Media coverage 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delaney is now basically saying he wants to hold City to account for the human rights records of its owners but the same principles don’t apply to him or his employers - utter hypocrite.

As one who worked in media, and still works with media, let me tell you: when reporters decide they aren't reporters, but rather editors who write for the Opinion section, their careers are done.

As one who worked in media, and still works with media, let me tell you: when reporters decide they aren't reporters, but rather editors who write for the Opinion section, their careers are done.

Quoted it before, but as one political journalist here put it: "you can be a campaigner, or you can be a journalist. You can't be both".

I wonder how the media will spin it once the dippers or scum get taken over by Arab money ? I guess they will be the good type of Arabic money .
Probably the same response to the dippers spending over 200m on Allison, Van Dyke and Keita. Good business. Nothing wrong in that. Not helping to inflate the market at all.

I actually haven't got a problem with journalists questioning us about FFP and Abu Dhabi sports washing etc. What I detest though it their attitude and approach to doing so and I also can't shake off the feeling that some of the journalists are only concerned with human rights because it can be used to attack City, instead of the nature of it.

Let's just imagine that Sheikh Mansour had enough and sold City tomorrow. Would these journalists then carry on with their crusades and attack clubs for taking sponsorship money of companies with links to questionable human rights?

There are Chinese, Thai, American and Russian owners in English football who all have very close links to countries with poor human rights records. But I'm yet to see any other side receive the same level of vitriol as City has. I understand that City have much stronger links to the UAE Royal Family than say Man United do to Saudi Arabia. Yet both City and United are guilty of taking what the media call 'oil money' from countries with poor human rights records. You would think mentioning how 'blood money' being rife in PL football would also hammer the message home but somehow I'm yet to see this.

Another ****ish trick was that question directed to Pep yesterday. Forget the timing of the question, the fact that he has insinuated that Pep is taking illegal/dodgy payments from elsewhere is nonsense and without foundation. All of the charges we are being investigated for are from long before Pep's arrival. That question yesterday was about as relevant as someone asking Dan Roan if he touches kids because he works for the BBC.

Finally, and the point that pisses me off the most. I've read a lot about how us City fans are somehow complicit in what goes on in the Middle-East because we support our club. I've also heard accusations that we defend the UAE's human rights records because we call out the media and attend the Etihad. However, it is the media, and those alone, who have decided to band the UAE and City as a sole entity not us fans.

I can cheer KDB without laughing as some backwards law in Abu Dhabi. I can criticise the way woman are treated in countries in the Middle East without calling Pep a bald fraud. Yet the insinuation that all City fans are in the wrong for supporting their club is something that i will call the media out for. I supported City long before Sheikh Mansour came along and will support the club long after he doesn't.

I wear Nike footwear but it doesn't mean I support child labour. I had a Huawei phone, doesn't mean I support the death penalty and censorship. I eat meat but it doesn't mean that I support animal cruelty. Yet somehow supporting City means I support human right atrocities.

Excellent piece.
Like you, I'm not against fair(ish) comment, especially if the opinion lodged is backed up with a reasoned basis. I also think that some reactions are OTT, especially when a journalist tries irony (which is an easy way to get misunderstood.

Slating City fans for supporting and contuinuing to support CIty based on some UAE political actions is the part which changes things, and is a nailed-on certainty to get angry responses (and for some, probably what they want). Ignoring the fact that the link between fans and clubs, and that it isn't a matter of switching to another club, is disingenuous.

I wonder if any of these Journalists who are constantly battering City have ever been to and stayed in Abu Dhabi?

If they are so concerned about a Human Rights there, none of them would have stepped foot into the country for any reason whatsoever.

The biggest problem is here.
He can dislike UAE all he wants but he is saying he can be happy with the source of his wages.

So he has no ethical problem when it is about his wages. So why is he sensitive when same regimes pay other people and views it as a negative development ?
Reminds me of the Arsenal benefitting from Emirates money and even having their stadium named after the Middle East Emirate but vomitting City UAE money.

I read in some rag this morning that we’ve actually ruined the romance of the FA Cup because were too good!! Couldn’t believe what I was seeing

The biggest problem is here.
He can dislike UAE all he wants but he is saying he can be happy with the source of his wages.

So he has no ethical problem when it is about his wages. So why is he sensitive when same regimes pay other people and views it as a negative development ?
Reminds me of the Arsenal benefitting from Emirates money and even having their stadium named after the Middle East Emirate but vomitting City UAE money.

That was the bit that got me. Saying he's comfortable with the source of his income is astonishing given his holier than thou rant. He's literally being paid by Russian and Saudi owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.