Man Arrested for trying to sell Pep’s hacked emails

This is shoddy 'reporting' from the author. Can they give examples of Ms Kloss' cybersecurity weakness? 'She repeatedly flouts internal security rules and standards' is a hell of a statement. What are these rules and standards that she's flouting? When did she flout them and most importantly, how does the reporter know this?

It's not backed up by facts or evidence, so IMO it's all a load of rubbish.

Anyone could make these accusations about anyone, e.g. Steve Mcgraph is the head of security, but he's also the best opportunity to hack Manchester City, he repeatedly flouts internal security rules and standards. A rogue operator could hack into City via targeting him. And he used to work for the police!!

....slap that on an edgy website and you've got a new scapegoat.

See where I'm going?
Apparently the guy that wrote the article was asked to work for City, which he initially did some work but then said it was too leaky. I don't think he's looking for a scapegoat he's just reporting things as he found them. Why would he be looking to scapegoat anyone?

In my most recent career I reckon I have worked with about 25 heads of IT, or of the departments in which I was stationed, and would say 24 of them didn't know enough about data security.
Yes it's just basic stuff which catches people out. But I can't understand why people can't seem to understand that any content on an email is never 100 per cent secure so don't use emails for anything sensitive. We don't seem to have moved on from Garry Cook making a tasteless joke about cancer and copying in half the world after he pressed send. Perhaps City have expanded so quickly that we just don't have the right systems in place. This happens quite a lot in the business world.

The biggest IT security risk (email wise) is senior bosses wanting to be able to read their employees emails. This tends to leave email data at rest unencrypted as they aren't prepared to pay for an electronic key store solution.

Don't know about you, but in my place, email is end-to-end encrypted, so the boss would need either the employee's password, or an IT guy who was willing to change password's at the boss' say so?

I work as a contractor via a PSC but did this guy definitely work in the same way or as a consultant via a consultancy? It would seem weird for the article to mention the ending of "its relationship with the IT firm" and not specify he WAS the IT firm. Maybe it's just the way I read it.

Ahh it sounds like that’s the case then, he may have worked for a consultancy, rather than a recruitment agency, I misread.

Apparently the guy that wrote the article was asked to work for City, which he initially did some work but then said it was too leaky. I don't think he's looking for a scapegoat he's just reporting things as he found them. Why would he be looking to scapegoat anyone?

No he isn’t. He’s a blogger based in London that exposes corruption in football.

A while ago now, before the leak, he offered to provide the club with evidence he had...presumably the Rui Pinto hacks, but became aware the club had several security leaks and withheld his information for fear of compromising himself. That’s my understanding of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.