Memories of the Kippax

exiledbaguleyblue said:
earliest about '67 as a 6 year old staring at a bloke with a massive scab where his ear should have been.

£35 season tickets.

using tippex on the vouchers at the back of the season ticket to get extra derby tickets

In at 1pm to sit on "our barrier", then being tall enough to stand in front of our barrier.

We've got a rattle that'll get on your nerves.

Leaving early to run round to the main stand to get on the pitch @Luton game, only to get back in and they'd scored "confronting" Luton players on the pitch, running back to the kippax to have a go at the luton fans in the corner and getting kicked up the arse by a copper in front of the luton fans.

Charlton, singing we love you charlton we do

Arther albason

12th Nov 1975 beating scum 4-0, the night king Colin was crippled.(having bought rothmans king size as it was a big match)

Boro in the semi later that year (and before that game as a 15 year old getting run by the bastards in the alley's at the back of the Platt Lane)

Mate being hit on the head by a lump of brick v scum, and before we could react another lad asking"can i borrow your brick" as he picked it up and threw it back at the scum bastards,

down against liverpool

Colin Bell v Newcastle (still brings goosebumps)

Wigan semi in playoffs - singing Wembley all the way back to town

Years in the birch villa "never seeing a kick off"

eating oranges injected with vodka first game we couldnt drink in sight of the pitch

Everton FA cup replay (with an Everton fan)

Beating Leeds 4-0, pissed off at first 2 goals as it looked like we'd given scum the title then thinking fuck it and celebrating next 2 - making amends for it at scumland a few days later

the buzz of seeing the floodlights on for night matches as the bus trundled down princess parkway

singing boring boring Arsenal when they were 3 or 4 up in the first 20 mins
kicking the gate,in the alley, at the back of the kippax to wind the mad dog up

the "surges"

first sight of the pitch as we walked through the tunnel

Grand National day, everything would go quiet as the winners were read out

fucking cuntanar

Pearce missing the pen that would have given us a record number of goals

Lee coming back playing for Derby

beating AC Milan (3? goals in the last 4 mins?)

West Ham (?) trying to take the Kippax by coming up the middle stairs

Swales out

The bogs

the sheer madness every time we scored

the shared humour every game

seeing the same faces around you every game and spotting them in pubs and on terraces at away matches

young Gary Owen having a go at Mike Doyle (v Wolves) in front of the kippax

Gerry Francis (?) getting shit over wifes extra curricula activities

the sheer sadness of lost youth the last game on the kippax and having to relocate to the north stand

not the same sadness at the last game in the new kippax

taking my boy when he was 3 (new kippax)

The crushes on the way out after the game

All my kids having a teddy bear called kippax

Experiences never to be repeated

brilliant mate, made the hairs on the back of neck stand up. Nice one.

Realising at the age of nine, in 1974, that "Covonia kills coughs", and if i had any spare steel it had to go to Trumanns. The men in white coats selling drinks and pies along the front wall from a wooden tray. Progressing further back as i got older, including inside the girders that held up the roof, about 20 steps up. Night matches when the main stand looked like a forest full of glow bugs when people "lit up". Being in awe of the "faces" and the fans with their Wrangler jackets covered in sewn on City badges. Standing on the hill at the back of the Kippax looking right, to watch the action at the fence. Getting the No 22 bus from Stretford to the Princess pub, just at the time the away coaches were emptying, knowing that they were heading for the back of the Kippax where we were queueing to get in. Further back to about 3/4 of the way up, just right of the penalty area, getting to know the lads around you, then going away with them on the train, and later by car. ( not as good though ). So many memorable matches, good and bad, players, good and bad, but always the humour. Franny's return, the King in the 4-0, Boro 4-0, Bournemouth 3-3, Margetson v QPR, Huddersfield 10-1, the 5-1, Phillips v Charlton, Kinkladze, Lakey v Leicester, 4000 for big Joe's testemonial, European nights v Juventus, AC Milan, standard Liege and Borussia Monchengladbach. Swales out, Liam Gallagher doing the "Manc" walk over to the Pompey fans and giving them the V's. Gene Kelly stand, Piccadilly radio corner when away fans relocated to the Platt Lane. The pigeon dangling from the roof, "Mr Banks". Police walking round to the tune of de re de re, de re de re, dededere dededere. "We all piss in a red and white pot", the memories are endless, and for all that COMS is shiny, i hope that we can one day call it home, but for me the last day at Maine Road will always be one of my saddest. For those who are too young to have been there, crank up the volume at our matches. In these days of corporate fans, we can easily become the supporters that all other fans wish they were. To all others that have joined in on this post, thanks, great to think back, but im thinking forward too, CTID.

IOWBlue said:
Realising at the age of nine, in 1974, that "Covonia kills coughs", and if i had any spare steel it had to go to Trumanns. The men in white coats selling drinks and pies along the front wall from a wooden tray. Progressing further back as i got older, including inside the girders that held up the roof, about 20 steps up. Night matches when the main stand looked like a forest full of glow bugs when people "lit up". Being in awe of the "faces" and the fans with their Wrangler jackets covered in sewn on City badges. Standing on the hill at the back of the Kippax looking right, to watch the action at the fence. Getting the No 22 bus from Stretford to the Princess pub, just at the time the away coaches were emptying, knowing that they were heading for the back of the Kippax where we were queueing to get in. Further back to about 3/4 of the way up, just right of the penalty area, getting to know the lads around you, then going away with them on the train, and later by car. ( not as good though ). So many memorable matches, good and bad, players, good and bad, but always the humour. Franny's return, the King in the 4-0, Boro 4-0, Bournemouth 3-3, Margetson v QPR, Huddersfield 10-1, the 5-1, Phillips v Charlton, Kinkladze, Lakey v Leicester, 4000 for big Joe's testemonial, European nights v Juventus, AC Milan, standard Liege and Borussia Monchengladbach. Swales out, Liam Gallagher doing the "Manc" walk over to the Pompey fans and giving them the V's. Gene Kelly stand, Piccadilly radio corner when away fans relocated to the Platt Lane. The pigeon dangling from the roof, "Mr Banks". Police walking round to the tune of de re de re, de re de re, dededere dededere. "We all piss in a red and white pot", the memories are endless, and for all that COMS is shiny, i hope that we can one day call it home, but for me the last day at Maine Road will always be one of my saddest. For those who are too young to have been there, crank up the volume at our matches. In these days of corporate fans, we can easily become the supporters that all other fans wish they were. To all others that have joined in on this post, thanks, great to think back, but im thinking forward too, CTID.
Loved all the above,you only missed chucking snowballs at the linesmen

Yes, lots of memories i can relate to here. One for me was a Boxing day match against Leeds, maybe '75 or '76 when still a schoolboy i went down the steps at half-time to the refreshments. I tryed every entry to get back in but the Kippax was so packed i missed most of the second half until people started to leave. We lost 1-0.

My best memory was the thrashing of United 5 - 1 why because my brother in law was with me and he was a big red. His face was a picture. He did n't know what to do or say he just stood there and took it.
Im one of the lucky ones who has a kippax turnstyle in my garage. Floods of memories come back to me everytime I look at it.

As a kid, falling backwards from the white wall at the front, onto the running track and landing on my head after the madness which greeted Bobby McDonald making it 3-1 in the 81 FA Cup quarter-final replay against Everton. A big fat rozzer of the old school picked me up, gave me a shake and shouted 'We're going to Wembley this year, lad' before casually plonking me back on the wall like a fisherman chucking one back in because it was too small.

The stunned silence after an Ian Bishop-inspired Bournemouth incredibly pulled it back to 3-3 and apparently blowing our chances of promotion. Five minutes after the final whistle, people were still milling about on the terraces or sitting with their heads in their hands in disbelief. It was the inflatables season and I found myself booting a discarded, deflated banana on the ground which suddenly hit me as a symbol of how the season had turned out.
Then suddenly a big roar, people hugging and bouncing up and down around the obligitory fella with a radio. Mike Newell had scored a late, late goal for Leicester against Palace, meaning we were back in the box seat.
The mood changed from a funeral to a fiesta in seconds. A massive chant of 'City! City!' as we stumbled through the big tunnel into the sun. We only needed a draw at Bradford. But that's another story.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.