Manchester derby - late 1970's

black mamba said:
Blue Streak said:
Just been watching some YouTube highlights of a Maine Road derby circa 1977 and it's interesting to note that the Kippax/Platt Lane Corner housing the Rags has additional wire fencing put up? Barry Davies makes a comment regarding this being put up specifically for this one game? Was this the norm when we played them back then or was it also implemented for other big games at the time?

I've looked at the Maine Road derbies from both the 76-77 season , and the 77-78 season , and it looks to me like the wire fencing is in place on that corner at both games , so in my opinion it could have been in place for at least two seasons back then ...... can't see it just being erected for the derby games in particular.

I remember a few incidents to used to take place in that 'Platt Lane' corner of the kippax around that time ... some clubs , like Liverpool , United and Newcastle could bring big followings to Maine Road back then .......Spurs got chased onto the pitch in that corner by City fans , and Leeds fans got chased into that corner once too by City fans , who had 'infiltrated' the visitors side of the kippax ... so that extra fencing could have been erected as a general safeguard.

West Ham got chased out of the kippax on the opposite corner , down near the North stand ....... and United yobs used to gather on that North Stand corner in derbies too , until the late eighties or so , when the tide began to turn and City fans decided not to stand for it .

But in those days most grounds had fencing on one kind or another .... they had to with all the fuckin' hooligans that were around !
one of the best things ever about bluemoon is black mamba,s recollections of the sorties of the 70s/80s... BM take a bow..every fucking post by you is quality mate. don,t ever,ever stop posting on here.

Balti said:
ifiwasarichfan said:
The best Derby from the Seventies was the one after Malcolm had come back and we really weren't doing well at all; but we did them 2 -0 at Home, Michael Robinson and Tony Henry scored.

Nah 4 -0 cup game

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGNgS-DPJcY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGNgS-DPJcY</a>

commentator seems dead happy lol

That was the Game that we lost King Colin though, Balti.

ifiwasarichfan said:
Balti said:
ifiwasarichfan said:
The best Derby from the Seventies was the one after Malcolm had come back and we really weren't doing well at all; but we did them 2 -0 at Home, Michael Robinson and Tony Henry scored.

Nah 4 -0 cup game

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGNgS-DPJcY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGNgS-DPJcY</a>

commentator seems dead happy lol

That was the Game that we lost King Colin though, Balti.

buchan the dirty rag twat

they have a history of it don't they the dirty rag bastards

roy keane probably loves martin buchan

martin buchan loves leg breaking piss head ''georgie'' best

etc

My first derby was 78/79 season and definitely remember that chicken wire fence being up. I only ever saw it up for the rags. Back then only the rags and Liverpool used to have the corner next to the cage.

dennishasdoneit said:
black mamba said:
Blue Streak said:
Just been watching some YouTube highlights of a Maine Road derby circa 1977 and it's interesting to note that the Kippax/Platt Lane Corner housing the Rags has additional wire fencing put up? Barry Davies makes a comment regarding this being put up specifically for this one game? Was this the norm when we played them back then or was it also implemented for other big games at the time?

I've looked at the Maine Road derbies from both the 76-77 season , and the 77-78 season , and it looks to me like the wire fencing is in place on that corner at both games , so in my opinion it could have been in place for at least two seasons back then ...... can't see it just being erected for the derby games in particular.

I remember a few incidents to used to take place in that 'Platt Lane' corner of the kippax around that time ... some clubs , like Liverpool , United and Newcastle could bring big followings to Maine Road back then .......Spurs got chased onto the pitch in that corner by City fans , and Leeds fans got chased into that corner once too by City fans , who had 'infiltrated' the visitors side of the kippax ... so that extra fencing could have been erected as a general safeguard.

West Ham got chased out of the kippax on the opposite corner , down near the North stand ....... and United yobs used to gather on that North Stand corner in derbies too , until the late eighties or so , when the tide began to turn and City fans decided not to stand for it .

But in those days most grounds had fencing on one kind or another .... they had to with all the fuckin' hooligans that were around !
one of the best things ever about bluemoon is black mamba,s recollections of the sorties of the 70s/80s... BM take a bow..every fucking post by you is quality mate. don,t ever,ever stop posting on here.

Was thinking the same about BM,quality and brings back memories.

i remember some kind of a riendly between them and us maybe 1970/71 nothing to keep us apart saw some awful fighting after the next time they came there was a long piece of wire dividing us, i also recall newcastle in 72 i think it was in the cup they beat us 2-0 at home quite rare then there was some wire then... i do remember sunderland in 73 and i am pretty sure it was barriers then..but hey time and beer makes a mess of your mind

chaddblue said:
Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
pedigreeblue said:
one vivid memory I have of a Maine Rd derby of around that time, was coming out onto the Kippax Car Park, lots of scuffles, gesticulating , and running around was the norm. This big United fan runs over to a younger smaller lad and says 'Are you a Red or a Blue', the lad replied 'I'm a Super Blue', and proceeded in landing a right hook on the Reds chin, putting him on his arse. Oh how I laughed !

I remember us beating them 3-1 at home around that time, with Steve Coppell scoring a screamer for them. I think it was the same season when Barnes made his debut against Italy aged 17? Coppell was in the same team and I think made his debut the same night.....

Now people talk about players from a different era, Peter Barnes would easily fit into this current side imo!!

I remember that game. Think England won 2-0 and keegan scored, but they still didn't qualify for the 78 world cup after losing in Rome.

There was an Italian defender, Franco Causio? Who was possibly the dirtiest player I have ever seen, who just spent the entire 90 mins trying to cripple Peter Barnes, but he was just too quick for him

Claudio Gentile was the dirty twat.

Franco Causio was the skilful winger from the same vintage.

pissedagain said:
i remember some kind of a riendly between them and us maybe 1970/71 nothing to keep us apart saw some awful fighting after the next time they came there was a long piece of wire dividing us, i also recall newcastle in 72 i think it was in the cup they beat us 2-0 at home quite rare then there was some wire then... i do remember sunderland in 73 and i am pretty sure it was barriers then..but hey time and beer makes a mess of your mind

Geordies brought 10,000 that day,kicking off everywhere - was 75 I think

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.