mamba said:
A real shame we couldn't have adapted Maine Road to suit ......

for me it'll always be our home .....

i was raised in the sixties close to COMS .... the area , then known as Bradford , had real 'soul' back then ...... full of terraced streets and back alleys ....... it seems so devoid of it now.

reason why i love villa park.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.