Martin Demichelis confirmed

BillyShears said:
franksinatra said:
=
That is the interesting part though isn't it. He was available on a free transfer, had worked with Pellegrini before, would clearly like the opportunity to play for us in the Premier league but we did not wish to sign him and was prepared to spend 25 million instead on Pepe. For whatever reason he was not considered suitable even on a free.

You've just answered your own question and completely contradicted the notion of him being a panic buy. We obviously felt at some point that Pepe was an attainable target, so moving for Demichelis wasn't a priority. However when it became apparent that Pepe wasn't available we moved for a player the manager knows, has worked with, and who was one of the standout performers in la liga last season, in a team that overachieved quite considerably. The opposite of a panic buy.

Not a contradiction at all. By chasing Pepe all summer, and as you say believing this was attainable, we were left to purchase a player as back up (when he wanted a first choice centre back) on the closing day of the transfer window, who was previously available on a free, costing 4 million for a player with no likely sell on value.

He may prove a very good buy and without doubt has been a fantastic player in the past, but lets face it he was not first choice and was clearly not the profile of player the manager wanted e.g a first choice centre half. Maybe it depends on your definition of panic buy I suppose.

franksinatra said:
BillyShears said:
franksinatra said:
=
That is the interesting part though isn't it. He was available on a free transfer, had worked with Pellegrini before, would clearly like the opportunity to play for us in the Premier league but we did not wish to sign him and was prepared to spend 25 million instead on Pepe. For whatever reason he was not considered suitable even on a free.

You've just answered your own question and completely contradicted the notion of him being a panic buy. We obviously felt at some point that Pepe was an attainable target, so moving for Demichelis wasn't a priority. However when it became apparent that Pepe wasn't available we moved for a player the manager knows, has worked with, and who was one of the standout performers in la liga last season, in a team that overachieved quite considerably. The opposite of a panic buy.

Not a contradiction at all. By chasing Pepe all summer, and as you say believing this was attainable, we were left to purchase a player as back up (when he wanted a first choice centre back) on the closing day of the transfer window, who was previously available on a free, costing 4 million for a player with no likely sell on value.

He may prove a very good buy and without doubt has been a fantastic player in the past, but lets face it he was not first choice and was clearly not the profile of player the manager wanted e.g a first choice centre half. Maybe it depends on your definition of panic buy I suppose.
Well yes. That was my entire point. ;)

Is this banter about him being injured :-(

@fjbautista on twitter. In Spanish. Hopefully bollocks

Potentially serious Knee ligament injury according to this bloke on twitter

@fjbautista:

Me llega la noticia de una lesión de rodilla de Demichelis, y puede tener incluso afectado el ligamento. Mala suerte para la zaga del City.

Translates to:

I even heard a knee injury Demichelis, and may have even affected the ligament. Bad luck for the rear of the City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.