Mancini-Ireland must change

danny21manc

I really hope we can see Stevie back to his best next season.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6146783,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 83,00.html</a>

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has warned Stephen Ireland he must 'change his head' if he is to have a future at Eastlands.

Ireland's future at City has been the subject of speculation in recent months with the player admitting last week he did not know if he figured in the club's long-term plans.

The former Republic of Ireland international is understood to have held a meeting with City's hierarchy to discuss his future with a number of clubs thought to be waiting in the wings to sign him if he leaves this summer

Mancini believes Ireland's problems this season have been mental and he has called on the Irishman to be in the right frame of mind if he wants to resurrect his City career.

"I spoke to Stephen two weeks ago but we must speak again soon," said Mancini.

"I don't know what he is thinking about his future but, for me, Stephen is a fantastic player and if he can change his head I think he can start to play like last season [2008-09] again."

Talks
Meanwhile, Patrick Vieira is hoping to agree a new deal to keep him at City.

Vieira joined City from Inter Milan in January on a short-term deal until the end of the season with the option of a further year.

Former Arsenal ace Vieira admits he was left frustrated with his form since his arrival, but he is excited about the potential at City.

"It has not gone the way I wanted because I wanted to give more of a contribution," Vieira said.

"The manager and the board believed in me and I wanted to repay the trust they had for me. I did right at the end of the season but unfortunately it was maybe a little bit too late.

"But I would love to stay. When you look at where the club was a few years ago and where the club is now it is really exciting.

"We need to talk and hopefully we will agree something."

My neither, which is kind of sad considering his potential. But, in times like these I say Forza Mancini and trust him to make the right decisions for the club.

The lad has clearly got some issues.

As for Vieira getting a new contract, he's simply not done enough to merit one. By his own admission he's not played that well.....it would be a joke if we extend his contract

I'm a bit more ambivalent.

Stevie was a bit ordinary 3 seasons ago. Got into some great positions in front of goal and had absolutely zero composure and fluffed the lot.

Then 2 seasons ago was simply inspired.

And last season (just gone) back to be ordinary at best.

The jury is out for me as to whether his top form was a flash in the pan or not.

It would be a sad day were The Emerald Prince to leave CoMS. When he was buzzing we saw some great play and he scored some great goals - the one against Reading in the dying seconds was a classic. Why he cannot seem to do even the basics now is a complete mystery. I hope he gets told he is in Mancini's long term plans because his historic performances were what we have been sorely missing this season.

Im sorry but this is what worries me about RM

All ireland has done is question his future at city.....as ANY player would do having played so little....yes his form hasnt been as good as it should but I can understand his frustration.....

There have been numerous times this season in games where a change needed to be made...ireland sitting on the bench able to provide a killer pass or run and yet he brings on someone like vierra or sylvinio in midfield.....Some of RM tactical moves at times have been bemusing to a lot of us and I think Ireland sees that RM only has one way of playing and he is very rigid in that...(that is clear for everyone to see).....so i understand why ireland is questioning his future....

He is an undoubted talent yet he has to see people like vierra (who has lost it in my opinion) and sylvinio get on the pitch ahead of him

To start saying that ireland needs to sort his head out is a kop out by Mancini...its just too easy for him to put all the blame on SI without havignto come out abnd say you dont figure in my plans or system of play

RM is too rigid in the way he sets his team out...the best managers (ferguson wenger, jose etc...will change formations and tactics)....mancini doesnt...he sticks rigidly to 4-4-2 and a very basic way of playing.

Yes Ireland does need to sort out his performances but he needs to be given the chance to do so. RM needs to not be so rigid in the way he plays and the formations he uses....we ar far too predictable at times and have no plan B<br /><br />-- Tue May 11, 2010 10:05 am --<br /><br />
Matt the very impressive Giant said:
My neither, which is kind of sad considering his potential. But, in times like these I say Forza Mancini and trust him to make the right decisions for the club.

offering vierra a new contract isnt a right decision....he has had very little to no impact this year (by his own admission).....why keeep him? he is only going t get slower and less able

He's got so much talent and I would love him to stay and improve, but we do have to consider two major points:

1) If Stevie doesn't do it, we can buy someone who can

2)The perception of Stevie from other fans is that he is still an awesome player. They clearly remember his 08-09 performances and we could choose to cash in on that.

I truly believe that Mancini could make him an iconic City player, but the first step towards that does have to come from the player. If he declares an intention to stay, fight for his place, learn and improve, Mancini could work him towards a real cultured midfielder role. However, we don;t have time to piss about either, and if Roberto feels Hamsik or Gurcuff is a better bet then that's that.

Give him a kick up the arse; take down that banner, then he'll think 'oh shit, i've gotta start playing and i've gotta continue playing'. It would kick his ego into touch and maybe sort his head out.....or it could have the opposite affect and he'll break down, either way its a risk worth taking.

I've been wondering if there are some off the field distractions going on with him this year. I just can't believe he would all of a sudden "lose it" from last year to this. And don't go blaming Roberto, he had lost is while Hughes was still in charge. He was a shell of himself from last season to this. Something clearly was going on that the public wasn't aware of.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.