Mass grave in Oldham, over 300 bodies found

MadchesterCity

A mass grave containing more than 300 bodies, including babies and children, has been uncovered.
An unmarked burial site at Royton Cemetery in Oldham contained 145 stillborn children, 128 babies and young children and 29 adults, local councillors said.
The discovery of the grave, which is about 12 ft (3.6m) by 12ft, was made by a woman from Royton while she was searching for the last resting place of her twin brothers, who died in 1962.
Councillors Maggie Hurley and Jade Hughes said it was a "heartbreaking revelation" and have called for a memorial to be built for all those buried there.

The woman told councillors, who assisted in her search, that her parents had never been able to say goodbye to her twin brothers.

One of them had been stillborn and the other had died within five hours of birth, she said.

Before the 1980s, stillborn babies were taken away from families who were not given any details of what happened to their babies or where they were buried.

Medical staff would tell bereaved parents their children would be buried alongside "a nice person" who was being buried that same day – often without giving them the opportunity to say goodbye.

Instead, the babies were interred in mass graves.

In a statement released by the Royton Independents, councillors Ms Hurley and Ms Hughes wrote they had been "profoundly affected" by the "heartbreaking revelation" of the mass grave being found.

They have put forward a motion to Oldham Council to "recognise the injustice" that has taken place.

Sad news, but perhaps some closure for families

What's the story on the 29 adults ?
Still born babies is one thing( apparently quite common right now...)
But how did the adults end up in a mass grave ?
Disturbing.

What's the story on the 29 adults ?
Still born babies is one thing( apparently quite common right now...)
But how did the adults end up in a mass grave ?
Disturbing.

The adults in the graves are presumed to be what are known as "pauper’s burials", for individuals whose families could not afford to pay for a grave.

In 1962 my mum lost a baby within hours of birth. As they did in those days, the baby was taken immediatly he was born and apparently placed in a nursery whilst the mother rested. She was never told anything other than the baby had died. Many years later she found where he had been buried, Urmston Cemetery.
I hope she she doesn't read this story.

Bloody hell that's grim. I can't bring myself to read the full article.

So sad for the families touched by this, it'll no doubt open up a lot of old emotional scars.

Hopefully maybe a bit of closure though if and when some of these poor souls are identified.

Bloody hell that's grim. I can't bring myself to read the full article.

So sad for the families touched by this, it'll no doubt open up a lot of old emotional scars.

Hopefully maybe a bit of closure though if and when some of these poor souls are identified.
There’ll be loads of these unmarked graves in graveyards closest to hospitals, sadly. It was just how things used to be done.

There’ll be loads of these unmarked graves in graveyards closest to hospitals, sadly. It was just how things used to be done.
They're discovered fairly frequently aren't they, especially in very old population centres where stuff has been built on top of older stuff.

Remember about 10 years back when they were doing some work on the Metrolink in Manchester City centre and discovered a load of unmarked graves right beneath, I think Cross Street?

From a social history perspective it's fascinating what's hidden under our feet, but obviously on a human level it's very sad that there's so many people who don't know where their ancestors and loved ones are buried.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.