Micah Richards Critique

A A

Anonymous

Following on from a post in the General Forum regarding right backs for England, I thought it might be worth throwing on this part of the forum too...

I believe Micah is the best English Right Back currently. I think under Mancini he has come on in leaps and bounds. His positional awarenes has improved immensely, his attitude has improved immeasurably and he has bags of strength and speed as we already knew. He does not need the protection of a winger, although like any right back clearly appreciates having more options available as an outlet. His passing and crossing (again, in my opinion) have also improved a level or two. Overall, a solid defender, solid wing back.

So, can any of you experts point out what it is that is missing from his game that first Capello and now Hodgson saw that I can't?

I want to be clear, I am not looking for anyone to slag Capello off, slag Hodgson off or even slag Micah off (if there are those who don't think Micah is as good as I believe). I'm looking for real evidence of what it is he is lacking that prevents him getting into the England team.

I personally dont know, he's also good in the air and if people tell me one more time that Johnson is better attacking than Richards i'll go insane. Johnson had 1 goal and 0 assists or something in the league last season compared to Richard's 6 assists and 1 goal, so any omission shouldnt be based on attacking capabilities.

And he's probably the best right back in defense, part of the league's best defence.

BlueTG said:
I personally dont know, he's also good in the air and if people tell me one more time that Johnson is better attacking than Richards i'll go insane. Johnson had 1 goal and 0 assists or something in the league last season compared to Richard's 6 assists and 1 goal, so any omission shouldnt be based on attacking capabilities.

And he's probably the best right back in defense, part of the league's best defence.
I think that's it though, I think Hodgson looks at that and thinks he will go forward too many times, or that his game is based on going forward in the set up he plays for his club. I am baffled though as he was one of the outstanding players in the league last season.

When Micah is fully on his game he is the best right back around both attacking and defensively.But he does switch off at times even if only for a second or so but it makes the difference at the top level between conceding a goal and not. I think the goal at Swansea was an example that Mancini wasnt happy about.

Micah has been growing in the full back role steadily for 5 years or so now.He understands the positional aspects much better,he seems to know when to overlap and how to overlap much better and his final ball is also much better.I think all aspects of his game have steadily improved over 5 years or so and certainly not just since Mancini arrived

Some of the other contenders are quite good but I would say have more weaknesses than Micah but I don't think their manager focusses on the concentration bit like ours has done.

I know Kyle Walker is injured, but is he a better RB than Richards, or is it simply that he scored a wonder goal last season?

NLF - good point about his concentration level. Maybe that's it? However having watched Johnson these last 3 games his concetration levels appear lower than my 9yr old lad's!

Micah is only lacking the fact that he is not called Glenn Johnson. In every other way he is superior.

I suspect given that it was only a few weeks before the tournament, Hodgson took players that he had some familiarity with, that's the only explanation I can think of for Johnson, Downing and Henderson...

No idea why Capello didn't like him though

In my opinion, it's because Glenn Johnson has more experience and games for England than Micah. He's also been round the ' set up ' more where as Micah has been in and out ( more out than in ). Kyle Walker plays for a London team.

That's the only ' reasons ' I can think of as Micah is far better than either of them..............

Johnson is ordinary and Walker, whilst having a good season, is not that good...........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.