Melbourne City FC Thread

Couple hours before kick off. Traditionally this is a game we would spectacularly fail.

I think we would be good value. Brandan to get a brace.

Hope my next post is a positive one.

Couple hours before kick off. Traditionally this is a game we would spectacularly fail.

I think we would be good value. Brandan to get a brace.

Hope my next post is a positive one.
How are the two city lads playing ,have they proved to be good signings ?

So with Aussie City seemingly starting to do well in the A-League...are all the fans of Heart that were moaning about the Sheikh taking over their shite team coming round to the fact it was ultimately a good thing?

Some of them are OK with it, but then those ones have been on-board with CFG since CFG started finding them decent players like Fornaroli last year.

However, based off their forum which I go on, there are still a few fans who simply weren't willing to accept it from the start and I've not seen any of them return.

Of course, I await a genuine native like Heartman to come in and correct me if needed.

Some of them are OK with it, but then those ones have been on-board with CFG since CFG started finding them decent players like Fornaroli last year.

However, based off their forum which I go on, there are still a few fans who simply weren't willing to accept it from the start and I've not seen any of them return.

Of course, I await a genuine native like Heartman to come in and correct me if needed.
Any link to their forums please fella?

How are the two city lads playing ,have they proved to be good signings ?

Luke Brattan is arguably the best midfielder in the league. He's filled the void left by Mooy quite well. Seeing how well Mooy is playing for Huddersfield, it's interesting to see how Brattan didn't really make much of an impact when he was with Bolton last year. His form for Melbourne has been that good that he's been named in the 30 man provisional socceroos squad, which usually doesn't tend to call up many Australian based player, 5 out of the 30 are Australian based, and probably most of them will get cut.

Caceres has been decent as well, however will struggle to start many games due to the wealth of better options in my opinion. That's not to say he's a bad player, just that the other options are better. Melbourne have a lot of depth in the final third, defensively look more suspect though.

So with Aussie City seemingly starting to do well in the A-League...are all the fans of Heart that were moaning about the Sheikh taking over their shite team coming round to the fact it was ultimately a good thing?

Very difficult to answer without the metrics of the club season ticket renewals. The basic numbers show that since CFG took ownership numbers have increased, although since inception the club has had continual growth apart from the Villa debacle.(which is another long drawn discussion for another time.)

Total memberships sold per season 13/14, 7307. 14/15 11759, 15/16 9298, 16/17 as of 29/10 11291.

I'm not sure it really matters who actually own the club it's more so what changes they make. I think most were ok with the club changing owners and alot of that was due to the new owners being probably unrivaled in world sport in regards to resources. I think where many got concerned was to the colours and to a lesser degree the name change. Also another area for skepticism was what was the intentions and plans of the new owners. My own opinion is that CFG have clearly demonstrated that they here for the long haul and over time will succeed in creating a product/club that will be a worlds best. I think they underestimated the Melbourne market and the League in the first 2 seasons and have corrected things. We are a long way from where we should/could be but the signs and trends are really positive.

Weather previous Heart supporters left because of the takeover not sure, but what I think is clear that fewer Manchester City supporters in Melbourne and to lesser degree Australia have jumped on to support the newly rebranded Melbourne City. I was expecting the terraces to filled with more pro Manchester supporters but it's not that evident. There is still is major problem down here in getting local support, as too many Eurosnobs that with all the EPL availability are not interested in the local game. (We just need Aguero for a season)

We are into the Cup Final our first chance of silverware and are playing at home so this will be a good snapshot of support and how far the club has come.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.