Melbourne City FC Thread

Re: MCFC buy Melbourne Heart FC (merged)

petrusha said:
Does the Heart 'keeper always wear that kit or is it a nod to the new ownership? :)
I think we have worn the blue for the last couple of seasons. At least two, because Bolton (retired keeper) has worn it.

ksk_47 said:
Hi guys. I am a Heart fan and have been with them since their very first trial match. Have not had a chance to go through this thread yet, but very interested to see how the news of our club being bought out has been received.

Any questions fire away.

Barm or Muffin

Manc in London said:
Gutted with the result. I really do dislike anything to do with the city of Adelaide.

I hope to see the Heart fans stick around. Maybe Ric could produce some dedicated sub forums for the other City teams ;) We could end up with a behemoth of a forum.

harsh on Adelaide mate

morleyswife said:
ksk_47 said:
Hi guys. I am a Heart fan and have been with them since their very first trial match. Have not had a chance to go through this thread yet, but very interested to see how the news of our club being bought out has been received.

Any questions fire away.

Barm or Muffin

Feel like a cock now. Should have read further

Its a fu king BARM

ksk_47 said:

Any questions fire away.
Yeah. I have a couple of questions actually.

I get that the teams play in something like their state colours - NSW sky blue, Victoria red & white, etc - but if Melbourne Victory was founded before Melbourne Heart, why did they choose dark blue and leave red & white for a second team?

Secondly, as Victory is four years older than Heart, why did people start supporting the newcomer Heart when there was already a football team in Melbourne that they could have supported?

Manc in London said:
Gutted with the result. I really do dislike anything to do with the city of Adelaide.

I hope to see the Heart fans stick around. Maybe Ric could produce some dedicated sub forums for the other City teams ;) We could end up with a behemoth of a forum.
Yes please!

Colours of Victoria are dark blue (navy) and white. Its the colours of Melbourne that are red and white although to be fair I lived there for six years and didnt know that until this week.

Plaything of the gods said:
ksk_47 said:

Any questions fire away.

I get that the teams play in something like their state colours - NSW sky blue, Victoria red & white, etc - but if Melbourne Victory was founded before Melbourne Heart, why did they choose dark blue and leave red & white for a second team?

Secondly, as Victory is four years older than Heart, why did people start supporting the newcomer Heart when there was already a football team in Melbourne that they could have supported?

Manc in London said:

Yes please!

Victories colours pretty much came down to cheesy marketing and the fact they were the only team in Victoria at the time and people associate Victoria with navy. Same as Sydney with the NSW light blue. Adelaide United is the same. South Australias colours are Red&Yellow&blue. Although a few of the other teams have original colours.

In terms of why people supported heart, everyone has different reasons. Some just didn't like Victories style and arrogance, others supported NSL teams (the old comp) and didn;t like their teams weren't put in the new comp, others are people that moved to australia after Victory was made and thought they might as well support the new team. There's lots of different reasons. Our fans are a real mixed bag of reasons.

Plaything of the gods said:
ksk_47 said:

Any questions fire away.

Manc in London said:

Yes please!
Victory had 5 years up as the aleague had a single team per city model. Not sure why they chose navy blue tBH.

The aleague was created after the old NSL (national soccer league) was disbanded a few years before the aleague started to do away with supposed racial and cultural boundaries. Each club was essentially a [insert country here] club.

So the second club was hoped to be adopted by those that didn't like/relate to Victory or those dormant NSL fans.

I personally was one of those many fans that never followed the game before having taken up football when heart started. There are a few people that jumped the bandwagon but has been proven that it is a very small minority.

Like most cross city derbies, opposing colors were chosen.
As a point of difference, this is why the colour is so important. It differentiates us from our 'bully' big brothers.

Just thinking now i am wondering which club is going to be the parent club which one gets the most attention from the owners in other words i hope the don't neglect us to concentrate on the other clubs and take the eye of the ball.

moomba said:
Colours of Victoria are dark blue (navy) and white. Its the colours of Melbourne that are red and white although to be fair I lived there for six years and didnt know that until this week.
I didn't either haha. Victorian all my life. Didn't even know melbourne had a flag until I started following heart. The teams in melbourne (mainly AFL) are normally associated with suburbs (although these days fans come from all over and often come from who your family supports etc ) in the city or they represent the whole of victoria (cricket etc)
Because of size we don't have heaps and heaps of Professional teams and the chance to have relegation in sports so they often represent a large area.
(that's for any UK person that was wondering. Moomba if you live here you probably already know all that ;) )

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.