Middle East Conflict (merged)

Zeid Al-Hussein is a Jordanian. Jordan, as it happens, is one of the better states in the area (although that's not setting the bar very high) but there are still human rights issues there, primarily the expulsion and deportation of Syrian refugees. Jordan, however, was the state that conducted an internal war against the Palestinians in 1970/71, when it attacked PLO refugee camps and enclaves in the major cities including Amman. Many thousands were killed and many of the remaining PLO members and their families were expelled. That gave rise to the Black September movement but was welcomed by most Jordanians as they'd become thoroughly fed up of the Palestinians acting as a state within a state and threatening the stability of the Hashemite monarchy.

Jordan also controlled the West Bank from 1948 to 1967 yet rather than declare an independent Palestinian state, as they could have easily done, they annexed it. Suddenly, when it wasn't under their control, they want an independent Palestinian state there.

I think the Israeli actions are probably unnecessarily harsh in some cases but I have every sympathy with them shooting people attempting to breach the border fence or endangering the life of their troops. And it's another very sad illustration of my belief that the extremists on both sides need and feed off each other. Netanyahu knew what Hamas would do and Hamas knew what the response would be. Keeps both sides happy as they can continue pointing the finger at each other.

As the title of this thread refers to the UNHRC, does anyone think that this organisation gives Israel an excuse to ignore it due to its blatant anti Israel bias? The fact that the Israel/Palestine situation is the only specific issue to have a permanent place on the agenda of its meetings and more than half of its resolutions since its foundation in 2006 have been anti Israel means that it lacks any credibility. It would have more impact as an international organisation if it could demonstrate some balance. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Israel Palestine situation are, there are no shortage of human rights abuses going on elsewhere in the world that are given absolutely no attention at all by this lot. I think that Netanyahu’s government is a huge obstacle to peace and this organisation gives it the excuse it needs to ignore a lot of international opinion.

As the title of this thread refers to the UNHRC, does anyone think that this organisation gives Israel an excuse to ignore it due to its blatant anti Israel bias? The fact that the Israel/Palestine situation is the only specific issue to have a permanent place on the agenda of its meetings and more than half of its resolutions since its foundation in 2006 have been anti Israel means that it lacks any credibility. It would have more impact as an international organisation if it could demonstrate some balance. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Israel Palestine situation are, there are no shortage of human rights abuses going on elsewhere in the world that are given absolutely no attention at all by this lot. I think that Netanyahu’s government is a huge obstacle to peace and this organisation gives it the excuse it needs to ignore a lot of international opinion.
Indeed. Israel occupies a tiny sliver of land surrounded by some of the worst human rights abusers on the planet,
places where women are kept in abject subjugation, Gay people murdered because of who they are, brutal theocracies
with democracy non existent.
Never a squeak about these.

Indeed. Israel occupies a tiny sliver of land surrounded by some of the worst human rights abusers on the planet,
places where women are kept in abject subjugation, Gay people murdered because of who they are, brutal theocracies
with democracy non existent.
Never a squeak about these.
But this thread is abt Israel and the state murdering Palistainians. I was told to start a thread on this as to not derail others.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.