Martinez / Wigan

peoffrey

Team supported
Wales
Anyone else think Roberto Martinez dropped a clanger by turning Villa down over the summer?

Blackburn and Bolton have had well documented poor starts to the season but Wigan still prop up the Premiership. They've lost their last 7 on the bounce including a Carling Cup exit to Palace. There's only going to be so many seasons where you take personal satisfaction from just doing enough to keep Wigan up.

I'm sure he's an able Manager but has limited resources.

One of the few managers in the Prem I actually like. Problem is I've no idea if he would be a good manager at a bigger club. Very classy bloke though, deserves better than Wigan.

forevermancity said:
Admire his loyalty, could do better than villa though

Who? Offers to join other Clubs don't happen every week. Particularly well established ones with a fair amount to spend. I'm not sure what opportunity will approach him next.

Most other Managers seem to jump at the chance when a bigger Club comes calling. Nigel Adkins, Eddie Howe and Dean Saunders spring to mind. You have to admire Roberto Martinez' loyalty but he lacks ambition in that respect. Villa is a big job.

forevermancity said:
Admire his loyalty, could do better than villa though
couldnt do much better, unlikely to land our job, scums, chelski's or arsenals, liverpool have their saviour but not sure about spurs, apart from that villa arent doing too badly again and theyll be top 8 this year maybe, missed the trick with that job he did

peoffrey said:
Most other Managers seem to jump at the chance when a bigger Club comes calling. Nigel Adkins, Eddie Howe and Dean Saunders spring to mind. You have to admire Roberto Martinez' loyalty but he lacks ambition in that respect. Villa is a big job.
Only Nigel Adkins so far out of those 3 has had success, i think Martinez did the right thing, i think he is going to learn his trade at Wigan go down, potentially bring them back up and then move on to a bigger club...

Didn't he say this would be his final year at Wigan (to "honour his contract") and then leave in the summer?

Possibly a bigger club available to him than Villa in the summer, and they weren't in the best of shape heading into this season (losing Young, Downing) so it wasn't the worst decision in the world.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.