Match Highlights from Derby at the Swamp 28.03.70

The ref was Roger Kirkpatrick. He was famous for his theatrics and other antics back in the 70s. Old timers often mention him when they moan that there are no 'characters' amongst today's refs.
For reasons best known to himself, Gerald Sinstadt called him Ralph when he was setting the scene at the beginning of his commentary.
Never really think of myself as an old timer but suppose I'm getting there and yes he was not only a **** but a fat bald ****.

Well. That was a dire watch. Don't really see what else it could have been on that pitch. Pretty much all of them were like that by March, though.
Got no memory whatsoever of that guy Sartori.
He ended up as a knife sharpener in Manchester
But not very good

They had beaten us 3 0 a few weeks earlier at the swamp in the FA cup if I remember rightly. Fat lot of good it did them, they lost to Leeds in a semi final replay at Burnden Park if I remember rightly. Carlo Satori was a Manc of Italian parentage who played in Italy at one time I think. They finished the season with nothing, we won the League Cup and ECWC.
"Shit on O'Farell

That was a good watch on so many levels - remembering how football used to be played. Lots of tackles flying in on a mud-patch and on the whole players just gone on with it.

Sinstadt made much at the beginning that United had played two FA Cup semi finals that week - but only mentioned in passing that City had played Derby County the day before - 24hrs rest v United 48! United made 2 changes and City only one from the day before. Can you imagine modern managers accepting that sort of fixture list? (Good Friday/Easter Saturday - quite normal at the time)

Loved kits with no advertising
Love in with United doesn't change - Charlton must have accidentally fallen over in the box because the sainted one doesn't dive (looked like it to me)

Neil Young what a lovely footballer - just had so much time and skill.
Alan Oakes - bossed that midfield - but let Doyle and Bowyer do all the hard running.

Well done on finding.

Well. That was a dire watch. Don't really see what else it could have been on that pitch. Pretty much all of them were like that by March, though.
Got no memory whatsoever of that guy Sartori.
Carlo Sartori was probably the original ' rag boy wonder who ended up doing fcuk all'.
He set the standard for the likes of Macheda, Januzaj, Sancho etc etc to follow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.