Mancini on Johnson: "Two Dribbles, Two Crosses"

the talisman said:
NewbBlue said:
Still can't reckon why we're antagonizing our best young attacker. Does Mancini want him to hand in a transfer request? I think that's where this is leading, frankly.

This situation is making the club look clueless. Rival fans are having a laugh at our expense saying we leave our best winger on the bench.

Silva? Balotelli? Tevez? these 3 probably make up our strongest attack. I can understand why many fans prefer AJ over Milner but Milner is stronger over 90 minutes and adds a lot more defensively to the team.

It does seem odd for Mancini to be so public in his criticism of him, must have done something to piss him off. Still, it's a long season, AJ will have plenty of opportunities to show what he can do, I hope he sticks at it and fights for his place.

As for rival fans having a laugh at our expense, fuck em.

I agree with all of this.

To add to it, I loved the way AJ came off the bench against Newcastle. Straight at them as soon as he got on. Newcastle's tiring defence couldn't handle a fresh player of AJ's quality. Obviously we can't use him like that every game but no reason why he can't start 1 in 3 and come off the bench for the other 2 depending on player performances.

All in all, plenty of time for the lad and if he gets his head down he could have a successful long term future at City.

Johnson's style is naturally direct. When he gets the ball his first thought is to take on the full back. That's what i love about him and he's got the talent to back it up. I'm just concerned that Mancini will coach this out of him and turn him into a robot

Georgian Maestro said:
Johnson's style is naturally direct. When he gets the ball his first thought is to take on the full back. That's what i love about him and he's got the talent to back it up. I'm just concerned that Mancini will coach this out of him and turn him into a robot

I honestly dont think he has too much of a problem with AJ being direct, or wants to mess him up like SWP at Chelski.

But firstly he would like him to do it more often, and secondly it's the other 88 minutes apart from his two mazy runs that are under scrutiny. IMHO.

NewbBlue said:
Still can't reckon why we're antagonizing our best young attacker. Does Mancini want him to hand in a transfer request? I think that's where this is leading, frankly.

This situation is making the club look clueless. Rival fans are having a laugh at our expense saying we leave our best winger on the bench.
Oh dear

AJ is obviously a talent but he still has an awful lot to learn about the game & how he can influence a full game more than just for a few minutes.
Hopefully he'll learn quickly as we lack width & also the fact that he's 22 & not a kid anymore.

It his defensive duties that concerns Mancini. He provides little coverage to the fullback especially when they bomb forward. Personally I think it is the two defensive mids that should provide the cover but what do I know - I am in IT management where as Bobby is a football manager so bow to his knowledge.

I do think that he should have done his criticising in house but so should have Johnson yesterday when he said, he deserved to be starting. Johnson supposedly off field antics will not sit well with Bobby.

did mancini really want him or was the deal already done before hughes went? for me johnson gives the place a lift when he gets the ball,quality player with great feet,lots to learn but havn`t we all.....

AJ needs to be more consistent his best performances for us this season have been when he has come of the bench, I think we should let the manager manage and maybe we supporters should do just that and get behind the team and manager

edgecroft said:
From the Mirror:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/12/adam-johnson-roberto-mancini-england?intcmp=239" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... intcmp=239</a>

Has fame gone to Adam Johnson's head after breaking into England squad?
The manager Roberto Mancini addresses first signs of bigheadedness, believing his winger is not the finished article
Daniel Taylor
guardian.co.uk, Friday 12 November 2010 22.30 GMT
Adam-Johnson-Manchester-C-006.jpg

Roberto Mancini has defended his selective use of Adam Johnson and, breaking his usual rule of not criticising his own players, questioned whether the Manchester City winger has allowed the praise he has received from breaking into the England side to go to his head. While Johnson has established himself on the left side of Fabio Capello's team, the former Middlesbrough player has started only one of City's past seven Premier League games, with Mancini preferring David Silva, James Milner or Mario Balotelli.

Mancini, the City manager, has already felt compelled to address what he perceives to be the first signs of bigheadedness affecting Johnson earlier in the season, and the Italian was as critical of him as he has been of any player during his 11 months in Manchester. "England is like Italy, when a young player plays five games very well all the newspapers say: 'Oh, this Adam Johnson is a fantastic player.' But Adam is a young player, he doesn't understand [the game] very well and he can improve a lot more if he thinks more when he plays.

"He's a good player but he's only 22, he's played only 20 games in the Premier League and it's impossible to think of him now as a top player. He's a good guy, but when you are young and you read the newspapers: 'I am the top, I am the top.' For this, he must work, he must think, he must work for the team; not two dribbles, two crosses. In a top team you need more. If you're doing only two dribbles, you can't be the best player on the pitch. You must score a goal, you must defend, you must help your team-mates. There is more expected of him." That criticism is likely to sting Johnson but Mancini believes the player is too easily distracted by some of the trappings that can affect young players.

City's coaching staff were unimpressed by his reaction when he was substituted in one match and he has done himself few favours by being one of the players who ended up drinking into the early hours at a student house party in St Andrews during a recent day off, video footage of which was sold to the Sun and has led to a public apology from Gareth Barry, who arranged the trip. "It's important all the players must have good behaviour during the week because we must prepare for every game very well," Mancini said. "He [Johnson] must keep his feet on the floor and he must stay there. It's better for him [not always starting him] if he wants to improve. He's a good player, he has a fantastic talent but he is not a top player at this moment. Maybe he can arrive at the top but the difficulty is to stay there. Adam has a quality to go to the top and stay there but he must improve."

Johnson has expressed his unhappiness at being left out. "I wouldn't say I'm great with it. I want to be playing all the time but I've got to get on with it. It's a little bit frustrating because I started the season so well, my form was really good, but I tend to find myself on the bench."

Mancini's men play Birmingham City tomorrow with the former Internazionale coach still rejecting the criticisms about his side's conservative tactics in Wednesday's 0-0 draw with Manchester United. "I didn't think it was a boring game," he said. "I'm surprised only by the criticisms of our supporters. It's impossible to be a fantastic team, scoring three or four goals every week. At this moment 0-0 was a good result for us."

???

wtf are we doing?

Frustrating tht he wasn't given more pitch time at the derby, exactly the sort of player that the game needed. His ability to turn and go past two defenders at a time is special, he just needs to learn to read the game more and maybe put on a few pounds of muscle (not to the extent of the sluggish lump that is richards but the svelt figure of the fake ronaldo?).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.