Memories as a kid

simonk said:
i8therags said:
playing football all summer with the same flat thick plastic ball that was like a brick,with my mates cos we couldn;t afford a "casey"[2 of us lost our toe nails,,ouch ,summer 76]same summer, using all my dinner money on a mondey to buy sh1t loads of ice pops,which melted quick,then I "drank" them[why I didn;t just buy a can of coke I don;t know].Got up one crimbo full of excitement,the "Flight Deck game" would be waiting,been looking forward to it for months,looked superb on TV,{what a load of sh1te it was]him on top gear confirmed this....3 day week,power cuts,candles,..kids TV on bbc1 and itv only between 4ish and 5-30 ish monday to friday,early AM on a saturday,pre-school watch with mother mid day.Further back in time as an infant-Coal fires and coal bunkers,copper back boiler and hot water that boiled a lot.Mum and next door shuving all they had left in the veg department and cooking it all together to make somthing for 2 family;s.If we were too warm Dad would take burning coal to neibours and vice -verca.Pyjamas,slippers,hot water bottles.Grandads home brew[tasted like poridge mixed with whisky].crimbo was one big party.,,Fire ball xl5,thunderbirds,joe 90,stingray,captain scarlet[indestructable],,,marine boy[took some gum to breath under water],trumpton,camberwick green,pogles wood.Marbles-single colour,multi colour,single dobber,then there was the multi colour dobber.

saw that last night
the etch a sketch stuff they did was amazing. I did not think it possible
yes its a repeat--good memories-think he;s about my age-wife wouldn;t let me watch again.And you are right about the etch a sketch

I remember as wear casual clothes to school day in about 1998. I was a bit late to school, so everyone was already lined up in assembly area. I turned the corner and all I could see were cargo pants. I went to an all boys school, and 95% of the school had cargo pants on.

This stuff is taking me back.

Playing tennis on the road with wooden or plastic rackets. Dad bringing home pop and crisps from the pub. Pools man coming round. Chalk for pitches, or a stone, either way. Mambos!!!!! Totally forgotten about them. All the TV shows of course (and the BBC Test Card) from Magic Roundabout to Chigley to The Banana Splits and all the others mentioned on here. Seeing the space shuttle flying piggy back over Oldham one day in the mid '80s. Power cuts and dad cooking beans over a couple of candles in his old mess-tin during the 74(?) miners strike. Putting coins in the electricity meter. I loved doing that job. Marbles. Draughts and getting kingy. Dock leaves and nettles. Playing football and eating from a chunk of Lancashire or Cheshire cheese in my hand as I was running about. Fountain pens. Dandelion and Burdock (lovely). Going to the Yorkshire Bank every two weeks to put my oddy in and having my own little bank book.

blah, blah, blah :-<

Making me happy-sad.

i was impressed by the new buses,could'nt believe you got on at the front AND it had doors on, not only that no bus conductor, weird.loved the periscope though.

Some great memories here for us to smile about.

How about taking the empty pop bottles back to the shop for the penny refunds...Crackerjack on telly with Eamonn Andrews and Playbox with Tony Hart...launch of BBC2 in 1964...growing my first teenage moustache so I'd look older...putting on a very deep voice and standing on tip-toes trying to pass as an adult to get in 'X' movies at the local cinema...my first serious date when she brought a mate and I didn't...

Getting a Sunday morning paper-round which always paid good money compared to Monday-Saturday

Hand me down clothes, youngest of three boys.
Me mam cutting me hair, nits.
Middleton Pictures, Saturday afternoon matinee, Chico the Rainmaker.
Saturday morning disco at Middleton Civic.
Sitting around a radio listening to Piccadily for the football, dreading the Oh No when a goal had been conceeded, praying it werent City, then jumping around like a looney when they went Its a Goal, over to Maine Road.
Alpine pop getting delivered on a Friday afternoon.
First kiss, followed by first titting up.
Going out on your bike at 8.30 and not going home till teatime.
Home made skate board and boggies, anything with wheels and a piece of wood and a few nails.
Rally-ho, hide & seek, bulldog, apple raiding, budding, wembley, 3 & in, headers & volleys, french cricket, river jumping, swings from bridges or lamp posts.
Dinky pies, 10p mix up, highland toffee, rainbow sherbert, bom boms, cinder toffee, black jacks & fruit salad, jubleys, ice pops.
Happy days.

red 2 hats said:
Hand me down clothes, youngest of three boys.
Me mam cutting me hair, nits.
Middleton Pictures, Saturday afternoon matinee, Chico the Rainmaker.
Saturday morning disco at Middleton Civic.
Sitting around a radio listening to Piccadily for the football, dreading the Oh No when a goal had been conceeded, praying it werent City, then jumping around like a looney when they went Its a Goal, over to Maine Road.
Alpine pop getting delivered on a Friday afternoon.
First kiss, followed by first titting up.
Going out on your bike at 8.30 and not going home till teatime.
Home made skate board and boggies, anything with wheels and a piece of wood and a few nails.
Rally-ho, hide & seek, bulldog, apple raiding, budding, wembley, 3 & in, headers & volleys, french cricket, river jumping, swings from bridges or lamp posts.
Dinky pies, 10p mix up, highland toffee, rainbow sherbert, bom boms, cinder toffee, black jacks & fruit salad, jubleys, ice pops.
Happy days.
pretty much this except not in middleton, especially the radio bit, when it said 'its a goal!' youd be buzzing your tits off then it would say, 'lets go over to moss rose', youd be fucking gutted haha

Knocking-on for your mates, knowone had mobiles; playing football with a 99p plastic 'windy' ball until someone got a 'leather casey' for christmas or their birthday, then we'd lose the fucker and have to go back to a 'windy'; making bases; robbing penny sweets (high-end criminal), chomps, and them drinks you turned upside down and bit a hole in; massive bike rides that felt like you'd gone to the other side of the country, but you' only gone about 2 miles; 'french-kissing' girls; being home from playing out before the street lamps came on, then making excuses why you're late - "the street lamps didn't come on where i was playing out, honest".

You just can't beat a bit of reminiscing, wish i was still a kid!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.