Manchester City v Manchester United, FA Cup 4th round 1955.

Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed that. I especially enjoyed the Pathe newsreel-style commentary.

But I feel I should point out:

- this cannot have been a real game because City have no history.

- there cannot have been 75,000 in the crowd because City have no fans.

- in the age of VAR the rag's sending off would have been rescinded.

- we lost in the final (3-1 to Newcastle) so ultimately "fat lot of good it did us." (Arguably. Beating the rags is always nice.)

Apparently that was United's first red card in 6 years, since 1949 (also against City).

I think that match in the clip was the same year as City's 5-0 win at OT, our biggest at the swamp until the sick swan equaled it.

Ken Barnes said of the red card: "Funnily enough the thing I remember most about the Cup game, was that their centre half, Allenby Chilton, got sent off. They get sent off for anything nowadays of course, but back then it was still a rarity. You usually had to have a corpse, or at least the chalk outline of where the corpse had been, to see a sending off. I don’t remember the tackle being anything that you didn’t see week in and week out back then. In fact I was close by as it happened and I told the referee not to send him off."

an odd one! maybe called the ref a vagabond or something.

1952-53 City 2 United 1 United 1 City 1
1953-54 City 2 United 0 United 1 City 1
1954-55 City 3 United 2
City promptly won this Cup Tie 2-0 and a fortnight later won the return league fixture at Old Trafford 5-0.

However, United had been a top team in the post war period whereas City had been promoted/relegated/promoted, and up to that point, not really threatened to win anything.

Also, I suspect that in 1955 a Pathe Newsreader wouldn't have access to a list of recent results between the two teams, if indeed they actually existed at the time.

Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed that. I especially enjoyed the Pathe newsreel-style commentary.

But I feel I should point out:

- this cannot have been a real game because City have no history.

- there cannot have been 75,000 in the crowd because City have no fans.

- in the age of VAR the rag's sending off would have been rescinded.

- we lost in the final (3-1 to Newcastle) so ultimately "fat lot of good it did us." (Arguably. Beating the rags is always nice.)
Pathélogical liars…

Apparently that was United's first red card in 6 years, since 1949 (also against City).

I think that match in the clip was the same year as City's 5-0 win at OT, our biggest at the swamp until the sick swan equaled it.

Ken Barnes said of the red card: "Funnily enough the thing I remember most about the Cup game, was that their centre half, Allenby Chilton, got sent off. They get sent off for anything nowadays of course, but back then it was still a rarity. You usually had to have a corpse, or at least the chalk outline of where the corpse had been, to see a sending off. I don’t remember the tackle being anything that you didn’t see week in and week out back then. In fact I was close by as it happened and I told the referee not to send him off."

an odd one! maybe called the ref a vagabond or something.
I thought I read that Chilton was sent off in a semi final at Bramhall Lane

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.