Manchester City vs Liverpool pre-match thread (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermankrypton

Getting pretty sick of every man and his dog (largely the media) banging on about this match as if the Dippers have won the league already. Only last night I wondered if I'd somehow travelled into the future to find they had only one game to win the league and the dawning over them was quite shocking. It's getting so ridiculous, one can only laugh. They're so caught up in the Hillsborough anniversary it's almost as if they have a bloody divine right to win the game! Unbelievable .

Well, I say let them carry on. Let the world expect a Dipper victory. You'd think they only had to turn up and the title is theirs. Well, bollocks. There are two teams playing on Sunday and I'm certain we'll do our talking on the pitch. The romance of the occasion has truly gotten to their heads to the point where they're completely deluded. No surprise there. We'll pay our respects to the 96, and rightly so, but after that we'll give them a surprise. We're stronger all over the park and I see nothing less than a City win. The pressure is all theirs. 1-3 to the blues.

Re: Manchester City vs Liverpool pre-match thread

Personally I have a huge sympathy and believe the scousers have every right to bang on about hillsborough. Had some of the families and the club not banged on about it then the police who caused the deaths of 96 people and the crooked politicians and news corp journalists who lied and blamed the fans. Only the perseverance and constancy of the campaign ever brought to light what is without doubt one of the worst political and policing cover ups since the war. So yes there may be some victim behaviour but there are a few thousand scousers and Liverpool fans who are related to or who were friends , sons, wives, parents of the 96 who saw their close ones die a hideous death and then get falsely blamed for their own demise. So I for one will be with them on Sunday and will remember how I felt watching it 25 years ago and how it effected me and I hope that even if it takes another year or 10 they will get justice.

Then having stood and remembered the tragedy I hope we will batter them as we are better than them, we have better players and better characters

Im all for remembering Hillsborough, I can still see the events of that day unfold in my head. One of those events that stay in the memory, a bit like 9/11. My heart goes out to the families as all they did was go to a football match and never came home. Add to that the cover up, Thatcher, the Police etc, just disgusting.
Im just not sure having the Rememberance on the same day as the match is the best way.

Damocles said:
edit: get out of jail edit for mocking football disasters - just a bit of fun yeh?

You see, now I'm actually annoyed here.

I didn't mock a football disaster, I made reference to a hooligan incident by Liverpool fans when a Liverpool fan jokingly made references to themselves as a hooligan.

Reference and disrespect are absolutely not the same thing. Secondly, what exactly could I do to disrespect Liverpool fans about Heysel. You killed people. It's that's simple. This is something that you have to live with whether it feeds into your idea of what your club is or not.

I didn't mock the dead, I satirised the murderers. That's the difference.

Maybe if you didn't want to be remind of Liverpool's hooligan past you shouldn't have attempted to humorously imitate a Liverpool fan hooligan?

And this is exactly the problem with Liverpool as a fanbase. Even a mention of Heysel is "disrespectful to the dead" but consistently ignoring them in favour of your own disaster with Hillsborough and showing the massive difference in effort in determining the truth of these two events is perfectly fine and respectful. As long as you have some sort of banner next time you met Juve, then it's ok and you can pat yourselves on the back whilst screaming outrage.

You're not on RAWK anymore. You've confused referencing with disrespecting, probably because this is the first time you've had this conversation as Heysel is essentially a topic for Liverpool apologists to bust out the poetry on your forums.

owned lol scouse hypocrites

and if 'you can only win' what do you actually win when you lose? is there some special scouse prize i'm unaware of?

I think some of the references to Hillsborough this week have been overly mawkish, but I think people can be forgiven for that. There's worse things in this world. A sense of injustice has a capacity to overwhelm the senses like few other human experiences - and any Liverpool fan, any football fan, has a right to feel a complete sense of injustice at Hillsborough, at least as far as I'm concerned. Not only weren't the fans to blame for the disaster in any meaningful way, but those in power and authority lied about their culpability and then systematically covered their tracks and colluded to maintain those lies. Supporting a football club engenders a tremendous, almost illogical sense of belonging, so it isn't difficult for me to see how the death of 96 fellow fans and all the injustice that flowed from it, is something that overshadows the consciousness of that club, those who played for it and those who support it. I know those City fans at the game will appreciate and respect this. These were fellow football supporters at a game, who needlessly died as a result of the incompetence of others, who subsequently tried to cover that incompetence up. If you can't empathise with that, as a match-going fan, then you are quite possibly a sociopath, pathologically.

There is no doubt, however, that Heysel is sidestepped to some extent by people connected with Liverpool. I find it particularly galling when Liverpool fans pontificate about the club's history and the 'class and dignity' that they've always displayed, partly because it smacks of overweening hubris, but also because it chooses to ignore the hand that Liverpool fans played in the death of 39 other supporters, like the victims of Hillsborough, just attending a game of football. To operate in this world of Doublethink, rather than accentuate the memories of the 96, detracts from it a little, in actual fact, imo.

To my mind (assuming this hasn't happened), it would have been a wonderful gesture if someone closely associated with Liverpool Football Club had, in the course of the build up to this week, asked Liverpool fans to spare a moment for those that lost their lives at Heysel on Sunday. Not to tarnish or attenuate the memories of the 96 in any way, but rather to emphasise that those that lost their lives in both tragedies had so much in common in terms of what brought them to those respective grounds and the blameless way they met their ends.

When people talk about Hillsborough and Heysel in the same breath, perhaps that is what some are trying to say.

EalingBlue2 said:
Personally I have a huge sympathy and believe the scousers have every right to bang on about hillsborough. Had some of the families and the club not banged on about it then the police who caused the deaths of 96 people and the crooked politicians and news corp journalists who lied and blamed the fans. Only the perseverance and constancy of the campaign ever brought to light what is without doubt one of the worst political and policing cover ups since the war. So yes there may be some victim behaviour but there are a few thousand scousers and Liverpool fans who are related to or who were friends , sons, wives, parents of the 96 who saw their close ones die a hideous death and then get falsely blamed for their own demise. So I for one will be with them on Sunday and will remember how I felt watching it 25 years ago and how it effected me and I hope that even if it takes another year or 10 they will get justice.

Then having stood and remembered the tragedy I hope we will batter them as we are better than them, we have better players and better characters

So you think the liverpool fans who turned up late with no tickets have no blame ?
Yes the police lost the polt and there was lies. yes i feel for the familys of the 96, the 96 who died did nothing wrong but some liverpol fans need to look at them self's.
This shit is getting out of hand now BBC news at 6 last night was all this will be the best title ever, for the the 96, fuck it we will smash them.

Re Hillsborough, I just find it all rather boring going over and over it again and again. Roughly 8,000 children in Africa die of hunger EVERY DAY.

Sit back and let that sink in just for one moment. 8,000 children, every day.

Closer to home, if you want to get polical about it, the government's (I am not saying which government, btw) refusal or inability to sort out our air quality (in particular Nitrogen Dioxide levels), means 29,000 people die needlessly in the UK every year. 29,000 a year.

And then think of 96 people, 25 years ago. Yes Hillsborough was a tragedy, but it was 25 years ago. For each person involved in some way their own personal tragedy is no less valid that any other. But as an event, in the great scheme of things, it does not need endlessly raking over. Least of all in a thread about who might win a football match.

Can't wait for tomorrow first where going beat city easily ( Liverpool 5 v 1 city ) Another thing what's this about we haven't done it ( Winning the league MUPPETS ) We have WON 18 League Title,5 European Cups ( ONE FOR KEEPS ) 3 UEFA Cups,7 FA CUPS,8 League Cups = 41 MAJOR TITLES ( THE MOST SUCCESSFUL ENGLISH CLUB ) What have city EVER WON ( IDIOTS ) Why don't you tell us about city's glorious history,oh you haven't one lol YOUR WIN'S MEAN NOTHING BECAUSE YOU BOUGHT IT ;-)

I come on this thread to read about views of how the game is going to go and how we will set up to play against a very good team and it's turning into a political debate about Hillsborough.

IMO we need a compact midfield with Yaya pushed further up to give Gerard something to think about and Clichy with speed on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.