Mancini on Johnson: "Two Dribbles, Two Crosses"

edgecroft

From the Mirror:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/12/adam-johnson-roberto-mancini-england?intcmp=239" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... intcmp=239</a>

Has fame gone to Adam Johnson's head after breaking into England squad?
The manager Roberto Mancini addresses first signs of bigheadedness, believing his winger is not the finished article
Daniel Taylor
guardian.co.uk, Friday 12 November 2010 22.30 GMT
Adam-Johnson-Manchester-C-006.jpg

Roberto Mancini has defended his selective use of Adam Johnson and, breaking his usual rule of not criticising his own players, questioned whether the Manchester City winger has allowed the praise he has received from breaking into the England side to go to his head. While Johnson has established himself on the left side of Fabio Capello's team, the former Middlesbrough player has started only one of City's past seven Premier League games, with Mancini preferring David Silva, James Milner or Mario Balotelli.

Mancini, the City manager, has already felt compelled to address what he perceives to be the first signs of bigheadedness affecting Johnson earlier in the season, and the Italian was as critical of him as he has been of any player during his 11 months in Manchester. "England is like Italy, when a young player plays five games very well all the newspapers say: 'Oh, this Adam Johnson is a fantastic player.' But Adam is a young player, he doesn't understand [the game] very well and he can improve a lot more if he thinks more when he plays.

"He's a good player but he's only 22, he's played only 20 games in the Premier League and it's impossible to think of him now as a top player. He's a good guy, but when you are young and you read the newspapers: 'I am the top, I am the top.' For this, he must work, he must think, he must work for the team; not two dribbles, two crosses. In a top team you need more. If you're doing only two dribbles, you can't be the best player on the pitch. You must score a goal, you must defend, you must help your team-mates. There is more expected of him." That criticism is likely to sting Johnson but Mancini believes the player is too easily distracted by some of the trappings that can affect young players.

City's coaching staff were unimpressed by his reaction when he was substituted in one match and he has done himself few favours by being one of the players who ended up drinking into the early hours at a student house party in St Andrews during a recent day off, video footage of which was sold to the Sun and has led to a public apology from Gareth Barry, who arranged the trip. "It's important all the players must have good behaviour during the week because we must prepare for every game very well," Mancini said. "He [Johnson] must keep his feet on the floor and he must stay there. It's better for him [not always starting him] if he wants to improve. He's a good player, he has a fantastic talent but he is not a top player at this moment. Maybe he can arrive at the top but the difficulty is to stay there. Adam has a quality to go to the top and stay there but he must improve."

Johnson has expressed his unhappiness at being left out. "I wouldn't say I'm great with it. I want to be playing all the time but I've got to get on with it. It's a little bit frustrating because I started the season so well, my form was really good, but I tend to find myself on the bench."

Mancini's men play Birmingham City tomorrow with the former Internazionale coach still rejecting the criticisms about his side's conservative tactics in Wednesday's 0-0 draw with Manchester United. "I didn't think it was a boring game," he said. "I'm surprised only by the criticisms of our supporters. It's impossible to be a fantastic team, scoring three or four goals every week. At this moment 0-0 was a good result for us."

Still can't reckon why we're antagonizing our best young attacker. Does Mancini want him to hand in a transfer request? I think that's where this is leading, frankly.

This situation is making the club look clueless. Rival fans are having a laugh at our expense saying we leave our best winger on the bench.

NewbBlue said:
Still can't reckon why we're antagonizing our best young attacker. Does Mancini want him to hand in a transfer request? I think that's where this is leading, frankly.

This situation is making the club look clueless. Rival fans are having a laugh at our expense saying we leave our best winger on the bench.

Rival fans also say Stephen Ireland was our best player - because they know fuck-all except a few flashy clips.

It is obvious AJ is not contributing enough, just as it is obvious that Bobby has broken his rule of not criticising players publicly in order to give him a kick up the backside and get better results.

Any young player who hands in a transfer request right at the start of something big needs to be put in a lunatic asylum. On the other hand if he doesn't do more than a couple of dribbles and crosses soon (by next summer) he wont need to request.

To be honest he does have a world cup winner who has over fifty caps for Spain, the captain of the team and balotelli who Mancini obviously has alot of belief in ahead of him for the three forward spaces so I can sort of see his reasoning for wanting Johnson to keep his feet on the ground and improve. Don't think there would be too many people that would argue that silva has better vision and ball distribution than Johnson has at the minute and I think that is the type of player he wants Johnson to become hence the two dribbles two crosses statement. Hopefully Johnson can adapt to mancini's gameplan because he is a star in the making and with a few tweaks to the team and tactics both by manager and player he can fulfil his potential with city

john@staustell said:
NewbBlue said:

Rival fans also say Stephen Ireland was our best player - because they know fuck-all except a few flashy clips.

It is obvious AJ is not contributing enough, just as it is obvious that Bobby has broken his rule of not criticising players publicly in order to give him a kick up the backside and get better results.

Any young player who hands in a transfer request right at the start of something big needs to be put in a lunatic asylum. On the other hand if he doesn't do more than a couple of dribbles and crosses soon (by next summer) he wont need to request.

Micah Richards and Stephen Ireland are both prime examples of fame struck youngsters that just ruined themselves.

I don't know...maybe Mancini is right about this one, but if I was Johnson I'd be very annoyed and frustrated. You could tell in a post-match interview a few weeks back when he came on to score a winner (forget which game) that he felt he was doing enough for a starting place and just didn't know what he'd have to do to convince the manager. Maybe he is best from the bench at the moment but I don't know if he's happy with that.

NewbBlue said:

Silva? Balotelli? Tevez? these 3 probably make up our strongest attack. I can understand why many fans prefer AJ over Milner but Milner is stronger over 90 minutes and adds a lot more defensively to the team.

It does seem odd for Mancini to be so public in his criticism of him, must have done something to piss him off. Still, it's a long season, AJ will have plenty of opportunities to show what he can do, I hope he sticks at it and fights for his place.

As for rival fans having a laugh at our expense, fuck em.

This is one aspect of the game where SGE really excelled - man managment. Remember the whole thing about Richards having a threesome in some bathroom? Fucking idiotic thing to film and start spreading around, but SGE handled it perfectly anyway. Both in the press and telling Richards himself that he's been through the same tabloid humiliation and that you can't let it get to you. You could tell Richards had nothing but respect for SGE after that, and played some of his best football to date.

Mancini does indeed seem to think of SGE as his mentor, so I suppose he could still learn a few things. But then as I said maybe he's thought it through very hard, in regards to A Johnson. It is important not to let stuff go to your head and do what's best for the team.

NewbBlue said:

If any player throws a strop and hands in a transfer request (?!!) over this sort of comment from the manager then they're probably

a) Not the sort of player we need here

b) Unlikely to ever become one of the best players in the world anywhere, with that mentality.

We've got to nothing suggest Johnson would react that way, but if he or any other player did, we'd be better off without them frankly.

Mancini's comments are fair enough, in fact in years gone by (and still now, among the most level-headed and mature) they were seen as standard managerial fare and young players took them in their stride. That should be the way it is.

Johnson is our best natural winger, I agree with that, but our system doesn't call for that type of player to be playing a full 90 minutes every single game right now.

Also he's still only 22, he has all the time in the world and there's a lot to be said for ''pacing yourself'' in terms of the development of young players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.