Maine Road

Wasn't the Platt Lane car park area also used for training until the 1960's and maybe later?

The attendance has just been announced 20,374. Peter Swales thanks you for your loyal support.

Must be 70 minutes on the clock with the amount of people streaming out of the exits!

Just checked the Manchester Corporation Trams* website too - replacement horse and cart that day due to "essential works"!

*of course, I am talking nonsense there because Manchester Corporation Trams had been renamed Manchester Corporation Transport in 1929 - but it helps my point! :)

1934 in that area there wouldn't be many car owning families around. The cars on the car park would probably belong to the players and the bosses and the people coming over from Sheffield.

I know. It's amazing how much life in general has changed in such a relitivley short period of time

C_71_article_1418817_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

Possibly the Stoke FA Cup game ...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...all-news/fa-cup-special-thrills-spills-859131

I know. It's amazing how much life in general has changed in such a relitivley short period of time

Exactly, my ex-husband worked for Robert Wynn's Heavy Haulage, whose depot was just off Maine Road, and I remember him saying in the 70s that it was getting dangerous driving their wagons down there because there were more cars. He'd been there since the 50s! How life has changed.

Good shout - it's a game vs Sheffield Wednesday, March 1934 according to this article.

EDIT - the stats say we only played Sheff Utd in March 1934! That's the daily Fail for you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wed-grounds-day-buildings-long-fans-left.html
From that article, the last part of this sentence baffled me!

Meanwhile, the land on which Maine Road once stood is home to a housing development, which boasts a public art display commemorating the old stadium, a spot on the site of the old centre circle named Gibson's Green in honour of groundsman Stan Gibson, and one road named Kippax Street in memory of the towering former stand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.