Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, in 40 years I've never watched an English team other than City and thought "Wow, they're exciting to watch". I've seen exciting games involving other teams, quite a lot, in fact, but never as a general feature of a team's performances over more than one game. The point being, I'm not invested in other clubs. Unless United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc lose, I think their games are boring and wouldn't expect fans of those clubs to enjoy our games unless we lose.

And that's what these bloggers are really saying. "Unless City lose, it's boring to me because I don't support them". Fine for fans, but for anyone purporting to evidence any real knowledge of football, it just comes across as peevish infantilism.

Just heard some bellend on Hawksbee and Jacobs saying that nobody .. apart from City fans... will look back at our team with any fondness... unlike previous teams like the Rags !!!

We're just a machine and it's boring apparently
If previous rag teams means those since red nose left, I think we all look back at them with extreme fondness. I wonder what they think of Chelsea throwing caution to the wind against us in the last two matches. Or is that our fault as well?

Just heard some bellend on Hawksbee and Jacobs saying that nobody .. apart from City fans... will look back at our team with any fondness... unlike previous teams like the Rags !!!

Yep heard the same, total bellend

It’s the “shit sandwich” school of social interaction. Usually a cynical and long discredited management tool but it’s increasingly used in the media. Especially where City are concerned
Give someone some criticism/negative feedback, ie the message you really want to get across (the shit) - but top and tail it with some praise to soften the blow (the sandwich bread)
So we now get the same old articles from the WhatsApp wankers, all following that format:

“City are a brilliant team (BREAD)
“Its only because they are a bunch of boring, state owned, human rights abusing, sportwashing FFP cheats with unlimited money and a 75 man squad of experienced world class internationals so nobody can compete, they are ruining football and something must be done to stop them (SHIT)
“But City are a brilliant team” (BREAD)

So transparent and intellectually dishonest it’s laughable. They think nobody can see what they are doing

Brilliant.

It describes Rory Smith particularly to a tee. His MO is always the same...

Rewriting history now are they? Nobody looks back at the Rags teams with fondness other than their fans!

The thing is, in 40 years I've never watched an English team other than City and thought "Wow, they're exciting to watch". I've seen exciting games involving other teams, quite a lot, in fact, but never as a general feature of a team's performances over more than one game. The point being, I'm not invested in other clubs. Unless United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc lose, I think their games are boring and wouldn't expect fans of those clubs to enjoy our games unless we lose.

And that's what these bloggers are really saying. "Unless City lose, it's boring to me because I don't support them". Fine for fans, but for anyone purporting to evidence any real knowledge of football, it just comes across as peevish infantilism.
I remember the very late 70’s and early 80’s, supporting any other English team in Europe (other than Trafford), forest, Liverpool, Villa,Ipswich, Everton, arsenal… Till Liverpool finally literally killed that childhood innocence at heysel - that was a hard watch. The rise of the PL cartel clubs which came shortly after Europe let us back in, never ignited the passion of a European night, and it was finally extinguished with the advent of the ‘champions’ league format.

the loss to Chelsea in last years final was meh rather than anything. The only reason for winning would be to get a part monkey of our back (‘oh you’ve got to win it X times…’), and if it is anything , then just to cement, without any comeback ability, that Pep is the greatest manager to manage a team in England.

When Liverpool were winning first division and European titles they were the most tedious club in the country to watch, yet very few in the media called them out for it. When Forest battered them in Europe there seemed to be a mass celebration throughout the country, and that was a time when many fans wanted all British teams to beat European opposition. Their football was genuinely boring and if the media aren't impressed by us they should look up a few old Liverpool videos.

This Irish Times article is a pile of tapir shit even for what passes as standard for sports journalism over there. It’s monumentally badly argued.

I really, really want our fellows to wear “Is This All There Is?” t-shirts under their kits and show them off if we score v Soton. At the same time, I’m not sure the journo in question deserves the attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.