Match Thread | Crystal Palace vs Man City (06/04/24)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They’re trying to trap us in midfield for the quick out ball, which finds them 2 on 2 (or worse!).

Haaland and Alvarez have to be more clinical. Rodri unlucky with his shot, but been a horror show defensively.

Their 5-4-1 has held out but broken through numerous times when we have moved the ball quickly. Once we slowed down, the low block was much harder to break.

I see plenty of guff for Alvarez, but I’m struggling to think who has been more productive, more threatening and potentially a game winner…Alvarez or Grealish???

Jack has been dire for ages, with the exception of half a performance in the last game.

Pep will not be telling them how much he loves them and how they’re the best team in the world today!!

Akanji in!!

Rodri has been exposed with this setup, but that is not entirely the reason for his poor play. He has made a lot of poor decisions attempting to play through Palace players, despite having an easy outlet pass, and that back pass to Ortega was a horrid decision.

He’s having probably his worst half of football since his first season with us, but as I said earlier, if there was a time to have it, this is the game.

Alvarez is our weak link currently. Even his pressing has been an issue, as he has continually overrun the player he is closing down, allowing them to play past him, initiating a counter. I think Pep wanted his energy, and was hoping to play him in to form, but it is just not working right now.

I can only assume the wind is playing a part in some of our passing and crossing, which apart from Kev, has been pretty poor.

Speaking of Kev, he looks up for this (and Madrid)—he is playing near his full ability. Unfortunately for him (and us), no one else seems to be at his wavelength, so most of his intricate passes and moves have been wasted by his teammates being caught on their heels.

Haaland still struggling to get back to his raiding Viking best. The miss when Kev put him through was not great, but it happens when your confidence is fairly low. I think he is doing what Pep is asking him to do, he just needs to keep working and get more chances so he can put one away, his confidence will come back then. Would be ideal for that to happen before the midweek trip to Madrid.

Special mention to Ortega, who is making a case for being cooler than even Eddie. Perhaps could have done better for Palace’s goal, but he was in a lose-lose situation due to multiple uncharacteristic lapses from Stones. John needs to put that behind him and just concentrate on his game (seemed to be slightly affected by it for the rest of the half based on his more conservative play).

I thought, apart from Kev, Rico was the only player that actually stood out as playing well, with most others looking just ok. Hoping to see a bit more urgency and intensity from them in the second half.

I think Rodri and Stones will refocus at the half, Kev will have a word with a few (including Bobb) about anticipating his passes rather than waiting for him to do something, Pep will make the changes needed to give Rodri some support, and we’ll go on to win by our trademarked scoreline.

Come on City!

Great goal from Kev and a sublime pass through to Erling should have had an assist but after that, too many silly flicks and badly timed passes from him, passes pinged at people when he had time to put his foot on the ball and look up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.