Maths Question

You've paid out £140 for a £120 hotel, you've lost £20. Stop being such an indecisive ****.

Can anyone help me work this question out, been bugging me all morning..

Basically I booked Hotel 'A' at a cost of £130, however I changed my mind and was refunded £110.

I then booked Hotel 'B' at a cost of £120, so I had to put another £10 on top of the £110 refund I received from Hotel 'A'.

Now I'm trying to work out whether I've lost £20 or £30 from not booking Hotel 'B' first time around.

My understanding is that in total I've paid £140 for a £120 hotel, so £20 lost..

But I can also see the point that I lost £20 on my refund from Hotel 'A' plus the extra £10 I had to pay towards the cost of Hotel 'B', so I've lost £30 in total..

Any ideas?

Its straightforward if you look at it this way and the only way you should.

Had you booked Hotel B from the outset you would have paid 120 the going rate and and been 120 out of pocket so to speak for the use of the room.

The fact you changed your mind has no bearing on your subsequent decision to book Hotel B and paid the going rate.

The two decisions are mutually exclusive events and as such the twenty pounds you lost for changing your mind is what you have lost so to speak.

Answer 20 pounds.

Ten pounds.

I suggest a little role play exercise with £200 in tenners and two friends representing hotels A and B.

Pay hotel A £130. You have £70 left. Get the £110 refund and you now have £180.

Now pay Hotel B £120. You have £60 left.

£70 - £60 is £10.

Your loss because of the change from hotel A to B is a mere £10.

You lost £20 on the deal with hotel A, but you recouped £10 of that by booking a room at hotel B that was £10 cheaper than the one at hotel A.

Its straightforward if you look at it this way and the only way you should.

Had you booked Hotel B from the outset you would have paid 120 the going rate and and been 120 out of pocket so to speak for the use of the room.

The fact you changed your mind has no bearing on your subsequent decision to book Hotel B and paid the going rate.

The two decisions are mutually exclusive events and as such the twenty pounds you lost for changing your mind is what you have lost so to speak.

Answer 20 pounds.

THIS

How anyone can think different makes me think the govt are right about education.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.