MCFC Analytics

Damocles

Administrator
Is anybody else getting the dataset?

We could actually pool our resources as a community and come up with something interesting if we tried. Anybody interested?

The Lite data comes in CSV format and I'll be writing a parser, perhaps as as a webpage, to view the data a bit cleaner and with more relevance.

The Advanced dataset is the thing that I'm really interested in and comes in XML format. The site says this:

"This data is a time coded feed that lists all player action events within the game with a player, team, event type, minute and second for each action, together with the x/y/z co-ordinates for each event"

We could do some really interesting things with that sort of granularity, in particularly the x/y/z co-ordinates of each event as an expression of the usage of space. You need to submit a project brief to Gavin Fleig and OptaPro though beforehand and get it all checked off so that's probably a bit more distant than the Lite dataset.

Either way, this is one of those times when having a really big community can help us as we can get enough interested people together to make something that a single individual couldn't.

Anybody thinking about it?

I got the "Lite" one today, will check it later.

planning to compare few midfielders from the top teams, might share it here.

Damocles said:
Is anybody else getting the dataset?

We could actually pool our resources as a community and come up with something interesting if we tried. Anybody interested?

The Lite data comes in CSV format and I'll be writing a parser, perhaps as as a webpage, to view the data a bit cleaner and with more relevance.

The Advanced dataset is the thing that I'm really interested in and comes in XML format. The site says this:

"This data is a time coded feed that lists all player action events within the game with a player, team, event type, minute and second for each action, together with the x/y/z co-ordinates for each event"

We could do some really interesting things with that sort of granularity, in particularly the x/y/z co-ordinates of each event as an expression of the usage of space. You need to submit a project brief to Gavin Fleig and OptaPro though beforehand and get it all checked off so that's probably a bit more distant than the Lite dataset.

Either way, this is one of those times when having a really big community can help us as we can get enough interested people together to make something that a single individual couldn't.

Anybody thinking about it?

I was thinking about what time to have tea if I'm honest.

It sounds interesting all the same.

Disappointed in Opta if I'm being perfectly honest.

4. You grant Opta a perpetual and irrevocable licence to use, licence and distribute any and all works, metrics, algorithms and published materials created or derived using the Opta Data, and shall provide Opta with a copy of the same on request.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Home/The%20Club/MCFC%20Analytics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Home/The%20Club/MCFC%20Analytics</a>

So instead of making another Bill James, like the actual Analytics people are hoping for, any work that is done will belong to Opta making the entire thing nothing but free labour.

1.618034 said:
Great idea.

Just need some interesting hypotheses to test.

Will the data be Mac G5 compatible?

yes mate, the one I downloaded had a mac folder as well, didn't check it tho.

Akai said:
1.618034 said:
Great idea.

Just need some interesting hypotheses to test.

Will the data be Mac G5 compatible?

yes mate, the one I downloaded had a mac folder as well, didn't check it tho.

I'll have a look. But can't actually find the link...?

If you could post where it is I'd be grateful.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfc.co.uk/The-Club/MCFC-Analytics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcfc.co.uk/The-Club/MCFC-Analytics</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.