Match Thread | Liverpool vs Man City (10/03/24)

Status
Not open for further replies.
WT Live // Image by Kampfwagenchan_

Strange performance thus far.

Decent in some ways, poor in others. Aggressive to start, passive, score a goal, then passive again, create a few chances but not really look like scoring, then back to passivity.

Haaland doesn’t look fully fit to me, Kev has been a bit off, Foden is struggling to stay upright, and Ake is being targeted.

I defended Pep’s choice to play Alvarez—and still think the thought process makes sense—but he has been really sloppy, unnecessarily giving away the ball many times, including at the end there, and has been leaving Ake on his own.

I am not sure any player has been great, with all making odd choices that have caused us problems. Especially when you consider Liverpool have been generally poor across the pitch, yet has had a few good chances to score.

The conditions no doubt are playing a part (and it looks a bit like the Liverpool groundsman has made the pitch a bog to curtail our normal pass-and-move play and favour Liverpool’s lob-and-run tactics). But I am not sure they explain all of it.

The upside to this is that we easily have a gear or two to go up and Pep is usually very good at making that happen in the second half.

It will be interesting to see how long he chooses to persist with the current setup.

It’s a tough one, because I am not sure Kovacic for Alvarez, for example, will have the impact many thought it would before the match. The way Liverpool are playing they’ll just bypass him entirely and the conditions make retaining the ball in the middle very difficult—even Rodri has struggled with that under the press. And the Spaniard being on a yellow makes things even more difficult.

I am also not sure Doku is right for this match, especially on the mudfield-in-the-making, on that already stretched left side.

These are obviously the matches that Pep makes the case for being the best ever manager, and let’s hope he adds an entry in that ledger tonight!

I think I may still be on for my 3-1 to the blues score prediction, just without the customary comeback.

Come on City!

I'd take Alvarez off,kovacic on and put Bernado wide. I'm not picking on Alvarez, because everyone has given the ball away a lot this half.
Instead of analysing why their defence because of the shots on target we've had,sly sports are concentrating on them. Perhaps we might score a couple more this half.

Its been simply a good game, very good game against strong Liverpool at Anfield.

You say Alvarez off at half time, but you understand usually only as far as whats on your plate. Yeah, kill the confidence of the guy, who needs him in three title races.

Pep wont take him off at half time probably, mainly because of that. Let him play 15 min, we are up, hes been part of this team. If things not improve, then Doku/Kovacic in around 60 min.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.