Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it was entirely Taylor's fault. The philosophy originated from the FA under the leadership of Bert Millichip in the early 80's.

Basically Millichip instigated a review of how to make English football more entertaining, which led to the assumption 'More goals = more entertainment'.

They then looked at how most goals were scored and found that in the vast majority of cases there was only 3 passes or less made prior to one being scored, and also that a significant amount of goals came from errors/mistakes at the back.

This is led to the long ball philosophy of lumping it into the opponents half as quickly as possible as it fitted with the '3 pass' thing whilst also potentially minimising errors.

On this basis they changed the whole FA/ England coaching set-up to incorporate this system. Early proponents of it were people like Big Sam etc, also Kendall's Everton system of the full backs lumping it to Graeme Sharp to knock it down for the likes of Sheedy etc

So basically the whole english coaching system was changed to emulate Wimbledon, whilst the upcoming european teams like Denmark, Norway and Sweden started to coach the possession based system of the successful Liverpool team.

This is what set English football back years.
Step forward Charles 'The Winning Formula' Hughes..

The Loughborough University qualified PE teacher, who never played the game at professional levels, influenced English football theory for many years.. and as you say, was encouraged by Millichip to the detriment of the English game for generations.

My, how we used to stand on the terraces at Maine Road and marvel at how the likes of, say, Dennis Tueart and Peter Barnes would occupy those 'Positions Of Maximum Opportunity' and how the other great players of the day would follow Hughes' advice, never making more than three passes before launching the ball forwards as fast and as far up the pitch as they possibly could..

And meanwhile, those pesky Germans and Frenchies and Argies and Brazilians and Spaniards were wasting their time teaching their players and kids how to kill the ball, retain possession and other useless tactical gubbins like that, as well as increasing their fitness levels while reducing their booze'n'fags intake.. What did they know about anything?!

Proper football, that was in England then! Not like this boring stuff we get served up at The Etihad every other week nowadays..!

Co commentator Lee Dixon pre game on American TV ,Saturday “ I was born in Manchester and was a City fan as a boy , but today I really really want a Chelsea win, one team being so far ahead is not good for football.
Then Spent the game explaining how City were there for the taking and defensively shaky. & how Chelsea created ALL the best chances.
Pretty much a carbon copy of his behavior when we played Arsenal, although he does have a professional allegiance to them.

Didn't his dad play for us? Fair enough he won his trophies under the dishonest stewardship of the disgraced bung taker george graham, but I'm sure he wanted himself silly when the never guilty had scant domestic rivals?

Him and hinchcliff are utterly servile nonentities to the istorrricc cunts.

The Loughborough University qualified PE teacher, who never played the game at professional levels, influenced English football theory for many years.. and as you say, was encouraged by Millichip to the detriment of the English game for generations.

My, how we used to stand on the terraces at Maine Road and marvel at how the likes of, say, Dennis Tueart and Peter Barnes would occupy those 'Positions Of Maximum Opportunity' and how the other great players of the day would follow Hughes' advice, never making more than three passes before launching the ball forwards as fast and as far up the pitch as they possibly could..

And meanwhile, those pesky Germans and Frenchies and Argies and Brazilians and Spaniards were wasting their time teaching their players and kids how to kill the ball, retain possession and other useless tactical gubbins like that, as well as increasing their fitness levels while reducing their booze'n'fags intake.. What did they know about anything?!

Proper football, that was in England then! Not like this boring stuff we get served up at The Etihad every other week nowadays..!
i didn't know it came from Charles Hughes.

I just remember watching a FA made coaching video early 80's explaining it all. It pretty much killed off any potential football career of mine, as i was originally a very small central defender who then got shunted to RB, then RW/inside right then CF based purely on me being 'really nippy' over 20-30 yards.

Also with english football, the Everton system that de-throned Liverpool was seen as justification for it all. Then european ban didn't help also, as we didn't get to see how detrimental a system it was. And by the time the english teams exile was over, the damage had been well and truly done.

Just heard some bellend on Hawksbee and Jacobs saying that nobody .. apart from City fans... will look back at our team with any fondness... unlike previous teams like the Rags !!!

We're just a machine and it's boring apparently

Amazing how jealousy translates into fantasy with some bitter and myopic individuals

Didn't his dad play for us? Fair enough he won his trophies under the dishonest stewardship of the disgraced bung taker george graham, but I'm sure he wanted himself silly when the never guilty had scant domestic rivals?

Him and hinchcliff are utterly servile nonentities to the istorrricc cunts.
His Dad, Roy, was a goalkeeper at City in the 50's. Third choice behind Bert Trautman (who Roy idolised) and Steve Fleet. Was in the butchery trade before becoming a very successful businessman producing marinades for the meat industry.

His Dad, Roy, was a goalkeeper at City in the 50's. Third choice behind Bert Trautman (who Roy idolised) and Steve Fleet. Was in the butchery trade before becoming a very successful businessman producing marinades for the meat industry.

His old man was rich enough that he paid his sons wages at one of his clubs - I think it was Bury - so that Lee didn't get released - in hindsight a good investment.

Co commentator Lee Dixon pre game on American TV ,Saturday “ I was born in Manchester and was a City fan as a boy , but today I really really want a Chelsea win, one team being so far ahead is not good for football.
Then Spent the game explaining how City were there for the taking and defensively shaky. & how Chelsea created ALL the best chances.
Pretty much a carbon copy of his behavior when we played Arsenal, although he does have a professional allegiance to them.

When Arsenal went the whole season unbeaten, that was fine.

When utd won so many titles in the first 15 years plus of the premier league, that was fine.

Chelsea outspending everyone and winning back to back titles, that was fine.

Only now is it a problem.

His old man was rich enough that he paid his sons wages at one of his clubs - I think it was Bury - so that Lee didn't get released - in hindsight a good investment.
I can imagine that. Lee got released several times early on and it wasn't until Burnley (I think) and then Stoke where he excelled and was POTS two years running before Arsenal signed him. He's a nice enough guy, bright, good sense of humour but, somewhat understandably when you're reasonably well known, careful about what he says and to whom.

I did the fa badges in the 80s, As a failed footballer i had become a PE teacher. ( failed at that too )

I passed the badges quite easily but argued with the Coaches at every level.The philosophy was clearly shite. Players in England are so much better due to the influx of foreign professionals .

The get a shot away within four passes was a particular crap Hughes theory. I still have his book today, it should make money as an antique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.