Mayweather vs. Canelo Thread

bluemc1 said:
NipHolmes said:
tweetstreet said:
The above is correct. Floyd is up in the top ten for best defensive fighter of all time but not best fighter of all time. Although he hasn't been tested to the level we need to see in order to ascertain whether he could adjust accordingly if for example he came up a cagey defensive fighter who would make him work offensively or someone who could walk him down effectively and cut off the ring (de la Hoya came close and a year or 2 earlier we may have seen a different result).

Your Armstrongs, Ali's and sugar rays all had this ability to change and fight more than one fight in a match, maybe it's because floyd hasn't been tested, the opposition isn't there or he's simply that good defensively but I'm not convinced he has that get out of jail card in his pocket if For example his legs have given a bit on Saturday and Canelo is cutting the ring off and working him the whole round what floyd will come back with as I don't think he has the power to deter Canelo.

For the record any of the 4 kings would have been nightmare fights for floyd IMO. Fighting in that era he would almost certainly not be unbeaten.

Agree. I think Floyd beats Hagler. Hearn poses biggest test as he could take Floyds head clean off with a shot, his range and height is a big problem for Floyd. Duran wouldn't have been deterred at all and posed the most danger to Floyd. Leonard would have been the best talent matchup.

A fighter who would have made an excellent opponent for Floyd is Paul Williams. Shame that fight never happened, just before he was to fight Canelo the poor bastard fell off a motorbike. That would have been a FOTY candidate 100%

i would agree that he would of beat Hagler but i think his biggest threat would of been Leonard, ok Hearns could land that big shot but i think if they fought 10 times Floyd wins most of them, for me though leonard was just as quick hit harder and was more aggressive so would take the rounds on the scorecards, Mayweather v Duran at lightweight is 65-35 in Durans favour but he is my all time favourite so i might be biased,

Watch this.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oSb21Vx5rE[/youtube]

That is a Duran that had a chin infamous for being as hard as his fists. Floyd is a SFW that's blown up to this weight. Hearn is a monster compared. His height and reach would have been really awkward for Floyd as Hearn could fight at range boxing behind the jab looking to set up the big right. Floyd could not take one of these shots, Hearn was a p4p KO artist. I think his style is a technical nightmare for Floyd. Wide feet, wild lateral head movement, hard to set traps against and a banger.

Duran is one of the best ever yet Heanr made him his woman in this fight. Mosley had Floyd on queer street and Hearn hits so much harder it's untrue. Look how he fold Duran twice. Some whack in those hooks!

For me Leonard was the best. I prefer Duran though. Leonard was a perfect fighter and boxer imo.

I'm more excited about Garcia V Matthyse tbh, that has potential to be an absolute thriller! As for mayweather, I think Canelo starts too slow, Floyd builds up a lead and Canelo isn't slick enough to Knock him out. Hope I'm wrong, I don't dislike Mayweather as much as most but would like to see how he takes a defeat.

NipHolmes said:
bluemc1 said:
NipHolmes said:
Agree. I think Floyd beats Hagler. Hearn poses biggest test as he could take Floyds head clean off with a shot, his range and height is a big problem for Floyd. Duran wouldn't have been deterred at all and posed the most danger to Floyd. Leonard would have been the best talent matchup.

A fighter who would have made an excellent opponent for Floyd is Paul Williams. Shame that fight never happened, just before he was to fight Canelo the poor bastard fell off a motorbike. That would have been a FOTY candidate 100%

i would agree that he would of beat Hagler but i think his biggest threat would of been Leonard, ok Hearns could land that big shot but i think if they fought 10 times Floyd wins most of them, for me though leonard was just as quick hit harder and was more aggressive so would take the rounds on the scorecards, Mayweather v Duran at lightweight is 65-35 in Durans favour but he is my all time favourite so i might be biased,

Watch this.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oSb21Vx5rE[/youtube]

That is a Duran that had a chin infamous for being as hard as his fists. Floyd is a SFW that's blown up to this weight. Hearn is a monster compared. His height and reach would have been really awkward for Floyd as Hearn could fight at range boxing behind the jab looking to set up the big right. Floyd could not take one of these shots, Hearn was a p4p KO artist. I think his style is a technical nightmare for Floyd. Wide feet, wild lateral head movement, hard to set traps against and a banger.

Duran is one of the best ever yet Heanr made him his woman in this fight. Mosley had Floyd on queer street and Hearn hits so much harder it's untrue. Look how he fold Duran twice. Some whack in those hooks!

For me Leonard was the best. I prefer Duran though. Leonard was a perfect fighter and boxer imo.

yeah I've seen that fight many times and never enjoy watching it, Duran was well past his best then, had ballooned and shed weight many many times and reading Durans book he never really believed he could win, yes i agree Hearns lands THAT punch on anyone and its game over (saying that Hearns said he hit Hagler with his best) Yes Floyd started as a SFW so i try and judge it as P4P but its also my opinion Floyd would beat Hearns anyway having come up, its just hes always found a way to win beating rangy fighters slick boxers and brawlers, Floyd for me showed great powers of recovery v Mosley and didnt go down, Mosley does pack a punch has a good KO % and is the only person to stop Margarito ( i think )
I just dont feel the Duran fight is a good comparison for making a case for him beating Floyd, like me saying if Iran Barkley could land on Hearns chin what would someone with Floyds speed and accuracy do ?
but i do agree about leonard as good as they come, all about opinions though i know, cheers

oman0115 said:
I'm more excited about Garcia V Matthyse tbh, that has potential to be an absolute thriller! As for mayweather, I think Canelo starts too slow, Floyd builds up a lead and Canelo isn't slick enough to Knock him out. Hope I'm wrong, I don't dislike Mayweather as much as most but would like to see how he takes a defeat.
mattysse vs garcia will be exciting as long as it lasts. its hard to look past a mattysse ko since garcias defence isnt that great.

canelo is really the last big threat for mayweather unless he does something crazy and goes to middleweight to fight ggg.<br /><br />-- Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:14 pm --<br /><br />
tweetstreet said:
One of the best of this era yes one of the best of all time not quite. He wouldn't be in my top 10.

He wins this fight though, Canelo needs to do so much more in this fight than he's done before, he needs to bring Hatton stamina/work rate, with de la Hoya ring smarts not sure he can throw 100 punches a round and even if he can he needs to be doing so with the ring cut off.
he doesnt need to throw 100 punches a round. judah gave mayweather all he could handle for 4 rounds and he was throwing around 30 punches a round. its all about timing and canelo does have very good timing and a very varried offence. he will give mayweather a very tough fight.

Davs 19 said:
TGR said:
Mayweather is just a supremely gifted fighter. He will win this one inside the distance.

The best pound for pounder and has been for years and one of, if not the best of all time.
That is blasphemous.

I'm more excited for Garcia/Matthyse as someone said above.

Angel Garcia has been comedy as usual.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04S2asgGKEk[/youtube]

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.