Manchester Histories Festival - City talks, walks & plays

Gary James

A quick heads up about the City/football related stuff going on at this year's Manchester Histories Festival.

I've been doing a lot of work with the organisers and details will be announced shortly on some of the specifics but there are already a few activities planned that should be of great interest to City fans.

Further details will follow but here's a few snippets....

Thursday 1st March - Together with Manc tour guide Jonathan Schofield we've designed a Football Walk taking in some of Manchester city centres football history sites. Me and JS will be hoping to provide some entertaining stories along the way.

Friday 2nd March - Football debate on 'overseas ownership' followed by performance of "I'll Be Bert" by Bill Cronshaw (re Bert Trautmann).

Saturday 3rd March - My talk on the relationship between City & Utd from 1880 to present day, followed by 2nd performance of "I'll Be Bert."
(then City V Bolton at Etihad).

More info will follow shortly, but this should be well worth attending.

Gary James said:
Thursday 1st March - Together with Manc tour guide Jonathan Schofield we've designed a Football Walk taking in some of Manchester city centres football history sites.
Schofield's walks are very good. Well done getting this organised!

BlueMoon_1987 said:
This sounds great and as a huge history buff is right down my street. It's funny that I've never heard of this particular festival before now, how long has it been going?

Get involved mate.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchesterhistoriesfestival.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchesterhistoriesfestival.org.uk/</a>

BlueMoon_1987 said:
This sounds great and as a huge history buff is right down my street. It's funny that I've never heard of this particular festival before now, how long has it been going?

This is the second festival. The first was in 2009 and the aim is to make it every 2 years from now on.

I talked at the first one on the development of football and David Meek also did a football talk.

This time the festival's been widened out a bit more and there will be free events (my talk, debate and Bill's play will be free but ticketed I believe), so well worth finding out more nearer the time when tickets are available.

After the talks and tours I've done for City's Academy and for specific depts within the Club, quite a few people suggested it'd be good if similar things could be organised for the wider public.... so here we are. Because it's the Manchester Histories Festival the subject matter will be Manchester's clubs not purely City - but there will be plenty to interest fans of City.

I'll Be Bert is a must see for City fans or anyone interested in Manc history.

This hasn't quite been finalised yet, but the footballing stuff I'm involved with looks like:

· Thursday 1 March 6pm Football Tour (tickets available now via <a class="postlink" href="http://www.jonathanschofieldtours.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.jonathanschofieldtours.com/</a> - see costs/booking details etc. on that site)

· Friday 2 March Debate on Overseas Ownership 6.30 – 7.30pm, free

· Friday 2 March I'll Be Bert (Bill Cronshaw's Bert Trautmann play) 8.30 – 9.45pm, free but ticketed

· Saturday 3 March Gary James talk (Manc rivalry since 1880) 10.30am, free

· Saturday 3 March I'll Be Bert (Bill Cronshaw's Bert Trautmann play) – Time TBC, free but ticketed

Then off to the Etihad for City-Bolton!

As all of this, apart from the walking tour (and the game!) is free, it would be well worth attending.

Gary James said:
BlueMoon_1987 said:

This is the second festival. The first was in 2009 and the aim is to make it every 2 years from now on.

I talked at the first one on the development of football and David Meek also did a football talk.

This time the festival's been widened out a bit more and there will be free events (my talk, debate and Bill's play will be free but ticketed I believe), so well worth finding out more nearer the time when tickets are available.

After the talks and tours I've done for City's Academy and for specific depts within the Club, quite a few people suggested it'd be good if similar things could be organised for the wider public.... so here we are. Because it's the Manchester Histories Festival the subject matter will be Manchester's clubs not purely City - but there will be plenty to interest fans of City.

This is all fantastic work. I'm genuinely impressed and will definitely be coming down to most, if not all, of the talks and events. Especially the ones involving City!

I've had a quick look around the website and can't seem to find when and where tickets will be available from. Could you shed any light on that for me? Cheers.

Would also love to get involved in someway but unfortunately just don't have the time. It'll be full steam ahead with GCSE preparation at that time of year so all my spare time will be spent trying to come up with various ways to get unmotivated teenagers to pass the most important exams of their lives!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.