Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sort of propaganda is just how you want to see public money being spent during a national financial crisis! But as we are always being told the BBC is great value for (our) money. The online sports coverage is out of control with no management scrutiny being applied in Salford. This sort of shite can't be justified. I would feel the same way if they were publishing propaganda about City.
The beeeb sports "editor" is dickhead Dan roan. Comes across as at best xenophobic or at worst anti Arab/ anti Asian virtue signalling ****.

Stone is a laughable nonentity riotously put in his place every week by Pep, but there are many vermin in their sports and regional news. As you say actually researching/ sourcing a story seems to have been binned in favour of outright disinformation about us/ smoke blowing for the redshirts.

The beeeb sports "editor" is dickhead Dan roan. Comes across as at best xenophobic or at worst anti Arab/ anti Asian virtue signalling ****.

Stone is a laughable nonentity riotously put in his place every week by Pep, but there are many vermin in their sports and regional news. As you say actually researching/ sourcing a story seems to have been binned in favour of outright disinformation about us/ smoke blowing for the redshirts.
The real problem is in the online team, especially the social media team. I don't believe it is the job of the BBC to engage in fans' banter or re-tweet PR articles from Liverpool FC or MUFC just to chase online clicks. There does not seem to be any editorial scrutiny of the material they are publishing. Whether you like it or not re-tweeting content is an endorsment of it. Taxpayers should not be funding this activity because it is not in the public interest.

So MacGeehan thinks he some expert political analyst. I read the article referenced in his second point, and their definition of kleptocracy is a perfect description of Russia. There are some similarities with UAE states, but they can in no way be accurately described as kleptocracies, as MacGeehan States in his third point.

The article, which he probably spent months compiling, is not worth the paper it isn't written on. Unfortunately, it won't stop everyone else now taking it as the truth.

McGeehan is the go to "human rights expert" and widely quoted by the usual suspects.

rabin has questioned his credentials and motivations several times which led to an unsavioury episdoe and rabin being accused of being a UAE bot.

If you've not seen previously there is a great flavour here:

From the article:

City are one of the three richest teams in soccer. They are owned by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the deputy Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and a member of the royal family of Abu Dhabi. The other two wealthiest clubs are also Arab owned. Paris Saint-Germain are the property of Qatar Sports Investment and Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund has an 80% stake in Newcastle United.

The City takeover in 2008 heralded a new era for soccer. Mansour was not a boyhood fan or even an investor looking for returns. What he wanted was to use soccer to enhance Abu Dhabi’s reputation.

There are two ways of looking at this. The more generous interpretation is that it was an implementation of “soft power.” A less favourable analysis is that this is an exercise in ‘sportswashing,’ an attempt to use the glamour of the game to deflect from unsavoury aspects of life in the Middle East.

Thought he was doing well for a moment and not claiming we are state owned. Didn't have to wait long for the BS --this ongoing fallacy that Mansour isn't an investor looking for returns beggars belief and one that so many of the whats app group run with. His mucker Rory Smith says exactly the same thing that it's 100% about sportswashing.
If indeed sheikh mansour wished to hide or deflect from supposedly unsavoury acts taking place on the Middle East why the fuck buy one of the most famous clubs in England and bring yourself to the public attention the major of whom and I’ll be honest including me had never heard of until buying city.

Why put yourself in the public eye even more than usual. Why bring yourself to the public conscious so that uae alleged wrong doings can be aired even more than they would.

Doesn’t make sense.

From the article:

City are one of the three richest teams in soccer. They are owned by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the deputy Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and a member of the royal family of Abu Dhabi. The other two wealthiest clubs are also Arab owned. Paris Saint-Germain are the property of Qatar Sports Investment and Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund has an 80% stake in Newcastle United.

The City takeover in 2008 heralded a new era for soccer. Mansour was not a boyhood fan or even an investor looking for returns. What he wanted was to use soccer to enhance Abu Dhabi’s reputation.

There are two ways of looking at this. The more generous interpretation is that it was an implementation of “soft power.” A less favourable analysis is that this is an exercise in ‘sportswashing,’ an attempt to use the glamour of the game to deflect from unsavoury aspects of life in the Middle East.

Thought he was doing well for a moment and not claiming we are state owned. Didn't have to wait long for the BS --this ongoing fallacy that Mansour isn't an investor looking for returns beggars belief and one that so many of the whats app group run with. His mucker Rory Smith says exactly the same thing that it's 100% about sportswashing.
Even if you forget about Sheikh Mansour. The whole point of any Sovereign Wealth Fund is to invest money to generate profits. Every state in the whole Gulf region is desperate to develop new revenue streams to replace their income from dwindlling fossil fuels. The whole point is to diversify their wealth. That's why governnments in places like the UAE are amongst the biggest investors in renewable energy.
The concept of "sportswashing" is a fake construct created by human rights groups to generate publicity. Does anyone seriously believe that the Saudis, for example, invest all their wealth as some sort of deflection tactic for human rights abuses. Is this why the US or China invests fund overseas. What a pile of bollocks.
Soft power is a different discussion. Every country in the world is interested in developing its influence for the good of its own citizens. That's why we have embassies all over the world. Is this a bad thing?

Last edited:
The great irony is that NBC's match presentation and analysis is lightyears ahead of Sly's, which plumbs new depths. BT is exactly the same if not worse.
I really enjoyed Amazon's coverage last night though. It was a refreshing change because it concentrated on football instead of tribalism and political point-scoring. It was also positive. SKY always seem to be looking for negative angles on any story. They are stuck in the 1990s with their fixation on LFC and MUFC.
Meanwhile I see that Apple have just paid a record sum to cover the MLS. I think SKY's days are numbered. The tech giants will wipe them out with a better and cheaper product and more innovative coverage.

The UAE is surely one of the more liberal Arab states. (OK it's not a Western democracy.) I wouldn't particularly want to live there, but if I had to live in an Arab state, which would be better? More liberal? More stable?

Anyone would think the UK was a perfect society, put in place by God as a sort of shining light to the Gentiles. What right have we to impose our standards (and imperfect systems) on people whose culture is entirely different? It isn't 1890 and we are not in the business of sending gunboats the 'civilise' other peoples.

So MacGeehan thinks he some expert political analyst. I read the article referenced in his second point, and their definition of kleptocracy is a perfect description of Russia. There are some similarities with UAE states, but they can in no way be accurately described as kleptocracies, as MacGeehan States in his third point.

The article, which he probably spent months compiling, is not worth the paper it isn't written on. Unfortunately, it won't stop everyone else now taking it as the truth.
bd12f68c92f5876e4fc43f8468dff93a.jpg
Care to explain how he is wrong ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.