Manchester City Women (merged)

Re: Manchester City Ladies - Toni Duggan {merged}

Has anybody any idea when the season starts?

I would love to go and watch them at the minihad.

I think its superb that City have embraced the ladies team and a successful Man City ladies could work wonders on inspiring local girls to take up the sport or watch the sport and get involved with City hopefully. Ladies football has in my opinion enormous growth potential and it would be wonderful in years to come to see MCFC ladies play at a packed Etihad.

I watched the odd cup final and the Euros a few years back. Pleased City are in the new comp and look to be competitive.

I'll take the kids along to the odd match and would certainly watch it on TV if it is on BT.

The athletics arena is a shit ground for football though, although I guess they'll end up at the campus.

Rascal said:

I think its superb that City have embraced the ladies team and a successful Man City ladies could work wonders on inspiring local girls to take up the sport or watch the sport and get involved with City hopefully. Ladies football has in my opinion enormous growth potential and it would be wonderful in years to come to see MCFC ladies play at a packed Etihad.

Pretty sure it's March.

another expansion to the biggest growing club in world football, its all good.

Scotty76 said:
Rascal said:

Pretty sure it's March.

Cheers Scotty

Summer footy then. I like that

SrilankanBlue said:
MCR JON spot on again!

Steph Houghton Signs!

England’s Steph Houghton will join City’s women’s team as the Blues recruit yet another experienced international to their ranks.

Houghton will join the club on a three-year deal on New Year’s Day, following international teammates Jill Scott, Karen Bardsley and Toni Duggan in the move to Manchester. With an already-impressive history, glittering with trophies and medals, Houghton is hoping to add many more achievements to her CV in the coming years.

“I’m very excited,” she said. “I’m so glad that City came in for me because as soon as I heard their plans for the future, I knew I wanted to be part of it.

“Women’s football is on the up and it’s becoming more competitive. There are a lot of transfers going on at the moment because every club has a vision to compete at the highest level.

...Steph Houghton...

Houghton began her career at local club Sunderland Ladies, before moving to Leeds United Ladies in 2007. During her time at the Whites, she was named the 2008 FA Women’s Young Player of the Year and played a key role in their 2010 FA Women’s Cup win, attracting interest from Arsenal.

After signing for the Gunners, Houghton picked up plenty of silverware. In her debut season, she was a pivotal part of their ‘treble-winning’ side that lifted the inaugural Women’s Super League title, the FA Women’s Cup and the Continental Cup.

Houghton admitted that it was tough to leave Arsenal but she is confident that she made the right decision and is looking forward to playing for City.

“I’d like to thank Arsenal very much for everything they’ve done for me,” she said. “They’ve helped me to grow as a player and it was a massive decision for me to leave. I had three very successful years there and I didn’t take the decision lightly.

“I’m looking forward to a new challenge now though and I’m eager to meet the City squad and the coaches. I know Jill, Karen and Toni from the England team so that will make things easier. They are very good individuals so it will be great for the squad to have so many international players.”

Houghton first represented her country at under-16 schools level and has gone on to make 40 appearances for the Three Lions. She made her senior debut in 2007 and since then, has gone on to score six goals, participating in her first major tournament at the 2011 Women’s World Cup.

She became a household name a year later, whilst representing Team GB during the Olympic Games. Despite playing as a left-back, she found the net in all three group matches, scoring the winning goals against New Zealand and Brazil. Unsurprisingly, she was named ‘left-back of the tournament’.

Needless to say, Houghton is proud of her achievements but is looking to gain many more at her new club.

“Taking part in the Olympics and to be part of Team GB was very special,” she said. “That’s probably my career highlight. Of course, I won the FA Cup with Leeds and Arsenal too and to lift the trophy as captain was pretty amazing!

“I’m very excited for the new season now and I want to play in as many games as I can, as well as I can. Fingers crossed, I’ll play frequently for both City and for England and we’ll have a successful first season.”

She's the current golden girl of WSL.

Arsenal becoming our ladies team feeder club now?

Ruining womens football.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.