Monogamy, Relationships, Temptation,

To use a golf analogy some posters on here have a morality that reckon it is alright to move tie ball to a better lie if no one will see you do it.

Wrong on so many levels!

Bigga said:
denislawsbackheel said:
To use a golf analogy some posters on here have a morality that reckon it is alright to move tie ball to a better lie if no one will see you do it.

Wrong on so many levels!

Ah, the old 'black and white' rule...

Tiger Woods - when 18 holes aren't enough..<br /><br />-- Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:53 pm --<br /><br />
oldestswinger said:
Us blokes have a dick and a brain and only enough blood to power them one at a time :)

but some women aren't any slouches at this either, and I've not seen any of them handicapped by a penis

des hardi said:
i d live by... whats good for the goose is good for the gander. as long as your partner agrees.... i d hate to live "in lies"

yes, and I've felt the same way too, but my thinking and philosophy has changed over the years.

also, you'll see many a women's magazine article purporting that unfaithful partners should deny events to their partners, as it's the 'bigger' thing to do. Seriously! They say it's simply a cop out to run home and confess all right after the fact, to 'clear the air' for the offender and absolve them through their 'honesty' but to hurt their companion, and possibly a lot worse. They have a point, although I don't believe there are any hard and fast rules as you simply cannot generalise on such issues.

---

here's something else I read on a recent flight, in a book by Chin-Ning Chu that I'm currently dipping in and out of in between other things:-

'A Holy Man's Sacred Vow'

A holy man was meditating beneath a tree at the crossing of two roads. His meditation was interrupted by a young man running frantically down the road towards him.

"Help me" the young man pleaded, "A man has wrongly accused me of stealing. He is pursuing me with a great crowd of people. If they catch me they will chop off my hands"

The young man climbed the tree beneath which the sage had been meditating and hid himself in the branches. "Please don't tell them where I am hiding" he begged.

The holy man saw with the clear vision of a saint that the young man was telling him the truth. The lad was not a thief. A few moments later, the crowd of villagers approached and the leader asked "Have you seen a young man run by here?"

Many years earlier, the holy man had taken a vow to always speak the truth, so he said that he had.

"Where did he go?" the leader asked.

The holy man did not want to betray the innocent young man, but his vow was sacred to him. He pointed up into the tree. The villagers dragged the young man out of the tree and chopped off his hands.

When the holy man died and stood before judgment he was condemned for his behaviour in regard to the unfortunate young man.

"But - " he protested, "I had made a holy vow to speak only the truth. I was bound to act as I did"

"On that day" came the reply, "you loved vanity more than virtue. It was not for virtue's sake that you delivered the innocent man over to his persecutors, but to preserve a vain image of yourself as a virtuous person".

- and the moral of the story according to Chin-Ning Chu, is that our false concept of virtue often is nothing but vanity and an attempt to gain praise or to be self-righteous about how 'virtuous' we are, so we may feel superior to others. So many times, she says, this false virtue is accompanied by a dose of human ignorance - and 'virtue' becomes an effective weapon in making humanity a victim.

You make some fine points MCFCinUSA, but delve in philosophy as deep as you like, it's pretty simple, really. I believe morality is important, and I believe my idea of morality is, well, good.

I think if you're in a relationship, any kind of fantasizing about another person is infidelity. I've been around men, in relationships, who talk openly about finding other women they know attractive, and I can't comprehend it. I could never do that. Does that make me better than them? I guess not, but I think I'm doing, or thinking, the right thing. I find some of the threads that pop up on this forum pretty pathetic. "Best Arse"? Really?

Oh, and if we're going along the lines of 'nothing is unnatural in itself, but is made unnatural by others', then we can just go ahead and accept all kinds of evil as not being evil? Knowing good from bad is part of being human.

Love to all xx

Bozo said:
You make some fine points MCFCinUSA, but delve in philosophy as deep as you like, it's pretty simple, really. I believe morality is important, and I believe my idea of morality is, well, good.

I think if you're in a relationship, any kind of fantasizing about another person is infidelity. I've been around men, in relationships, who talk openly about finding other women they know attractive, and I can't comprehend it. I could never do that. Does that make me better than them? I guess not, but I think I'm doing, or thinking, the right thing. I find some of the threads that pop up on this forum pretty pathetic. "Best Arse"? Really?

Oh, and if we're going along the lines of 'nothing is unnatural in itself, but is made unnatural by others', then we can just go ahead and accept all kinds of evil as not being evil? Knowing good from bad is part of being human.

Love to all xx

of course I respect and even admire your position Bozo, but not always are things so black and white.

I look around Bluemoon and some of the stuff I see truly frightens me (and all that's been well documented in my posts, LOL) - but the humour always wins through for me. Football supporters, what can you say? ehehe

what the women's magazines imply when they talk about bottling things in is that the 'wrong-doer' shoulders the burden of their weakness entirely themselves, which is more difficult and weighty than simply confessing all; and in a way they 'protect' their partners in so doing. Ignorance can be bliss - at least to one side; that is their position and apart from the initial transgressions I think it holds water.

naturally I don't condone dishonesty, and neither should the big head be ruled by the little head - but we are all human and those forces do indeed run strong within our family. Women too - even though they're blessed with mystical portals and haven't got the short-end of the stick like us guys.

the overlays of modern society and mores complicate and in some cases frustrate what otherwise might be considered our natural laws.

again, I'd suggest that each and every case is unique unto itself; so we cannot foist our own thoughts and principles (in general) onto everyone else.

intellectually your position cannot be faulted, but in practice, well... I'm sure you have friends and associates just as I do!

- & what was that corollary about 'judge not lest ye be judged... let he who is without sin' and casting the first stone?

(although I'm a bigger fan of Ovid myself; "if you be loved, be worthy to be loved" and "luck affects everything; let your hook always be cast - in the stream where you least expect it, there will be a fish")

Bozo said:

Love to all xx

I don't think you can not fantasize about other women when you're in a relationship though. At the pub last night and my eyes just wouldn't leave some women and I couldn't help of thinking what I'd do to them. Should my morals be in question? I don't think they should for that alone.<br /><br />-- Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:50 pm --<br /><br />
MCFCinUSA said:
what the women's magazines imply when they talk about bottling things in is that the 'wrong-doer' shoulders the burden of their weakness entirely themselves, which is more difficult and weighty than simply confessing all; and in a way they 'protect' their partners in so doing. Ignorance can be bliss - at least to one side; that is their position and apart from the initial transgressions I think it holds water.

I'll disagree with that. I drunkedly cheated about 6 months ago and confessed when I saw my girlfriend the next day. I'm still paying for it now. It is not always easier to confess. I'm always aware that it can be brought up in any argument and I feel very wary that if she ever did it to me, I wouldn't have a foot to stand on.

Bozo said:

Love to all xx

I like you, Bozo, I truly do. But, I have to say your particular stance of morality is just that; a stance. No different to others in theirs. The moral compass that is held by the individual that guides them to good and bad is often offset by the weight another sort of moral compass and, believe me, there are numerous that we have to deal with in this Life.

You reveal another, yourself, as you pass judgement on other's. I would not dream of doing so. My stance is 'each to their own'. Does that make me a better person for not judging others as people? No, it merely is my own stance which will be offset by another morality compass, that I hold.

I know this because I err and to err is to be Human.

That said, I admire the particular stance you feel you have, but it Human nature to find someone attractive or not. We do it with men and women (and children, to a point, gauging whether they will pretty/ handsome when they grow to full form) and that is normal.

You CONSCIOUSLY make the decision not to look (or leer) at the opposite sex, but that's not to say you haven't made a mental note, subconsciously! That's how you separate people! It's natural! How else have met your partners, if not to fantasise about them??

You're no different, my friend, you just tell yourself you are...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.