Mate lost his key..

Pigeonho said:
Uncle Wally One Ball said:
On the subject of cars, the service light on my diesel Renault Megane coupe has been in for last 2 weeks and the beeping and illuminated spanner has pissed me off. I have given it this morning to a mechanic we know for oil, filters etc service. It has done 67k, and he just told me that the cambelt should be changed at 70-72k on such diesels and if that snaps im fecked. He's just convinced me to get it changed since he's servicing it today anyway. Is he having my pants down or is that common sense and thankyou and well done mr mechanic?
He should have ran it through diagnostics, and that would have told him what the light was coming on for. The light is just to warn you the computer has picked up on something, and you then have a mechanic plug it into a diagnostics machine, which will tell him what the beef is.
He's doing that too but the thing on the dash has been saying 'service due'

Pigeonho said:
On the subject of cars, the service light on my diesel Renault Megane coupe has been in for last 2 weeks and the beeping and illuminated spanner has pissed me off. I have given it this morning to a mechanic we know for oil, filters etc service. It has done 67k, and he just told me that the cambelt should be changed at 70-72k on such diesels and if that snaps im fecked. He's just convinced me to get it changed since he's servicing it today anyway. Is he having my pants down or is that common sense and thankyou and well done mr mechanic?
He should have ran it through diagnostics, and that would have told him what the light was coming on for. The light is just to warn you the computer has picked up on something, and you then have a mechanic plug it into a diagnostics machine, which will tell him what the beef is.

...take it to church on sunday...

Pigeonho said:
Are right well that's self-explanatory, but I wouldn't fork out for a cambelt change just because your mate says so. Unless you've had it from new, it may have had one before.

No its not been done before, I checked when I bought it 4 months ago. In fact the bloke in garage I bought it off said it hasnt been changed because on that car it doesnt need doing til 100k, which seemed a lot. This mechanic says 70k. Ive done 67k

No its not been done before, I checked when I bought it 4 months ago. In fact the bloke in garage I bought it off said it hasnt been changed because on that car it doesnt need doing til 100k, which seemed a lot. This mechanic says 70k. Ive done 67k
How much is he charging you? Bit of a difference isn't it, 70k compared to 100k

100000 miles sounds a lot. Potential engine killer apparently. Quick Google search says 72000 miles petrol or diesel. Check with him if there are associated bits to change ie tensioners. I replaced the timing belt on a golf a few years back only to have the tensioner fail on the motorway which buggered the engine. Planned preventative maintenance. Probably worth doing imo.

Pigeonho said:

you can turn that off with a bit of info and a laptop. The timing belt advice seems about right too me.

I assume you have the manual for your car. Read it and it should tell you recommended service intervals and belt changes. I would get it changed before the recommended mileage as it's just not worth the risk of fecking up the engine and as said above, make sure the tensioners are replaced as well as the belt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.