Mathematicians, what must be done to ensure Top 4?

Even if Spurs win their game in hand, we'll be a good way ahead of them on GD. Therefore, simply match their points total from now until season's end.

3852172832_ef91b377e8.jpg

Spurs currently have seven games left. Let's say that they'll get a number of points from those games that we'll refer to as 'x'.

Barring something very bizarre happening with goal difference, from our six games we need (x - 3) points.

I'm not a mathematician, but I think that's probably the best way of expressing the mathematics of it.

moomba said:
I'm presuming we're not going to get overtaken on goal difference, so to use baseball terminology we currently have a magic number of 18.

That number will reduce whenever we gain points (1 for a draw, 3 for a win) or Spurs drop points (2 for a draw, 3 for a win). When the magic number reaches zero, we are guaranteed to finish ahead of them.

Beat Spurs and the magic number will drop by 6 straight away, so thats obviously a key one.
Never known it to be called a "magic number", but that's how I work it out aswell.

An Arsenal win tomorrow is game changing.

We are city, why bother with statistics, the greatest hurdle of being the red mancs has been overcome, the world is our oyster and we will be more committed now to ensure a good league finish

So stop the maths, and watch and be amazed

We simply have to match thier results at the moment.

If Arsenal can take the 3 points on wednesday then it would be fantastic.

I see Spurs beating Arsenal at home though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.