MCFC Analytics

Damocles said:
Anybody recieved the advanced package yet or doing anything interesting with the data?
Yes we've used it to correctly spell received ;-)

I've added the refs into the dataset - ref activity for city games only

[bigimg]http://i45.tinypic.com/25jvbtg.jpg[/bigimg]

remember this is league games only before anyone shouts about Vinnie's red from Foy

I suppose the good thing about all this is that if someone says "Silva was shit on Sunday" it is a proven fact, rather than some pissed up late night rant from someone!

There should be a sticky after match thread whereby the geeks among you can study this data and give an informed opinion as to who was, indeed, shite on the day!!

MCFC-alan88 said:
Disappointed in Opta if I'm being perfectly honest.

4. You grant Opta a perpetual and irrevocable licence to use, licence and distribute any and all works, metrics, algorithms and published materials created or derived using the Opta Data, and shall provide Opta with a copy of the same on request.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Home/The%20Club/MCFC%20Analytics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Home/The%20Club/MCFC%20Analytics</a>

So instead of making another Bill James, like the actual Analytics people are hoping for, any work that is done will belong to Opta making the entire thing nothing but free labour.
As opposed to you exploiting the fruits of their labour in collating the data for free?

Damocles said:
City have more goals from substitutes than any team in the league. In fact, we're 30% more than our closest rivals of Everton and around 50% ahead of Manchester United.

Proportionally however, 16.4% of our goals came from substitutes putting us fourth in the league behind Moyes' Everton on a massive 20% (1 in every 5 goals comes from a sub!), Lambert's Norwich with 17.4%, and Hughes' QPR with a close 17%. United had a measley 8% of their goals from substitutes.

The lowest was Fulham, who only managed a single goal all year from a sub, or 2.3% of their total goals.

The interesting question is what exactly this tells us about the teams. Do they have good squads? Are they more determined? Do they leave it late? Is it a boon for their managers? Is it a sign that their managers were found out? Ideally, I can cross reference this later with exactly what situation the teams were in when the sub goals were scored. Of course, some players might have gone off for fitness and injury reasons instead of a tactical change. More data is needed before analysis but that Everton stat is pretty shocking.
Most of the "big teams" of Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, United and Arsenal are floating in the 8-10% range rather than our 16.4%.

EDIT: By the way, if anybody has any questions that they would like investigating statistically, then I'd be happy to have a go for you.

I think the stat for Fulham could be they are not bringing on a "forward" but rather trying to see the game out or some such?

Just a quick note here.

This is starting to gain some traction as a project and I was wondering if anybody out there would like me to release some code to help them out?

You would have to have some knowledge of how to use it, but I can help you get the Excel file into a database on your machine, help you setup some preliminary tables and help you use some data visualisation tools?

I'm planing on posting the PHP code that I used to stick it in the DB, some of the DB schema and the code to export the data from one gigantic table into smaller tables?

I'm also looking at doing a blog series of "Beginners Guide to Statistical Analysis in Football". The idea is that as I'm pretty much a novice at this type of statistical analysis with this many data point, I'd blog in detail about what I've tried day by day to hopefully help others to learn/avoid my mistakes.

Is there much interest in this? Getting involved in the analytics community has shocked me a bit to how many don't have programming skills and it's a place whereby I might be able to help.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.