Media Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, different investors could have different motivations for getting involved in football. What's going on for Silverlake isn't necessarily the same as for ADUG. But as I said here, Wilson's article doesn't explain what it is that he's complaining about, which I think is true for everything I've read on the subject.
I am sure Sheikh Mansour wants to make money and like most other businesses in that region he needs to diversify his portfolio away from fossil fuels. Silverlake also want to make money for their investors.
The concept of sportswashing is just absurd. For example Dubai is trying to build its brand as a tourist destination and so far has been successful. To do that it has to promote itself sometimes by sponsoring sport events. The idea that it is doing that to hide its human rights abuses is ridiculous.
I actually believe that so called "sportswashing" is just a fabricated concept. There are a hell of a lot of people making money out of the "human rights industry." There are a lot of wealthy people at the top of the overseas charities sector and some of them don't care a jot about human rights. I am not criticising the genuine voluntary workers but I am cynical.

Last edited:
Where the fuck do these no mark twitterer, media types spring from ?
I'm no aficionado on journalists and suchlike so it may just be me, but I've never even heard of 99% of them, they make the odd 'controversial' statement then disappear, is it really just a desperate ploy to get attention and get their 15 minutes of fame in the hope it leads somewhere or something else ?
If so that's one of the saddest, most needy things I've ever come across, and I've been on POF !

Third Liverpool FC store opens in Dubai​

https://gulfnews.com/sport/uae-sport/third-liverpool-fc-store-opens-in-dubai-1.72839736

Football_17395115003_large.jpg

This Means More Money.

Trio of legends land in Dubai to kick off LFC World​

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/lfc-world/301526-gerrard-mcallister-mcmanaman-dubai-lfc-world

Steven Gerrard, Gary McAllister and Steve McManaman landed in Dubai on Thursday for the latest edition of LFC World presented by Standard Chartered.

thumb_64707_default_news_size_5.jpeg

This Means More Money.

LFC announce International Academy for UAE​

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/193763-lfc-announce-international-academy-for-uae

image.jpg

This Means More Money.

This Means More Sweaty Jockstraps.

I don’t really think you can blame the usual suspects for the decline of the likes of Red Star. That was always going to happen when Yugoslavia split into seven different countries with seven different Leagues. Similarly with the break up of the USSR into 15 different counties. Croatia still seem to be able to produce great footballers but few, if any, of the best will play in the Croatian League.

Also the rush of money to the five biggest European Leagues has messed up club teams from Holland, Portugal, Scotland, etc., who used to be able to win European Trophies. The likes of Porto, Ajax, and Benfica have really suffered.

yeah I agree with that but you know the point, top European clubs didn’t necessarily come from 4 countries.

There is no such thing as "sportswashing." There is no evidence that investing money in football boosts your reputation. In fact the opposite is true because people are usually jealous and suspicious of money. Do you think California-based Silverlake invested £389m in City because they are worried about their reputation? Is that why they are developing the UK's biggest indoor arena next door to the Etihad? There is not a single line in that article by Jonathan Wilson that stands up to any scrutiny. He is a published writer but has zero journalistic skills. He's another bluffer and the Guardian is full of them.
If Sheikh Mansour had sat on his money and not bought us, meaning there was no linkage between us, Abu Dhabi and the PL, how many of these journalists would be writing this shit? None, is the most likely answer.

Therefore this notion of 'sportswashing' is clearly nonsense, a point I've made in KOTK articles I've written. The opposite is true, in that the relationship has opened a window into the UAE and it's quite possible that change will happen because of the spotlight being placed on undesirable social and economic issues.

But at the same time, it also shows up the patronising attitude of outlets like the Guardian to other societies. While it supposedly celebrates diversity and cultural difference, it only celebrates those if these are followed in the context of Western views and norms. If not, it supports a form of cultural imperialism. "Accept our beliefs or else".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.